Times of flights to Caribbean

jasperado

I am tempted to book Azura 6th or 7th January 2017 in the Caribbean. When trying a dummy booking online the hotel option comes up...£50pp. What time do the flights leave from Gatwick? We will be using the train from Portsmouth harbour after getting off the Isle of Wight. So I will need to know do I need a hotel or can I travel straight through. I dont want to not book the hotel option and then find that I might need it later.

Help please :)

All of the flights that we have done to either Ventura or azura to caribbean have left gatwick either 8.45 or 9.15pm.

They are never much later than this.

Hope that helps

Ahhh evening flights......yes that takes the hotel option out of the game plan. Thankyou for that.

Don't know if you would be interested but there is a flight from Bournemouth Airport on 7th January for the Azura. Flight leaves at 11.10 - arrival by 8.30 should be early enough and no hike to the departure gate! I should say though that it's £100 p.p. more than the Gatwick flight.

All of the flights that we have done to either Ventura or azura to caribbean have left gatwick either 8.45 or 9.15pm.

Hope that helps

Are you sure? This looks like the times we have gone in the past but 8.00 - 9.00 am. Leaving at 8.00/9.00pm would get you into Barbados at 1am or 2am.

Hope that helps

These times are incorrect, Thomas Cook usually 0935hrs and Thomson around 1015hrs. The flight is usually between 8 and 9 hrs. depending on aircraft type. Take off time difference of -4 hrs making mid afternoon arrival.

Martyn

Don't know if you would be interested but there is a flight from Bournemouth Airport on 7th January for the Azura. Flight leaves at 11.10 - arrival by 8.30 should be early enough and no hike to the departure gate! I should say though that it's £100 p.p. more than the Gatwick flight.

Yes I have looked at the Bournemouth option, but to be honest, its probably more of a mission to get from Lymington to Bournemouth than it is to get from Pompey to Gatwick. And the £100 premium needs to be factored in.

But I see from your following post that you are questioning the am/pm difference that was already quoted. That timing really is the issue. If we have to have an early am check in we need to look at an overnighter somewhere closer, because at that time of year, any storms will stop the ferries and they are few and far between late night/early morn.

Jasper ado

All flights out to the Caribbean for P&O cruises leave their respective UK airports in the morning to ensure a mid to late afternoon arrival in Barbados.

We always take the flight from Glasgow which normally departs Glasgow at approx 1100 hours and is normally one of the last flights to leave the UK, Gatwick flights always leave earlier than us.

These times are incorrect, Thomas Cook usually 0935hrs and Thomson around 1015hrs. The flight is usually between 8 and 9 hrs. depending on aircraft type. Take off time difference of -4 hrs making mid afternoon arrival.

Martyn

Hi mkh

9.30ish am makes a check-in of 6.30am??

That will mean an overnighter and so a hotel option as opposed to the £70 obs unless any one else knows something different? ;)

This forum is invaluable for tips and information. Long may it continue :)

Thankyou all.

Jasper ado

All flights out to the Caribbean for P&O cruises leave their respective UK airports in the morning to ensure a mid to late afternoon arrival in Barbados.

We always take the flight from Glasgow which normally departs Glasgow at approx 1100 hours and is normally one of the last flights to leave the UK, Gatwick flights always leave earlier than us.

Thankyou Sanjam

Looks like a morning exit from the UK so I will factor in a pre-flight sleepover.

NOW.......

what time do we get back.....can I make a late ferry back to the Isle of Wight or do I have to have another night away....(my cats will sulk for weeks!!! lol )

Hi mkh

9.30ish am makes a check-in of 6.30am??

That will mean an overnighter and so a hotel option as opposed to the £70 obs unless any one else knows something different? ;)

This forum is invaluable for tips and information. Long may it continue :)

Thankyou all.

Just a bit more info. If P and O are offering an OBS or Hotel and it is £70 each take that and book the hotel yourself, we used Premier Inn last month £70 for the room and about 200yds to the terminal. Your check in times are about right. Good Luck.

Martyn

It's an overnight flight back. Leaving Barbados about 5 pm and factoring in the time difference arrive UK around 6-7am give or take.

PS I should have said that because of the late departure from Barbados you have time to do something off the ship during the morning, come back for lunch then await you transfer to the airport during the afternoon. Quite civilised!

Edited by kruzseeka

Jasperado

The return flights leave Barbados starting approx 1600hrs Barbados time and arrive back in the UK at approx 0500hrs UK time onwards, again the Glasgow flight normally leaves Barbados approx1830hrs and arrives in Glasgow approx 0700hrs and is normally the last flight to leave Barbados.

Therefore you should make your ferry ok.

Just a bit more info. If P and O are offering an OBS or Hotel and it is £70 each take that and book the hotel yourself, we used Premier Inn last month £70 for the room and about 200yds to the terminal. Your check in times are about right. Good Luck.

Martyn

Thankyou.....tonight you are the moneysavingexpert :D

Im going to look at the Bournemouth option but that will mean having to traverse the Isle of Wight for 20 miles. Now on the mainland that will take a blink of an eye....but here we have to pack a thermos and sandwiches for the journey :eek:

and we might not get there the same day!!

Edited by jasperado

We flew at Christmas. Our outbound flight from Gatwick was 09.40. We were about 20 mins late leaving but arrived in Barbados about 25 minutes early (scheduled arrival time was 14.55, we had landed by 14.30).

