A couple of Questions about Dining!!

So I am totally confused about the dining. This will be my family's first cruise... so I have been trying to research about the dining. When we booked, MTD was the only one available. Does that mean when it is dinner time we can show up at any time just like we are going to a restaurant at home? Do they give us a time limit to eat? Also,, from what I gathered from my research the buffet is open for every meal correct? Is the buffet limited during dinner time since most people eat at specialty restaurants and/or the main dining room at that time?

Also, a question about snacks... I am travelling with my mom, dad, and 11 year old niece all of whom are huge snack eaters. While on vacation my mom wakes up in the middle of the night to watch tv and eat chips and cookies. Are we allowed to bring these snacks on board? If so we can stop at the store the day before to buy some before boarding. I can do without the snacks but my parents have always loved to stock our hotel rooms with all types of snacks while on vacay.

So I am totally confused about the dining. This will be my family's first cruise... so I have been trying to research about the dining. When we booked, MTD was the only one available. Does that mean when it is dinner time we can show up at any time just like we are going to a restaurant at home? Do they give us a time limit to eat? Also,, from what I gathered from my research the buffet is open for every meal correct? Is the buffet limited during dinner time since most people eat at specialty restaurants and/or the main dining room at that time?

Also, a question about snacks... I am travelling with my mom, dad, and 11 year old niece all of whom are huge snack eaters. While on vacation my mom wakes up in the middle of the night to watch tv and eat chips and cookies. Are we allowed to bring these snacks on board? If so we can stop at the store the day before to buy some before boarding. I can do without the snacks but my parents have always loved to stock our hotel rooms with all types of snacks while on vacay.

Ok I'll give it my best shot.

Yep MTD just arrive when you like, at the busiest times there may be a wait, just like a restaurant on land. Never had a time limit to eat, if by that you mean "you must've out in an hour" however they will deliver your courses fairy quickly after you finish the last.

The buffet is usually fully stocked at night and you may be surprised how many actually eat there each night.

Never had a problem taking snacks on, but there am be an issue taking them off the ship, in some Ports, unless still factory sealed.

Don't worry about bringing snacks on.. well I mean you can but on the Oasis/Allure there are options open till late (Pizza and desserts in the promenade that you can bring back to your room).

Also the Park cafe has bags of chips during lunch hours that you could grab and bring back to your room for a snack later.

So I am totally confused about the dining. This will be my family's first cruise... so I have been trying to research about the dining. When we booked, MTD was the only one available. Does that mean when it is dinner time we can show up at any time just like we are going to a restaurant at home? Yes. But, you can make reservations for specific times and may have to wait until a table is ready. Do they give us a time limit to eat? Not really. Dinner is served at the pace of a higher end, white table cloth restaurant. 1.5 - 2 hours. Though traditional early seating guests are expected to finish by a certain time so the MDR can be prepared for the late seating guests. Also,, from what I gathered from my research the buffet is open for every meal correct? Correct. Is the buffet limited during dinner time since most people eat at specialty restaurants and/or the main dining room at that time? No and options in the Windjammer may be similar to some of what's being served in the MDR. The Windjammer closes for short times between meals to allow staff to change options.

Also, a question about snacks... I am travelling with my mom, dad, and 11 year old niece all of whom are huge snack eaters. While on vacation my mom wakes up in the middle of the night to watch tv and eat chips and cookies. Are we allowed to bring these snacks on board? Yes. If so we can stop at the store the day before to buy some before boarding. I can do without the snacks but my parents have always loved to stock our hotel rooms with all types of snacks while on vacay.

My 2 cents.

Recommend you brining on snacks with you. You can buy pringles (can't remember if there are any other types of chips) and different chocolate bars from the General store on board the ship - but it will be expensive compared to what you pay on land. Enjoy your first cruise.