Charles DeGaulle Airport to Paris Transportation

artvlay

Where is your hotel? What is "too difficult'? Can you take a subway?

We can take the subway, our hotel is Hotel Paris Bastille a few blocks from Gare du Lyon. Didn't know if we had to take a bunch of trains. Is the train station at CDG easy to navigate? Thank you

how many people are transferring? The RER is about $12.00 pp and a door to door shuttle is not much more. A quick google indicate supper shuttle is about $40 for two. After a long flight we always give ourselves the luxury of door to door.

how many people are transferring? The RER is about $12.00 pp and a door to door shuttle is not much more. A quick google indicate supper shuttle is about $40 for two. After a long flight we always give ourselves the luxury of door to door.

I feel as you do, but the flight arrives at 8am and we are thinking it will take a long time in rush hour traffic.

Public transportation costs from CDG are steep by most European standards (but then most things in Paris are). Present RER cost is 10€. Taxi to Bastille is north of 50€. Shuttle is not that cheap either. Super shuttle shared is 43€ for 2 people, hardly a bargain. May be there are cheaper ones around.

Edited by hkto

Flying in to Paris before cruise. Any suggestion for transport from airport to Paris hotel that doesn't cost an arm & a leg and isn't too difficult? Thanks

Another option is the Roissybus http://www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/r_61852/roissybus/

which costs 11 Euro each way and stops at each terminal of CDG. The ride time depends upon traffic of course but averages 45 min-1 hour. The destination in Paris is listed as Opera, but the actual street is rue Scribe/rue Auber...just around the corner from the Opera - it's a fairly central location in Paris - from here you are either a very short metro or taxi ride to your hotel. I have used the Roissybus more than any other method to come to/from CDG to Paris.

The other option I have used is the RER - although this works almost as easily, it often came down to where I was staying in Paris (right bank, left bank) whether I would take Roissybus or the train - sometimes it was just about how much luggage I had...easier to get curbside or the train? Also, sometimes it's just nicer to stay above ground but the trains always are quite fine and well though a change is required along the way to get to the required metro line close to the hotel or another RER if I was staying with friends in the banlieu.

There is also an Air France Shuttle for 17.50 Euro one way http://easycdg.com/ground-transportation/airfrance-coaches-paris-cdg-airport-charlesdegaulle/ you need not have flown on Air France to take it - I used this option only one time - it runs less frequently than the Roissybus and the stops weren't ever quite as convenient for me - I think the one time I used it I got off in Montparnasse (from my flight into Paris) but I did not use the bus for the outbound flight from CDG..it's likely I went back to my reliable Roissybus ;) Still....it's another option for CDG-Paris transit.

Taxis and shuttles from CDG into Paris tend to be very expensive (they are from most airports located about an hour from a major city center) plus Paris taxis can run toward the small side - buses are mostly the same side (and trains) almost everywhere, causing luggage concerns if one is traveling for a cruise with a few bags. There's a bit more room on the racks of the Roissybus and it's comfortable. Plus, there quite a few more Euro left from the savings on transit to do fun things in Paris...always worked for me.

Bon sejour

Granted we only used it once but the Roissy bus was quite slow the time we used it. It was 5:00 so that was probably rush hour but if I recall right it took an hour and a half. After that experience we will try the RER on our next visit.

which costs 11 Euro each way and stops at each terminal of CDG. The ride time depends upon traffic of course but averages 45 min-1 hour. The destination in Paris is listed as Opera, but the actual street is rue Scribe/rue Auber...just around the corner from the Opera - it's a fairly central location in Paris - from here you are either a very short metro or taxi ride to your hotel. I have used the Roissybus more than any other method to come to/from CDG to Paris.

The other option I have used is the RER - although this works almost as easily, it often came down to where I was staying in Paris (right bank, left bank) whether I would take Roissybus or the train - sometimes it was just about how much luggage I had...easier to get curbside or the train? Also, sometimes it's just nicer to stay above ground but the trains always are quite fine and well though a change is required along the way to get to the required metro line close to the hotel or another RER if I was staying with friends in the banlieu.

There is also an Air France Shuttle for 17.50 Euro one way http://easycdg.com/ground-transportation/airfrance-coaches-paris-cdg-airport-charlesdegaulle/ you need not have flown on Air France to take it - I used this option only one time - it runs less frequently than the Roissybus and the stops weren't ever quite as convenient for me - I think the one time I used it I got off in Montparnasse (from my flight into Paris) but I did not use the bus for the outbound flight from CDG..it's likely I went back to my reliable Roissybus ;) Still....it's another option for CDG-Paris transit.

Taxis and shuttles from CDG into Paris tend to be very expensive (they are from most airports located about an hour from a major city center) plus Paris taxis can run toward the small side - buses are mostly the same side (and trains) almost everywhere, causing luggage concerns if one is traveling for a cruise with a few bags. There's a bit more room on the racks of the Roissybus and it's comfortable. Plus, there quite a few more Euro left from the savings on transit to do fun things in Paris...always worked for me.

Bon sejour

Thank you for all the options, all the information is great.

Edited by artvlay

Bon sejour

So, if I took the RER train from CDG and I want to get to the Gare de Lyon station, do I switch to another rer train, a regular train or a bus? My hotel is a couple blocks from the Gare de Lyon station on Rue de Lyon. Do I buy another ticket for the connecting train?

