Cruising while Vegan on Coral Princess

KZen

Overall we had a really great experience but I wanted to share some things we learned along the way in case anyone else finds themselves in the same situation.

Lead Up

I'm vegan, so I don't eat meat, eggs, fish or other dairy. As requested, we notified the cruise line of my dietary restrictions in advance. They confirmed they would have rice milk for me and that I should speak to the Maitre D' when I arrived on the ship. We tried but were instead directed to the head waiter in the dining room. Never did speak to the Maitre D', not sure if that would have had any benefit.

The Good

Traditional Dining worked extremely well for us. We'd review the next day's menu every evening to see if something could work. If not, we'd brainstorm off menu options. We ate very well. I'd recommend sticking to the same seating every night so that you can develop a relationship with your waiter and get this routine going. None of the specialty dining venues had any compelling options anyway. I had pasta, curries, Tofu, ratatouille and tons of salad and sorbet.

The Bad

Most of the staff told us we should try the veggie burger for lunch. They were clearly very proud of it. They confirmed the patty was 100% vegan. On a hunch I asked if the bun had egg. They checked and said yes, it does. I had the patty without a bun and it was delicious. But beware, egg is in many of their bread products. You have to ask them to check everything, or be willfully ignorant (which is tempting, I know).

The Frustrating

They use butter in almost all hot buffet veg options - potatoes, rice, curries, veg, etc. You have to ask for confirmation every day, as their preparation changes. So one day, mixed vegetable curry is dairy free. The next day, it has butter in it. Same with potatoes, same name but with and without dairy day to day. No consistency. So a lot of time wasted asking to speak to Sous-chefs to confirm ingredients. They need a better labeling system!

Summary

Despite the frustration with the buffet on the veggie burger, I ate extremely well. My wife, who is vegetarian also ate really well. I'd argue it was actually easier than getting by at most restaurants in major cities. As long as you're willing to ask questions, you'll get results.

So glad to hear they were so accommodating for you. While I don't have any dietary restrictions I have to say I was very impressed with how well a table mate we had one dinner was treated. The head waiter came right over and discussed the meal with her as well as reviewed the menu for the next night, they brought her tons of food and tried very hard to make sure she had an equal experience to the rest of the diners. For instance, she was unable to have the sorbet palate cleanser we were all having due to allergies, so they made her a fresh fruit and ice blend for that course.

This was at an anytime dining table/venue, so while I'm sure traditional dining makes it an even easier and smoother process, I wanted to share that so people who may not want traditional dining would know it works well with anytime as well.

Edited by Bethwte

Mrs Gut isn't a vegan, but largely follows a vegan diet.

We find Princess fantastic, better than anywhere we have ever eaten on that sort of daily basis.

Sure you need to check on things, but he same is true of any diet.

Lead Up

I'm vegan, so I don't eat meat, eggs, fish or other dairy. As requested, we notified the cruise line of my dietary restrictions in advance. They confirmed they would have rice milk for me and that I should speak to the Maitre D' when I arrived on the ship. We tried but were instead directed to the head waiter in the dining room. Never did speak to the Maitre D', not sure if that would have had any benefit.

The headwaiter assigned to our table area has always been the person to handle such requests when we have cruised with Princess.

If you do speak with the Maitre d', he will just pass the request on to your headwaiter.

The headwaiter assigned to our table area has always been the person to handle such requests when we have cruised with Princess.

If you do speak with the Maitre d', he will just pass the request on to your headwaiter.

Our last cruise, Diamond, it was the Foid and Beverage manager who was taking care of it.

Overall we had a really great experience but I wanted to share some things we learned along the way in case anyone else finds themselves in the same situation.

Lead Up

The Good

Traditional Dining worked extremely well for us. We'd review the next day's menu every evening to see if something could work. If not, we'd brainstorm off menu options. We ate very well. I'd recommend sticking to the same seating every night so that you can develop a relationship with your waiter and get this routine going. None of the specialty dining venues had any compelling options anyway. I had pasta, curries, Tofu, ratatouille and tons of salad and sorbet.

The Bad

Most of the staff told us we should try the veggie burger for lunch. They were clearly very proud of it. They confirmed the patty was 100% vegan. On a hunch I asked if the bun had egg. They checked and said yes, it does. I had the patty without a bun and it was delicious. But beware, egg is in many of their bread products. You have to ask them to check everything, or be willfully ignorant (which is tempting, I know).

