Select drinks package question.

Hi,

A question for anyone who has previously had the select drinks package.

We have this included in the cruise rate from the UK. We wouldn't usually opt to have this but for some reason in the UK at the time we booked the only option was a price with the drinks and tips included.

I read up on what's included and saw that wine up to $8 was on the list. When checking a wine menu I noted that only one wine of white, red and rose was available in the "up to $8 category" with a much wider selection at $9 and above which included our wine of choice pinot grigio. Thinking I would be paying between $9 and $12 per glass I contacted RCCL regarding upgrading our package to include the higher priced wines. I was told I didn't need to upgrade the select package and that if I wanted the higher priced wines I would only pay the difference in price above $8.

I have not heard of this option to pay the difference before. Could anyone who has the select package please confirm this is correct.

Thanks,

Sean.

Yes you pay the difference between your package allowance and the price of the drink you purchase, but I think they may charge the 18% service on the difference. The 18% service charge is included on the package you have. Or you could upgrade your package and pay the difference between the two.

Martyn

Thanks for the prompt replies.

I was hoping that the agent was right and you have confirmed this for me. I will stick with the select package as neither of us drink spirits and we have the Diamond drinks perks.

With Royal Caribbean you only pay the difference, unlike some others where you have to pay the full amount.

I understood that this was the case for Premium but not select.

or am i getting confused with celebrity?

Last year we had Select and did not know this was an option :(

I read up on what's included and saw that wine up to $8 was on the list. When checking a wine menu I noted that only one wine of white, red and rose was available in the "up to $8 category" with a much wider selection at $9 and above which included our wine of choice pinot grigio.

There is a Pinot Grigio that fits in the select package. I am sorry but I don't remember what kind it was but it was definitely available because I had some every night at dinner and I was on the select package

In the UK the price of the select package covers wines up to $9 as they already include the gratuity in the price as they know the UK Population doesn't want to see an 18% gratuity on every drink!

There are a few nice wines on there

I understood that this was the case for Premium but not select.

or am i getting confused with celebrity?

Last year we had Select and did not know this was an option :(

It is a bit confusing.

With the Select package, you only pay the difference if you order a glass of wine that is more expensive than the package limit. However, if you order a cocktail, you pay full price.

With the Premium and Ultimate packages, you only pay the difference if you order either a glass of wine or a cocktail that is more expensive than the package limit.

DH has select as he is primarily a beer drinker. I have premium as I like the "boat" drinks. The way I understand it he can pretty much get any beer he wants and I can get pretty much anything I want except Starbucks and fresh juices. We both can get soda and non-alcohol cocktails (frozen and non) and I can get bottled water and coffee drinks with liqueur as long as they aren't from Starbucks. All without up charges.

Does all of the above sound correct to you Bob? Let me also take this time to thank you sharing your valuable knowledge - and always in a non-judgemental, non-snarky, reasonable manner[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

DH has select as he is primarily a beer drinker. I have premium as I like the "boat" drinks. The way I understand it he can pretty much get any beer he wants and I can get pretty much anything I want except Starbucks and fresh juices. We both can get soda and non-alcohol cocktails (frozen and non) and I can get bottled water and coffee drinks with liqueur as long as they aren't from Starbucks. All without up charges.

Does all of the above sound correct to you Bob? Let me also take this time to thank you sharing your valuable knowledge - and always in a non-judgemental, non-snarky, reasonable manner[emoji3]

Yes, that sounds correct to me, and thank-you for the kind words.

Can someone confirm if the Select Package includes sparkling wine options?

They offer Domain St. Michelle and Valdo Brut Prosecco which are currently available with no extra charge under the Select package.

Hi, we went on explorer last year with the select package. Whilst the select package was fine for me it wasn't so good for the wife as she enjoys coctails and spirits. I upgraded her package to the next one and it worked out approx £10 per day. All she had to drink is 2 cocktails per day and we were up! She basically drank anything she wanted and we never got charged any extra even champagne! Also bottled water is included in the next package up so we all won as she grabbed a bottle now and again to store in our fridge. What i can't get my head round was the fact i could drink myself silly on beers and ciders all day long but could not get bottled water. Crazy!;)

We are on Indy this June again for 2 weeks with the select package i will ofcourse upgrade the wife's again.

Fascinating reading. We are sailing on Rhapsody in a few weeks and have the Select package included for the first time. We are Diamond Plus ( just) so don't know how much we will need it as we are not big drinkers, usually only one or two per evening. However I'm very glad to be able to use the vouchers for bottled water.

Fascinating reading. We are sailing on Rhapsody in a few weeks and have the Select package included for the first time. However I'm very glad to be able to use the vouchers for bottled water.

Not sure you get bottled water with the select package or do you get vouchers for water as D+

Edited by *helena*

I thought both guests in the cabin had to upgrade the package? I'm I right then after reading this thread that that is not the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I thought both guests in the cabin had to upgrade the package? I'm I right then after reading this thread that that is not the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No, both guests do not need to upgrade, Just the one!

That is my understand as well...you just pay the difference and can order "up" and just pay the difference which is very nice! We had some wonderful upscale wines in December on the Indy and plan to do the same in June on Oasis!