Parking In Bayonne

maurick

I asked the same question yesterday leaving on Celebrity,s Constellation on Monday so far no one has responded, maybe no one know's I also posted this on the Celebrity board same result no responses. I guess I'll just have to take my chances.

The flooding in Clifton was not that bad compared to other area's mostly highway and local roads but you know when Rt. 3 and Rt. 46 flood the traffic problems become unbearable. Hope to get some info on that paint problem before Monday.

We returned from the Sept.23rd cruise on "Voyager" and were informed ahead of time about the paint on the cars by cruise critic members who had to go thru the ordeal of dealing with paint on their cars upon their return from "Voyager Cruises" out of Cape Liberty. My hubby went out and was able to buy a huge tarp for our new Expeditiion and took no chances leaving it uncovered for 9 days. When We got to the pier We were happy We brought along the tarp as the parking is right next to Bayonne drydock. It took us about 25 minutes to secure the tarp and tie it down securely but We personally felt it was worth while. We returned on Oct.2nd and the tarp was still securely on our Expedition. My hubby checked the tarp and no paint. However, that is no guarantee that the next day a ship would go into drydock and if wind was blowing in right direction, your car would get the paint on it. It is really a disgrace I feel to have to worry about your vehicle when you go off on vacation. So far it looks like Royal Caribbean is still keeping the parking lot where it is presently located. We personally will not sail out of this Port again. I prefer going out of the piers in NYC as you have roof top parking and no concern about paint on your car. Just my opinion! Good luck with parking your cars at Cape Liberty! Ike

You can purchase vinyl tarps almost anywhere. We bought ours 16X12 at a True Value Hardware in our town. They also sell them at Lowes Home Improvement Centers too. Do not buy a car cover that has elastic all around the bottom as the wind will get underneath and bye bye cover.Be sure and measure your cover end to end and side to side and then try it on when you get it home.Tarps comes in different sizes. That is what We did. We met another passenger who covered their car with one of these elastic covers and when We were docking and passing the parking lot, He said it was gone. We used rope in the gromets on the vinyl cover and attached them to several places on the Expedition. It costs us about $27 but it was worth the piece of mind. We feel the only solution for RCL and Celebrity is to build an indoor parking garage for the passengers. Your car is right out in the open next to the Bayonne Drydock Yards. As I said in my previous correspondence, if the wind is blowing in your direction and they are painting a ship, your car will get paint on it. Good Luck and hope I was able to help you out. Enjoy your cruise! Ike

It is hard for RCI as they don't have anything to do with the parking structures. It is the responsibility of the port city, generally. It is in the interests of the port cities to make cruise companies happy becuase of the revenue. So either RCI leans on Bayonne to build a new structure or RCI can leave. But it would be fiscally irresponsible for RCI to make such a capital investment in a port so new and like Bayonne. Lucky for me i have a free shuttle from my area in PA so i will keep on using Cape Liberty.

How far from the pier are you. RCL told us there is a bus that starts in Wiilkes Barre PA, our town is the last stop in NW Jerse, and frist stop coming home. But, it was 43 or 53 pp round trip. Free..sounds so good. I am calling them today.

I don't think future cruisers parking in Port Librerty have much to worry about after all that has happenned with paint on cars. The port acknowledged that a mistake was made when they spray painted a ship in drydock nearby. The insurance company is going to be paying 100,000's of thousands in claims for this mistake.

As far as using a tarp? Really bad idea. Ask any body shop. The wind whipping it back and forth over the paint will take the finish right off. Guess who's insurance will end up paying for your mistake? If you have to have a cover, it must be specifically made for your vehical and must be and outdoor cover.

No paint on our car when we returned to Bayonne yesterday -- but our $60 cover was on the ground behind the car as was the cover on the car next to me. These covers used elastic but seemed quite secure, and it's hard to believe the wind would remove the cover but leave it on the ground next to the car.

No paint on our car when we returned to Bayonne yesterday -- but our $60 cover was on the ground behind the car as was the cover on the car next to me. These covers used elastic but seemed quite secure, and it's hard to believe the wind would remove the cover but leave it on the ground next to the car.
A quality outdoor cover is secured from underneth the car as well as elastic around the bottom.