Check-in was supposed to open at 05.30, but in fact didn't open until 06.30. All our paperwork from P&O said the hand luggage limit was 5 kg per person, but big signs at the dedicated Thomas Cook P&O check-in desk said 6 kg! Would have been helpful to know that when we were struggling to find space for all DS's GCSE revision books!

Inbound flight left Barbados at 16.55 (again late leaving - they forgot to load some of the food!) and landed at 05.15. We left the ship at 12.30. We were pretty much the first bus load of passengers there, but there were 4 other ships in port and in the course of the afternoon they were bussed in, resulting in an overcrowded terminal, seating at a premium and frayed tempers. Also, some of the P&O flights (to Manchester, Birmingham and possibly Glasgow) left before ours did, so why we were bussed in first? For a small terminal it's nice enough, but there's not a lot to do, so be prepared. Also it was otherwise very quiet as it was New Year's day - don't know how much local/other traffic/pax there would be at other times.

Still doing my sums.....

kruzseeka.......any idea what time the return flight would be to Bournemouth?

Thankyou for your time and input :)

You're welcome.

And yes, I do know the return flight times ;)

Barbados 18.25 (21/01/17) - arrive Bournemouth 06.35 (22/01/17)

PS. In case it makes a difference to you it's a Dreamliner from Gatwick and a Thomson flight from Bournemouth but not a Dreamliner. Our TA phoned P&O and said it was a 737 (?) I looked it up and it appears to be the one with the 2-4-2 layout but don't hold me to that.

Edited by kruzseeka

We flew at Christmas. Our outbound flight from Gatwick was 09.40. We were about 20 mins late leaving but arrived in Barbados about 25 minutes early (scheduled arrival time was 14.55, we had landed by 14.30).

Check-in was supposed to open at 05.30, but in fact didn't open until 06.30. All our paperwork from P&O said the hand luggage limit was 5 kg per person, but big signs at the dedicated Thomas Cook P&O check-in desk said 6 kg! Would have been helpful to know that when we were struggling to find space for all DS's GCSE revision books!

Inbound flight left Barbados at 16.55 (again late leaving - they forgot to load some of the food!) and landed at 05.15. We left the ship at 12.30. We were pretty much the first bus load of passengers there, but there were 4 other ships in port and in the course of the afternoon they were bussed in, resulting in an overcrowded terminal, seating at a premium and frayed tempers. Also, some of the P&O flights (to Manchester, Birmingham and possibly Glasgow) left before ours did, so why we were bussed in first? For a small terminal it's nice enough, but there's not a lot to do, so be prepared. Also it was otherwise very quiet as it was New Year's day - don't know how much local/other traffic/pax there would be at other times.

Thankyou for your time and help.

Oh dear, is the journey a bit stressful?? To be honest, we love the Southampton loading/unloading situ. 10 minutes off the island we are on holiday. But we do not have the luxury of time for the sea travel to the Caribbean. So for me to dip the toes in a warm blue sea, edged by a white sand and with the palm trees swaying in the breezes, I need to get on a plane.

Going to book it tomorrow.......hyperventillating already :D

Thankyou everyone

You're welcome.

And yes, I do know the return flight times ;)

Barbados 18.25 (21/01/17) - arrive Bournemouth 06.35 (22/01/17)

PS. In case it makes a difference to you it's a Dreamliner from Gatwick and a Thomson flight from Bournemouth but not a Dreamliner. Our TA phoned P&O and said it was a 737 (?) I looked it up and it appears to be the one with the 2-4-2 layout but don't hold me to that.

Hmmmm on the Bournemouth option there are no hotel fees at all but we have a £100pp premium.Swings and round-a-bouts!

I will look at the train situ from Lymington to Bournemouth.

Is a dreamliner a super-duper plane? I HAVE seen many comments on this, but as I have only just got interested in going to the Caribbean I have not paid attention.

This enjoying yourself malarkey is hard work!! :D

Jasperado

The aircraft from Bournemouth will be a Thomson 787 Dreamliner 2-4-2 config. If it was a 737, do not go, it would fall out of the sky before it got there.

:o I did think I could have the aircraft type wrong! Clearly I have.

However the TA definitely said is wasn't a Dreamliner from Bournemouth as advised by P&O (she rang them whilst we were there). Would it be the 767?

Jasperado,

We like the Dreamliner - it's a comfortable and more spacious plane (in economy - I can't speak for Premium) and has an airy feel. We have flown on other Thomson planes to the Caribbean and I do prefer the 2-4-2 arrangement. The Dreamliner is 3-3-3 which I'm not so keen on - but from choice I'd go for the Dreamliner but the convenience for us of a Bournemouth flight means we haven't got the Dreamliner this time.

Edited by kruzseeka

I am finding this thread really useful too as we are considering a Carribean cruise next March,probably on Britannia. We will join at ST Lucia. Does anyone know what type of plane etc it will be from Gatwick? How soon can you prebook seats and is it worth paying for an upgraded seat if possible?

:o I did think I could have the aircraft type wrong! Clearly I have.

However the TA definitely said is wasn't a Dreamliner from Bournemouth as advised by P&O (she rang them whilst we were there). Would it be the 767?

Kruzseeka

You are correct the seating on the Dreamliner is 3-3-3 not as I said. But ever flight from Bournemouth for the last two seasons to Barbados has been the 787 Dreamliner just checked it on FlightAware. Thomson have 6 Dreamliners so very unlikely it would be 767. When are you going ?

Martyn

Edited by mkh999
poor spelling,getting late