Cruising sick

alaskagirl2010

Here is some unsolicited advice about cruising while sick.

Do not go on a cruise sick. Truly, it's no fun to be on a cruise while sick. When I'm sick, I want to be home in my own bed. It's tough to find chicken soup on the ship. Princess Cruises doesn't stock diet ginger ale. If you don't have access to shore, the gift shop only stocks minor remedies like travel packs of aspirin and DayQuil.

Buy travel insurance when you book, use it and stay at home with the sniffles or "allergies." Because once you're on board it'll turn into a sore throat and runny nose and you'll pass it to the person on the elevator or buffet line or tour bus. Pretty soon you'll see sick people everywhere you look. And what you'll hear at night is sick people coughing non-stop through the cabin walls.

If you're well when you board, practice intensive hygiene. Wipe down all the surfaces in your cabin with something like Clorox wipes as soon as you get into your cabin. Wash your hands every chance you get. Keep your hands away from your face. Try not to touch railings or elevator buttons. But even so, you might be sick because other passengers don't care about you. (I can attest to that - you can't stop that sick person from sitting next to you on a tour bus.)

If you get sick or (ignoring me) came aboard sick - stay in your room.

You look like hell anyway. Nobody wants to see that.

Don't sleep it off in a public area. I know you want out of the room but be kind to the other passengers.

Don't go on an excursion sick - write it off. I know you paid good money but your head will hurt, you won't be able hear because your ears are blocked, and you won't be able to smell the flowers anyway. And you guessed it, the people on the bus will start out well but surprise surprise they'll be infected by the end.

Don't go to any show sick, we've all heard the poor comedian, singer, instrumentalist contending with the sycopated rhythm of the audience collecting coughing out their lungs. Stay in, you didn't pay for the performance. Google the performer and watch them on YouTube.

The medical center is not a treat. You really don't want to go there. But you face the fact that you're really sick and shuffle down to the medical center. What do you find there? A large crowd of passengers who are already there sick with the exact same thing you have. Several hours later you shuffle back to your room with some standard remedies, cough syrup, uncoated Tylenol, throat lozenges. But what you really want is to just be home.

I probably can't convince you to heed my advice, but I wish I could.

Buy travel insurance when you book, use it and stay at home with the sniffles or "allergies."

So people with allergies are contagious?

Where did you get your medical degree from?

FYI Chicken soup is available on the ship, just call room service and you'll get all you want.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Where did you get your medical degree from?

FYI Chicken soup is available on the ship, just call room service and you'll get all you want.

Funny. I guess most of the population can't cruise then if the have allergies. Oh no

Funny. I guess most of the population can't cruise then if the have allergies. Oh no

My allergies are driving me nuts right now. Guess I should just stay home so I can avoid all those pesky live oak trees on the ship :rolleyes:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Edited by Cruzin-K

OP - thanks for your post. I'm sure you didn't mean to imply people with allergies should stay home. I saw the parentheses around the word but I just wanted to make sure. No one can "catch" my hay fever. Unfortunately, I suffer with that alone. That would not, however, cause me to cancel as Allegra D temporarily suppresses some of the symptoms. If I were getting over a cold and just had some residual chest congestion, I'd still go on the cruise. However, I did cancel once after I flew down to Orlando and was about to board. I could feel myself succumbing to a horrible virus. Had trip insurance and got every penny back. I guess the bottom line is people will do what they want. I will be as vigilant as possible with the knowledge that if I do catch a cold, etc. from someone else, I'll make the best out of it.

When I said I can't imagine cruising sick I meant actually sick. Allergies are quite a different story. I love the "live oak" comment. :) However, I think that perhaps the quote marks around the word "allergies" in the post by the OP may have been meant to address those who actually are sick with a cold or something and try to pass it off as "allergies" to other people rather than admit they came aboard with a communicable illness.

My wife is sensitive to dust. Sometimes she will sneeze - LOUDLY. She is not the "delicate achoo" type. :rolleyes: It doesn't mean she is sick or that she is contagious. She does cover her mouth and nose when sneezing (generally sneezes into her inner elbow) but it can be quite startling when it happens. We worry that folks will think she's sick but we know she isn't.