The Frustrating

They use butter in almost all hot buffet veg options - potatoes, rice, curries, veg, etc. You have to ask for confirmation every day, as their preparation changes. So one day, mixed vegetable curry is dairy free. The next day, it has butter in it. Same with potatoes, same name but with and without dairy day to day. No consistency. So a lot of time wasted asking to speak to Sous-chefs to confirm ingredients. They need a better labeling system!

Summary

Despite the frustration with the buffet on the veggie burger, I ate extremely well. My wife, who is vegetarian also ate really well. I'd argue it was actually easier than getting by at most restaurants in major cities. As long as you're willing to ask questions, you'll get results.

You sound exactly like us!

My husband is a vegan and I'm a vegetarian and our experiences mostly mirror yours (except for our last cruise on the Royal which I hope was just a one-off).

i also feel it's MUCH easier to accommodate his needs on a cruise since we will be eating in the same place every night.

(BTW - same frustrating experience with the buffet and I've asked many, many times for ingredient labels on foods. SO much easier than bothering the Head Waiter.)

Thanks for the report. People will find it helpful. Princess does a good job with dietary issue, IMO. However, they do not do so well with the vegeburger. :) I know there are some who like the thing, but I find it ghastly. It's sort of like brown mashed potatoes with chunks of vegetables bound by with paste. I find no difference between the one they give you at Trident Grill and the one in the dining room. I'm not a vegetarian, but I grew up with vegetarian grandparents, and I know a good vegeburger. But, as we know, food is subjective, so I will stop my little vegeburger rant now. :D

Thank you for the heads up! That is discouraging about the buffet. I am vegan by choice and yet…also lactose intolerant. So hidden butter could ruin part of my vacation. YIKES!

I filled out my online form and have received no reply. At least I know to be vigilant - and to know that the same dish can change each day. I think I'll skate on the bread issue though. If there is egg in it, at least I won't get sick. And doesn't it get so exhausting to have to fret about everything we eat? lol Ah, if only we were all vegan. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Summary

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I am a vegetarian, with a leaning toward veganism. We're sailing to Alaska on the Coral in 2017 (so excited!!), and your review was informative and helpful to know what I could expect (I have already received an email from the dietary coordinator as well).

I'm back and thought I'd share my experience with eating vegan on the Grand. I received a note in my cabin to check in with the maitre' d in the MDR about my dietary needs. I did so, and that first night we enjoyed a nice dinner.

He then brought out the next night's menu and I didn't see anything I could eat, so we decided to go elsewhere. We ended up not ever going to back to the MDR.

Overall, I'd say you have to be very, very vigilant if you truly want to eat 100% vegan. It's a challenge but not impossible. However, by the end of the cruise I was tired of dealing with it and just doled up rice and veggies on my plate in the buffet without asking about them. lol

I tried Congee for the first time and loved it - ate it every morning for breakfast. It's a Chinese dish made from rice, sort of like oatmeal but much better.

At Alfredo's they'll make you a veggie pizza without cheese. At the Crown I had mushrooms, baked potato and salad.

Sabatini's was my favorite - they really went out of their way to offer me several options. (We did make reservations at all the restaurants and notified them that I am vegan)

If you get premium coffee, soy milk is an option at the International Cafe'.

There really is no dessert for you but they will happily prepare a dish of berries. I believe that there is sorbet at places too, though that never seemed to be an option where we went.

As mentioned by the OP, you must ask at the buffet. What looks like innocent steamed rice could have been made with chicken stock. Steamed veggies might be swimming in butter.

Room service has one option for you, which I enjoyed a few times late at night - a veggie sandwich with cucumbers, avocado, tomato and onion. And fries!

Hope that helps my fellow vegans! If you are vegetarian, it will be pretty easy for you - plenty of vegetarian options abound.

P.S. I had the veggie burger at the pool twice and really liked it. They actually take great care to cook it on a different grill from the hamburgers. Was there egg in it? Honestly, I didn't ask. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. :D

P.S. I had the veggie burger at the pool twice and really liked it. They actually take great care to cook it on a different grill from the hamburgers. Was there egg in it? Honestly, I didn't ask. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. :D

Thank you for sharing your experience. You have a wonderful outlook on situations - "what you don't know won't hurt".