Laundry on the Volendam in July

vanrhyn

Last I knew (a year ago), the Volendam did still have a self-service laundry aboard. There are washers & dryers, as well as iron & ironing board.

The cost is $2.00 to wash and $1.00 to dry (or reverse; I can never remember). You can get the quarters at the Front Desk.

Detergent is supplied, but bring your own dryer sheets.

The laundryroom(s) are still on the deckplans. If like the Zaandam, which I would assume it is, the soap is dispensed by ONE turn of a knob. These are front-loaders so don't give it two turns (oversudsing is a problem with those machines which is why they provide the 'special' soap). $2 to wash. There are clotheslines in the shower in your room, but since it is a short shower, you'll want to machine-dry what you can, for $1.

If the ship goes code orange for infectious disease/noro -- the laundry rooms will be closed for use. Just something to keep in mind. In 2009 we spent an afternoon doing laundry at a campground in Seward because of that; it was the only coin-op in all of Seward!

If the facilities are not there or closed for what ever reason, what are our options to have some laundry done?

Rod

You can send laundry out by the bag, as many and as often as you like.

You can choose to pay by the piece (very expensive), $20 for as much as you can stuff in the bag (lots! slightly more costly on some itineraries), or purchase an "unlimited" package at the rate of $7 times the number of days in the cruise (slightly higher on some itineraries).

Laundry comes back, clean, folded or on hangers, frequently by the next day (give it two days to be sure).

Edited by RuthC

Ruth,

Does the Volendam also have dry-cleaning available? I have things that cannot stand the hot wash/hot dry I have heard prevails in the cruise laundry rooms. In fact, I have nothing that gets that treatment at home.

On our 26-day cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam (no self-laundry), I did everything by hand. Only later I thought -- the dry-cleaning wasn't that much more than it is on land (in So.California anyway). I don't mind sudsing out some smalls, but those trousers! Very hard to wring out (enough to make you feel like a scullery maid!) and take so long to dry...

I believe that HAL has taken off the self serve laundries on all the "R" class ships. The Volendam is an "R" Class ship.

I just got off the Volendam last week and I'm 100% sure the self service laundromat on deck 3 was operational. I didn't actually use it; however, I did see others use it. I do believe that there were a couple more on other decks too.

Ruth,

Does the Volendam also have dry-cleaning available? I have things that cannot stand the hot wash/hot dry I have heard prevails in the cruise laundry rooms. In fact, I have nothing that gets that treatment at home.

All the ships have dry cleaning available (assuming the machine hasn't broken. I saw one report of that, once). I've never used it, as I believe if something needs to be dry cleaned, it doesn't need to be purchased.

But you can control the temperature of the wash water in the self-service washers; can't remember about the dryers.

At the very least, you could wash in the machines, then hang the clothes to dry. You could touch-up iron (iron? :eek: I don't buy clothes that need ironing, either) whatever needs it.

Still sounds better than hand-washing trousers.