There was no evidence of damage to our "New Expedition" when We returned from the 9/23 Cruise.We were on a 9 day cruise. We used Our Brand New vinylTarp and it was securely tied down. Several Cars had their covers with elastic blown off. Ours was still in place. My hubby went to great lengths to protect Our vehicle.He placed blankets underneath as a cushion also. We had it waxed before We left as well.He took over 25 minutes to put it on properly. It was no quickie job. Who needs the aggravation,first of all, of having to worry about Our Vehicles when We are suppose to relax and enjoy a cruise. I think you don't know what you are talking about. Did you park your car at Cape Liberty and have the worry of paint on your car? This was going on since May. When We found out about this problem, We had made final payment or We would have cancelled.Would it have been better to get paint on our new vehicle?There is no protection for your vehicles right now at Cape Liberty. You are out in the open and right next to the Drydock.If the Drydock is painting a ship and the wind is in the direction of the parking lot there is nothing in the way to stop the overspray. Too many Cruiseship choices today. Never again out of Cape Liberty for us. Our Car was fine. Vinyl Tarp did no damage whatsoever! Naturally it is up to each individual how they want to deal with this problem & protect their cars. We chose the above........ Leave your car at home if at all possible. Unfortunately this was the only way for us to get to the Port. Ike

I just caught wind of this (no pun intended) in another thread this morning. I was alarmed, as we intend to leave our car at the pier for this trip. On our previous trip out of Bayonne we used a limo service, but decided that it was more cost effective to drive ourselves.

Based on what I am reading here it sound to me like it happened during one cruise. Once the mistake is made and the insurance claims come pouring in I would think that they wouldn't want that to happen again.

We are going to take the chance-if it happens than RCI's insurance should take care of it, correct?

I just caught wind of this (no pun intended) in another thread this morning. I was alarmed, as we intend to leave our car at the pier for this trip. On our previous trip out of Bayonne we used a limo service, but decided that it was more cost effective to drive ourselves.

Based on what I am reading here it sound to me like it happened during one cruise. Once the mistake is made and the insurance claims come pouring in I would think that they wouldn't want that to happen again.

We are going to take the chance-if it happens than RCI's insurance should take care of it, correct?

Royal Caribbean has nothing to do with the paint overspray. The passengers have to go thru Bayonne Drydock Company. This has happened more than once. I have been following this story before my cruise in Sept. Apparently since May. Its a hassell. You can read all about it on the thread "Cape Liberty Parkers or Parking Beware"! No way would my husband want to deal with this company living all the way upstate or get paint on his new "Expedition". Maybe passengers who live closeby don't mind. If you read my threads on this site you will see what We chose to do. It was a real pain and will not go out of this Port again. If you can leave your car at home , You should. There is no protection for your car. It is wide open and the Drydock Company is right next to the parking. If the wind blows the wrong way, You get overspray. Nothing different has been done with the Parking. We sailed on 9/23/05-9day Cruise.

I sorry, but I understand it is the drydock company causing the problem. However, knowing this is going on-I can't believe that RCI just continues to let it happen.

BTW Dutchess County is ALL the way upstate? I live right across the river from you.

For now, I don't want to leave a car parked there until I know it won't happen. We are trying to be picked up and dropped for our cruise nov13th. We live almost a hour away. If we were really far away. I would not leave from this port either. Maybe RCL has nothing to do with this. But, they might to be if passengers don't want to leave from this port and worry about their cars. Has RCL replied to any of these posts?

I can tell you that it is very much the dry dock company's fault and they admitted to it and took responsibility. They were painting the Navy ship and the overspray just blew over to the parking lot where the 600 RCI & Celebrity psgrs. cars were parked. To my knowledge, no one has heard a word from RCI about a resolution to this problem. For that matter, I am still waiting for a resolution from the dry dock's incurance company. I have heard from them, they sent an adjuster, gave me an offer(half of my estimate) which I declined, and I am still waiting. Meanwhile, I save money on car washes because on a black car it looks no different clean or dirty.

For anybody that has traveled out of Bayonne, you know how much "space" is around the ship and terminal. You would think that Central Parking and RCI/Celebrity would move the parking facility so avoid this problem in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived