Safety?

kshearon

We are headed to Belize for the first time in October. We have scheduled an excursion with Carnival, but all I have ever heard is how unsafe the area is. Any insight from past travelers? Thanks!

I'm interested in this too. I overheard someone saying at a party yesterday that her doctor advised her to not even bother getting off the ship in Belize. I didn't hear why.

Edited by amyhoss

You should be fine on a ship excursion. They walk you directly to the bus or transportation. You go out the doors of Terminal 4, as I recall,and the only locals you see are the vendors with signs for passengers who booked private excursions. You go out the door of Terminal 1 and you'll find locals hawking tours and other events. You turn left and walk a half a block, the hawkers are behind you and the only people you'll see between there and the swing bridge are other cruisers. You walk along any street in that immediate area or across the swing bridge into downtown and the locals are all going about their daily work and not paying you any mind at all.

There are parts of Belize City you would not want to wander into, just as there are parts of any U.S. city you would not want to wander into, but these aren't next tot he cruise port. You will drive through some of the outskirts of these areas on the way out of town, depending on which direction you are going. And there are some poor looking areas that are perfectly safe despite the appearance of the structures you see. Belize is NOT the USA or Western Europe. But you're not deep into the areas, only passing through in day light; no roving bands of bandits nor traveling alone at night.

Thank you all so very much! I am very excited to go there, however my parents travel agent told them we needed to avoid it, that upon disembarkation into the port we would be met by a strong military/police presence with machine guns. My first reaction was "yay, safety!" met by my mothers concerns that id be viciously murdered outside the gates. I am excited to see something new, and understand that like anywhere, each city/country has its less than optimal viewing points.

I have walked outside the gates into the city. Don't go alone and don't wear too much bling. I went with my sister and brother-in-law and walked across the infamous swing bridge and to the Victorian style Governors House. The town is rough and ready and kinda of dusty.

Thank you all so very much! I am very excited to go there, however my parents travel agent told them we needed to avoid it, that upon disembarkation into the port we would be met by a strong military/police presence with machine guns. My first reaction was "yay, safety!" met by my mothers concerns that id be viciously murdered outside the gates. I am excited to see something new, and understand that like anywhere, each city/country has its less than optimal viewing points.

Most, if not all, Central and South American police forces carry automatic weapons visibly. You'll see that in any port you stop at.

They're actually building a straw market/farmers market type of building outside the protected port area. The Belizean people are some of the friendliest I've ever met, but the high unemployment rate in Belize City makes for some sketchy areas. Don't let it stop you from experiencing the hospitality of the rest of the country.