Cruising while sick sounds absolutely miserable. We always have the "cancel for any reason" insurance. It would be better to eat the cost of the insurance than to spend a miserable time onboard.

Edited by Thrak

Well we all sign the form before we board saying we have no bugs ( Ha Ha for some people )

DW and I always pack a goodly amount of remedies and a spray can of disinfectant we use in the cabin. How far can you go to stop others being generous with their germs.

I think the Op means well with the comments. I've thought the same thing.

Having sailed with a boatload of Coughing Canadians (they were coughing boarding in Vancouver, and continued to do so thru the cruise), I can understand how the Op feels.

HOW the ship even let them on?

You could tell it was bad colds, Not allergies.

NOT fun sailing with people who are trying to pull a fast one, and sail anyway.

Plus they gave their sicky cold & cough (Not allergies) To Me! :mad:

Edited by CalLuvsCrusingToo

OP - thanks for your post. I'm sure you didn't mean to imply people with allergies should stay home. I saw the parentheses around the word but I just wanted to make sure. No one can "catch" my hay fever. Unfortunately, I suffer with that alone. That would not, however, cause me to cancel as Allegra D temporarily suppresses some of the symptoms. If I were getting over a cold and just had some residual chest congestion, I'd still go on the cruise. However, I did cancel once after I flew down to Orlando and was about to board. I could feel myself succumbing to a horrible virus. Had trip insurance and got every penny back. I guess the bottom line is people will do what they want. I will be as vigilant as possible with the knowledge that if I do catch a cold, etc. from someone else, I'll make the best out of it.

Ooops - I meant quotes - not parentheses - around the word allergies. Dieting for my next cruise and I think I'm losing brain cells along with weight!!!!

How could anyone be allergic to fresh sea air? I traveled when I was sick. I picked it up on the airline. The woman in back of me keep hacking and coughing the whole 4 hours of flight. Two days later I got it. I rolled with it, lay low, rest and a couple of days later I was fine. No way was I going to fly back home. Never got noro either.

Edited by elliair

Fifteen years ago,my DH and I sailed on the QE2 ,transatlantic NYC to Southampton, England.

It was a "trip of a lifetime"for us.

I sailed with a significant asthma flare-up that required two inhalers and a high dose of Prednisone.

I felt horrible with the severe asthma symptoms and the nasty side effects of the medications.

The cruise itself was an amazing experience ,as well as a few days spent in London.

However,I did learn a lesson- never go on a cruise or any vacation,for that matter,when very sick.

It is not worth dealing with symptoms while trying to enjoy a travel experience.

For us,thankfully, there have been a number of other "trips of a lifetime".

We always get travel insurance and we know that if a vacation is spoiled by a sudden illness,so be it.

Another opportunity will come along at another time.

Another thought...

As to wiping down the cabin with disinfectant.

I can understand the reason for this,but if it is thought out,the minute you leave the cabin or the steward enters the cabin,you become subjected to germs.

My DH and I choose to wash our hands often,use a hand sanitizer when necessary, try not to touch handrails,elevator buttons etc.,and we keep our hands from our faces.

By using these precautions, we have not gotten sick on any cruises we have taken.

To the OP, with all due respect - I would suggest your future travel plans be limited to staying in your home, giant plastic bubble wrap optional. In the modern world, people are on the move - major travel adjustments can be difficult. If / when I become too immune compromised to risk being out in public, I will stay home.

To the OP, with all due respect - I would suggest your future travel plans be limited to staying in your home, giant plastic bubble wrap optional. In the modern world, people are on the move - major travel adjustments can be difficult. If / when I become too immune compromised to risk being out in public, I will stay home.

Well stated and my sentiments too.....:)

Here is some unsolicited advice about cruising while sick.

Do not go on a cruise sick. Truly, it's no fun to be on a cruise while sick. When I'm sick, I want to be home in my own bed. It's tough to find chicken soup on the ship. Princess Cruises doesn't stock diet ginger ale. If you don't have access to shore, the gift shop only stocks minor remedies like travel packs of aspirin and DayQuil.

Buy travel insurance when you book, use it and stay at home with the sniffles or "allergies." Because once you're on board it'll turn into a sore throat and runny nose and you'll pass it to the person on the elevator or buffet line or tour bus. Pretty soon you'll see sick people everywhere you look. And what you'll hear at night is sick people coughing non-stop through the cabin walls.

