Times of flights to Caribbean

jasperado

I am finding this thread really useful too as we are considering a Carribean cruise next March,probably on Britannia. We will join at ST Lucia. Does anyone know what type of plane etc it will be from Gatwick? How soon can you prebook seats and is it worth paying for an upgraded seat if possible?

Thomson 787 Dreamliner or Thomas Cook A330

Usually 10 to 12 weeks before departure

Not if its the usual £299 each for Premium, but extra legroom at £50 each way could be worth considering.

Martyn

Kruzseeka

You are correct the seating on the Dreamliner is 3-3-3 not as I said. But ever flight from Bournemouth for the last two seasons to Barbados has been the 787 Dreamliner just checked it on FlightAware. Thomson have 6 Dreamliners so very unlikely it would be 767. When are you going ?

Martyn

7th Jan - same date Jasperado is considering.

Well that would be a bonus if you are correct Martyn. I'm only going by what the TA was told by P&O but how reliable that info is I wouldn't know. We did consider Gatwick as it was cheaper and was a Dreamliner flight but settled for convenience in the end. If we'd gone for Gatwick and it is indeed a Dreamliner from Bournemouth, I'd have been a bit miffed. As it is, we're expecting a 767 and if it turns out as you say, to be a Dreamliner, I'll be quite chuffed!

Jasperado

Just had another thought about your crossing Portsmouth v Lymington. Isn't the train station by the ferry dock at Portsmouth? If so, that might be easier - I'd missed that part of the equation earlier assuming you'd be travelling across by car. (Didn't I once read it was the most expensive ferry crossing in the world looking at distance v cost? So perhaps not the most economical option with a car.)

Train from Lymington to Bournemouth takes you to the Interchange. There is an airport shuttle from there (the A1 service) but it only runs hourly and I'm not sure how early it starts in the winter. It's 7 am currently. If that didn't work out, it would be a taxi which would be about £20 (disproportionate for a 4.5 mile journey compared with Southampton 35 miles @ approx £50).

So a little more to add to your deliberations. I think via Portsmouth may be more straightforward.

And another thought...... re overnight hotel - I would agree with mkh999 the Premier Inn at Gatwick North is very convenient - just across from departures and the train. Also if you catch the pricing at the right time perhaps about 3 months out they often have discounts. I think we paid £49.00 last time - but even at @ £70 it beats the £50 p.p booking through P&O. It's a comfortable room, they have a Costa Coffee shop and a reasonable restaurant for an evening meal should you wish.

All of the flights that we have done to either Ventura or azura to caribbean have left gatwick either 8.45 or 9.15pm.

They are never much later than this.

Hope that helps

Really sorry, meant to say am.

So yes we hav definately flown between 8.45 - 915 am. We did iin December arriving approx 2.15 pm Barbados time.

Sorry for any confusion..

Thankyou for your time and help.

Oh dear, is the journey a bit stressful?? To be honest, we love the Southampton loading/unloading situ. 10 minutes off the island we are on holiday. But we do not have the luxury of time for the sea travel to the Caribbean. So for me to dip the toes in a warm blue sea, edged by a white sand and with the palm trees swaying in the breezes, I need to get on a plane.

Going to book it tomorrow.......hyperventillating already :D

Thankyou everyone

No jasperado, the journey wasn't stressful at all. It's a very long time since I've flown long haul and it was a pleasant experience. We were very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the in-flight food - James Martin - which actually tasted like real food. DH, who can be fussy, liked it too.

There were one or two little niggles, such as no headsets for the entertainment system on the return flight. The flight attendant said we had been told to keep them on the way out, which we categorically were not, as evidenced by an entire plane full of pax who hadn't saved them!

The transfers and check-in processes were swift and efficient and stepping off the plane into the warm sunshine was just bliss. We had a wonderful time and I'm sure you will too. We had to wait a few minutes on the tarmac for the bus, then it took about half an hour to drive to the port and around 15 minutes to be processed, then we were on board, so around an hour from landing.

I'm sorry to say it was the German passengers who were getting shirty at Barbados airport. There was a Mein Schiff ship in port and its passengers seemed to think they were a cut above and we should just make way for them. Gave them rather a shock when they got fluent retorts from me to their rude comments which they thought no-one could understand! :D

BTW the Gatwick plane was a refurbished Airbus A330, which I found to be perfectly OK, but then again I've never flown Business/Premium. Anyway, it was a 2-4-2 configuration, we were in cattle class and it was OK. It cost £20 pp one way to pre-book a seat, it went up from £15.00 shortly before booking for our flights opened. :(

Jasperado

Just had another thought about your crossing Portsmouth v Lymington. Isn't the train station by the ferry dock at Portsmouth? If so, that might be easier - I'd missed that part of the equation earlier assuming you'd be travelling across by car. (Didn't I once read it was the most expensive ferry crossing in the world looking at distance v cost? So perhaps not the most economical option with a car.)

