Cruising sick

alaskagirl2010

That's pretty much the way it is on a cruise ship....everyone is looking out for themselves.

When's the last time anyone held the elevator door if they saw you coming or picked up their towel off the chair at the pool when they left for lunch?

That's pretty much the way it is everywhere not just on a cruise ship. Why should it be any different on a cruise ship?

Here is some unsolicited advice about cruising while sick.

Do not go on a cruise sick. Truly, it's no fun to be on a cruise while sick. When I'm sick, I want to be home in my own bed. It's tough to find chicken soup on the ship. Princess Cruises doesn't stock diet ginger ale. If you don't have access to shore, the gift shop only stocks minor remedies like travel packs of aspirin and DayQuil.

Buy travel insurance when you book, use it and stay at home with the sniffles or "allergies." Because once you're on board it'll turn into a sore throat and runny nose and you'll pass it to the person on the elevator or buffet line or tour bus. Pretty soon you'll see sick people everywhere you look. And what you'll hear at night is sick people coughing non-stop through the cabin walls.

If you're well when you board, practice intensive hygiene. Wipe down all the surfaces in your cabin with something like Clorox wipes as soon as you get into your cabin. Wash your hands every chance you get. Keep your hands away from your face. Try not to touch railings or elevator buttons. But even so, you might be sick because other passengers don't care about you. (I can attest to that - you can't stop that sick person from sitting next to you on a tour bus.)

If you get sick or (ignoring me) came aboard sick - stay in your room.

You look like hell anyway. Nobody wants to see that.

Don't sleep it off in a public area. I know you want out of the room but be kind to the other passengers.

Don't go on an excursion sick - write it off. I know you paid good money but your head will hurt, you won't be able hear because your ears are blocked, and you won't be able to smell the flowers anyway. And you guessed it, the people on the bus will start out well but surprise surprise they'll be infected by the end.

Don't go to any show sick, we've all heard the poor comedian, singer, instrumentalist contending with the sycopated rhythm of the audience collecting coughing out their lungs. Stay in, you didn't pay for the performance. Google the performer and watch them on YouTube.

The medical center is not a treat. You really don't want to go there. But you face the fact that you're really sick and shuffle down to the medical center. What do you find there? A large crowd of passengers who are already there sick with the exact same thing you have. Several hours later you shuffle back to your room with some standard remedies, cough syrup, uncoated Tylenol, throat lozenges. But what you really want is to just be home.

I probably can't convince you to heed my advice, but I wish I could.

Thanks, I'll take it under advisement.

When's the last time anyone held the elevator door if they saw you coming or picked up their towel off the chair at the pool when they left for lunch?

I do both. :cool:

I also cruise if I have the sniffles :D

I was just sick, I think:confused:. The reason I say "I think" is because I wasn't sick in the stomach, no signs of a cold, but no appetite and I couldn't lift my head off the pillow. There would be no way that I'd be able to get out of bed and goon vacation, nor did I want to. For about a week I felt like this but not like the first day. Flu??? I don't know. The flu comes in many forms.

My point is, is that if I feel well enough to go, I'm well enough to get on the ship. I'm the best judge of that.

I don't think the OP meant to insult anyone. It sounds like he or she was just on a cruise with people that may have been sick and possibly got sick themselves.

Is it being that cheerful that keeps you going.:eek: Hope I'm not on a cruise with you!. Of course you don't cruise if you're sick. Who would do that?

Maybe someone with a cold that will be over in several days allowing that person to enjoy the rest of an 18 day cruise.