So, if I took the RER train from CDG and I want to get to the Gare de Lyon station, do I switch to another rer train, a regular train or a bus? My hotel is a couple blocks from the Gare de Lyon station on Rue de Lyon. Do I buy another ticket for the connecting train?

There are multiple options to get from Gare du Nord to the Gare de Lyons. You can take RER D or the metro. RER D is best as it is direct.

Rer B ticket includes metro but in your case just transfer to Rer A at Chatelet and go 1 stop to Gare de Lyon

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by hkto

Rer B ticket includes metro but in your case just transfer to Rer A at Chatelet and go 1 stop to Gare de Lyon

This is amazing to get this great information, thank you.

So what you are saying is that I can stay underground and transfer from the RER B to the RER A? Can I also transfer to the Metro 1 train staying underground and take the train to Bastille?

I think I read somewhere that you buy your RER ticket based on your destination. What destination do you put in the machine if I am changing trains at Chatelet going on to Gare de Lyon?

Yes to both. Rer price is for zoned travel (5 to 1) and not for destination. Last time I was in Paris we got off RER and scanned the same ticket on metro.

I don't remember whether destination was asked in the vending machine. If true then pick exit RER station. It shouldn't matter as both Chatelet and Bastille in Zone 1-2 (inner city). Vending machine take chipped CC and cash otherwise there is a cashier.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

This is amazing to get this great information, thank you.

So what you are saying is that I can stay underground and transfer from the RER B to the RER A? Can I also transfer to the Metro 1 train staying underground and take the train to Bastille?

I think I read somewhere that you buy your RER ticket based on your destination. What destination do you put in the machine if I am changing trains at Chatelet going on to Gare de Lyon?

Glad the information has been helpful, these boards are wonderful but then I am biased...

If you want to switch to the Metro - might get you closer to your hotel than the RER, walking in Paris is great but not with all your luggage - you would need a different ticket for the Metro, yes.

On my very first trip to Paris, I wasn't as prepared for my journey into Paris from CDG (there were NO message boards to ask questions!) so I found out by almost getting a summons on the RER but a kindly Parisian assisted me AND gave me a free Metro ticket when I switched at Chatelet (the things one remembers, but then, I've experienced many great kindnesses in Paris) to complete my trip.

I have a feeling you will do trés bien in Paris ;) :)

Edited by Host Bonjour

"you would need a different ticket for the Metro, yes"

Not true as long you are in the same zone that ticket was bought for. I used same RER ticket bought at CDG and metro scanner took it. Also see http://europeforvisitors.com/paris/articles/paris-metro-tickets.htm "A single ticket will take you anywhere within the city of Paris on the Métro and RER networks, and you can transfer between lines--or between the Métro and the RER--on the same ticket."

Edited by hkto

Yes to both. Rer price is for zoned travel (5 to 1) and not for destination. Last time I was in Paris we got off RER and scanned the same ticket on metro.

I don't remember whether destination was asked in the vending machine. If true then pick exit RER station. It shouldn't matter as both Chatelet and Bastille in Zone 1-2 (inner city). Vending machine take chipped CC and cash otherwise there is a cashier.

Thanks again.

Is there room for luggage on the RER train as well as the Metro trains?

To avoid the long line to buy RER tickets at CDG, have euro coins or a chip/pin credit card so you can use the automated kiosks.

The last time we flew into CDG, we were a party of 6 so I booked private transfer through SayShuttle. Service was excellent and the pricing per person came to less than the RER. It was a pleasure to be greeted after baggage claim, whisked to the awaiting van and dropped directly at our Latin Quarter hotel. We departed Paris out of ORY and used SayShuttle for that transfer again with excellent results.

You will be schlepping using RER. The one time we used Roissy bus, it seemed a more convenient method, but we still had to schlep to our hotel on Hausmann from the Opera dropoff area.

To avoid the long line to buy RER tickets at CDG, have euro coins or a chip/pin credit card so you can use the automated kiosks.

The last time we flew into CDG, we were a party of 6 so I booked private transfer through SayShuttle. Service was excellent and the pricing per person came to less than the RER. It was a pleasure to be greeted after baggage claim, whisked to the awaiting van and dropped directly at our Latin Quarter hotel. We departed Paris out of ORY and used SayShuttle for that transfer again with excellent results.

You will be schlepping using RER. The one time we used Roissy bus, it seemed a more convenient method, but we still had to schlep to our hotel on Hausmann from the Opera dropoff area.

We keep debating about how to get to hotel. Being that our flight gets in at 7:50am we are afraid of wasting the morning in traffic.

Both RER and metro are regular trains without specific large luggage storage. Metro cars are smaller than in lets say ones in NYC or Toronto. No problem on empty trains but not so much on crowded ones. In your case I'd stick to RER B and A and avoid metro.

Both RER and metro are regular trains without specific large luggage storage. Metro cars are smaller than in lets say ones in NYC or Toronto. No problem on empty trains but not so much on crowded ones. In your case I'd stick to RER B and A and avoid metro.

Do you think the RER train from CDG will be crowded at 8am on a Wednesday?

I feel I should get you a crepe and bottle of wine when we are in Paris. Thank you for all your help.

Edited by artvlay

I took 8am train on Saturday and it was empty. Wednesday shouldn't be too bad. Also check in time for hotels is usually in the PM so getting into your room this early is not guaranteed. But they might hold your luggage so you can start exploring Paris.