If you're well when you board, practice intensive hygiene. Wipe down all the surfaces in your cabin with something like Clorox wipes as soon as you get into your cabin. Wash your hands every chance you get. Keep your hands away from your face. Try not to touch railings or elevator buttons. But even so, you might be sick because other passengers don't care about you. (I can attest to that - you can't stop that sick person from sitting next to you on a tour bus.)

If you get sick or (ignoring me) came aboard sick - stay in your room.

You look like hell anyway. Nobody wants to see that.

Don't sleep it off in a public area. I know you want out of the room but be kind to the other passengers.

Don't go on an excursion sick - write it off. I know you paid good money but your head will hurt, you won't be able hear because your ears are blocked, and you won't be able to smell the flowers anyway. And you guessed it, the people on the bus will start out well but surprise surprise they'll be infected by the end.

Don't go to any show sick, we've all heard the poor comedian, singer, instrumentalist contending with the sycopated rhythm of the audience collecting coughing out their lungs. Stay in, you didn't pay for the performance. Google the performer and watch them on YouTube.

The medical center is not a treat. You really don't want to go there. But you face the fact that you're really sick and shuffle down to the medical center. What do you find there? A large crowd of passengers who are already there sick with the exact same thing you have. Several hours later you shuffle back to your room with some standard remedies, cough syrup, uncoated Tylenol, throat lozenges. But what you really want is to just be home.

I board all the ships that I cruise on with a cough. It is a side effect of my ACE inhibitor for blood pressure. You won't catch it. It's not contagious. But I do have a cough. Don't make blanket statements. You have no idea what plays into another person's "symptoms".

For those who wipe down their entire cabin upon arrival what do you do for the rest of the ship. You have a totally disinfected cabin then open the cabin door and step out into a world with thousands of people in a confined space. Sorry but you can do it if you want but having been on several cruises on many a flight and stayed in many hotels I have not had a single illness that I or any doctor could attribute to those type of atmospheres. You do what you think is right but telling others that is what they should do just doesn't seem right. Each to their own.

I wouldn't have known any of this

I know, huh? :rolleyes:

What a weird assumption, right.? Oh, and the ACE inhibitors--yep--been there.

What motivated this little lecture anyway, OP?

Just my 2 cents. There are certain levels of illness where you should stay home (anything where you are incapacitated or an acute condition that may require advanced medical care from a doctor). I would not count the common cold as being one of them. The side effects in most cases greatly outlast the contagious period of most common illnesses which I believe the OP is discussing in their post. I do buy travel insurance for every trip I take. However I am not willing to take a financial loss because I have a cough. Also, we do not have the luxury of booking a cruise any time we wish. It often requires a great deal of planning with both work and family life and a missed cruise generally means a year before we could go again. The truth of the matter is people live their lives sick and that's why disease spreads. We all don't have the luxury of staying home when we fall ill but do the best we can to prevent the spread of germs. Personally, I wouldn't cancel a cruise because I came down with a cold. I practice good hygiene on board and enjoy my vacation.

I think the OP had their heart in the right place, but their opinion is a little too strict in my opinion.

I guess you are serious but just what do you expect people who are sick to do? Stay home to avoid passing it on?

Good luck with that suggestion.

If I'm sick & still able to get to the ship, I'm going. Short of having walking pneumonia if I've paid for the cruise I'm not staying home simply to avoid passing it to other people.

I've gotten plenty of coughs & colds being on a ship so I'm sure most other people have the same view.

Oh and btw- I'll be doing the tours I've paid for also so don't sit next to me.

Sorry about that.

If you only had a cold your insurance would laugh at you if you tried to claim.

I had an allergy once caused by new varnish on the ship. I had to take antihistamines for the whole cruise. I probably sneezed a bit too. :eek: (into a hankie of course)

I think the OP was trying to be helpful WHY are so MANY people being snide and nasty? If you do not agree with the OP just close the thread and read something else.

Why not comment? The OP was giving unsolicited advice to everyone they thought shouldn't be on the same ship as them because what they though was being unfair & possibly causing them to get sick. Good luck with that idea. LOL

Not helpful in the least.