Train from Lymington to Bournemouth takes you to the Interchange. There is an airport shuttle from there (the A1 service) but it only runs hourly and I'm not sure how early it starts in the winter. It's 7 am currently. If that didn't work out, it would be a taxi which would be about £20 (disproportionate for a 4.5 mile journey compared with Southampton 35 miles @ approx £50).

So a little more to add to your deliberations. I think via Portsmouth may be more straightforward.

Hello again :)

Now you mention it, it will be a lot better for us to go to Pompey as we are in Ryde, and I'm sure the train transfer will be just as easy to get to Bournemouth. With the later departure time we would not need to sleepover. You are correct about the ferry crossing being the most expensive in the world! Last week I wanted to take the car and just myself over the other side from Tuesday til Thursday. I was quoted £107 return! I went by fastcat and bus in the end!

Im going to make my final decision regarding Gatwick or Bournemouth today and book!

Thankyou everyone for sharing your knowledge :)

Thankyou to everyone who answered all my questions.

The closure to this story is....DH and I are booked on Azura 21st January (bit more expensive for the 2 weeks later but maybe the weather might be more settled??)

Cabin B754 (trying an aft facing cabin, hope the wash isn't too loud :eek:)

Flying ex Gatwick (Premiere Inn North £62, walk to terminal) cheaper than the Bournemouth supplements and hotel cheaper than P and O.

Keep up the good work everyone!! :D

Edited by jasperado
speeling :D

Thankyou to everyone who answered all my questions.

The closure to this story is....DH and I are booked on Azura 21st January (bit more expensive for the 2 weeks later but maybe the weather might be more settled??)

Cabin B754 (trying an aft facing cabin, hope the wash isn't too loud :eek:)

Flying ex Gatwick (Premiere Inn North £62, walk to terminal) cheaper than the Bournemouth supplements and hotel cheaper than P and O.

Keep up the good work everyone!! :D

Hope you enjoy your cabin on the stern. We loved staying in B749 and have just booked it again for our next Azura cruise :). Can also recommend the Premier Inn. We stayed in the Gatwick Hilton recently - it was awful; never again. PI every time for us from now on. HAve a great time in the Caribbean.

Edited by NauticalMiss

Hi Jasperado

Good choice we are booked on that cruise also, flying from Glasgow, unfortunately we have pay the £100.00 supplement as we only stay a 10 minute drive from the airport. Might meet you onboard, you never know.

You never know!! Its a long time since I left Glasgow (moved south when young) and I cant help seeking out the accent!

Anyway....long time to go yet and much planning to do :)

Regards

Jasperado - hey there fellow islander! We're in exactly the same mindset as you that Soton is SO easy!

I want to do Oceana in Venice next month, but then I just think 'ugh' at the effort of flying! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jasperado - hey there fellow islander! We're in exactly the same mindset as you that Soton is SO easy!

I want to do Oceana in Venice next month, but then I just think 'ugh' at the effort of flying! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Happy Girl

Yep....off redjet, £6 taxi to Mayflower, drink in hand 30mins after leaving the rock......can't beat it, BUT

I want to see the Caribbean, and haven;t got the time luxury to cruise there and back.

We are going to fastcat and then train to Gatwick night before and stay at Premier Inn. On return we have all day to get back.

I want to do Venice as well, but will have to wait a while....no money left!! lol Oceana is lovely, Venice is meant to be wonderful.....Go Girl!! :)

Regards

Hope you enjoy your cabin on the stern. We loved staying in B749 and have just booked it again for our next Azura cruise :). Can also recommend the Premier Inn. We stayed in the Gatwick Hilton recently - it was awful; never again. PI every time for us from now on. HAve a great time in the Caribbean.

Thank you for your good wishes.

When we were on Ventura last year and walked on the promenade deck by the stern, the noise from the propeller and wash was really loud :eek:

but I am hoping that with the added loft, the cabin will be quieter, because folks on here have said that aft cabins are really special. There was one left when I went to the TA and a little voice said "go for it".........hope it wasn't my worst enemy speaking!!!

Booked the Premier Inn because the TA said it was so convenient and as we need to go up the night before, there was no point in "waiting for something better"!!

Regards Kathy