Question on Fjords

papaflamingo

We are currently booked in 2017 on 7 Day Norse Legends cruise with the following itinerary:

Eidfjord, Norway

Scenic cruising Hardangerfjord CO

Alesund, Norway

Geiranger, Norway

Cruising Geirangerfjord CO

Bergen, Norway

Our other choice is the Seven Day Viking Saga cruise with the following itinerary:

Oslo, Norway 08:00 AM 06:00 PM

Scenic cruising Oslo Fjord CO

Kristiansand, Norway 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Stavanger, Norway 07:00 AM 05:00 PM

Flam, Norway 08:00 AM 06:00 PM

Scenic cruising Sognefjord CO

I am torn between the two. We can only do one so I am looking for opinions as to which cruise to choose. I am leaning toward the Norse Legends as I have heard that Geiranger is not to be missed. So, any opinions would be more than welcome.

Thanks.

Flip a coin. Whichever one you take this time, take the other one next time. Each of these cruises has its charms.

Both Geirangerfjord and Sognefjord are beautiful to sail; just be sure to be up early enough to enjoy either from the beginning. Be out again for the sail out, as the weather may have changed, and the atmosphere is totally different.

Hardangerfjord is a gorgeous ride, too.

I love Alesund, and find lots to do there. It is small enough to be able to get around, but large enough to have a lot to offer. I could say the same about Stavanger, although the two places are quite different.

Perhaps you should choose by date, cabin selection, price---something other than itinerary.

Whichever you choose, you can't lose on this one.

Flip a coin. Whichever one you take this time, take the other one next time. Each of these cruises has its charms.

Both Geirangerfjord and Sognefjord are beautiful to sail; just be sure to be up early enough to enjoy either from the beginning. Be out again for the sail out, as the weather may have changed, and the atmosphere is totally different.

Hardangerfjord is a gorgeous ride, too.

I love Alesund, and find lots to do there. It is small enough to be able to get around, but large enough to have a lot to offer. I could say the same about Stavanger, although the two places are quite different.

Perhaps you should choose by date, cabin selection, price---something other than itinerary.

Whichever you choose, you can't lose on this one.

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

We were in Geiranger last summer (VoV).

The fjord is stunning. We took the bus tour of the two peaks. We also had a private tour of the Trollststigen road which was wonderful.

Alesund was very interesting especially the overlook and the wonderful aquarium. We used the HOHO.

Bergen has become one of our favorite cities. A fabulous market (fish). It is very walkable from the cruise dock.

We took the HOHO but it's really unnecessary.

We were in Geiranger last summer (VoV).

The fjord is stunning. We took the bus tour of the two peaks. We also had a private tour of the Trollststigen road which was wonderful.

Alesund was very interesting especially the overlook and the wonderful aquarium. We used the HOHO.

Bergen has become one of our favorite cities. A fabulous market (fish). It is very walkable from the cruise dock.

We took the HOHO but it's really unnecessary.

Thanks. Leaning toward the Nordic Legends cruise.

Another vote for the Norse Legends cruise from me! I've been to all of the ports on both of these itineraries and they are all really nice, but I would go for the Norse Legends cruise.

Geiranger is my favourite place in Norway and the sail in/sail out along the Geirangerfjord is fabulous - not to be missed. I've been in Geiranger twice and I want to go back again!!!!:D

Another vote for the Norse Legends cruise from me! I've been to all of the ports on both of these itineraries and they are all really nice, but I would go for the Norse Legends cruise.

Geiranger is my favourite place in Norway and the sail in/sail out along the Geirangerfjord is fabulous - not to be missed. I've been in Geiranger twice and I want to go back again!!!!:D

Thanks for the info. Sure helps in making my decision.

• 1 month later...

I'm new to HAL and new to cruising! But not to Norway. I loved the fjords so much on my first visit that I promised myself I'd be back and do it the proper way, via the water. So -- I'm on the Norse Legends cruise on Koningsdam July 10 and would recommend this itinerary over your other option. Oslo is nice enough, but the Oslo fjord is laughingly referred to (among my friends) as a "fake fjord" :)

Flam felt very touristy to me, with a giant "gift shop" and little else near the pier. The highlight is the famous Flam railway which gives you hairbend turns and sharp inclines -- and stunning (terrifying? :D) views, but I did that coming downwards and I think it's even better that way. It can also be sold out, so unless you've booked tickets ahead you may be out of luck.

The other reviewers are right that you really can't lose, but these two factors made the choice easy for me, at least.

We are currently booked in 2017 on 7 Day Norse Legends cruise with the following itinerary:

Eidfjord, Norway

Scenic cruising Hardangerfjord CO

Alesund, Norway

Geiranger, Norway

Cruising Geirangerfjord CO

Bergen, Norway

Our other choice is the Seven Day Viking Saga cruise with the following itinerary:

Oslo, Norway 08:00 AM 06:00 PM

Scenic cruising Oslo Fjord CO

Kristiansand, Norway 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Stavanger, Norway 07:00 AM 05:00 PM

Flam, Norway 08:00 AM 06:00 PM

Scenic cruising Sognefjord CO

I am torn between the two. We can only do one so I am looking for opinions as to which cruise to choose. I am leaning toward the Norse Legends as I have heard that Geiranger is not to be missed. So, any opinions would be more than welcome.

Thanks.

I see that I posted April 9 before we left for this Norse Legends Cruise. I will offer some thoughts on Norse Legends: We had near perfect weather, even in Bergen! We cruised May 7-14th.

In Eidfjord our excursion was cancelled, and we just walked around on our own....it was a small beautiful port. Alesund has a lot to offer close by without taking excursions, though I did a walking tour. Our time in Geiranger looked just like the brochure photos....stunning scenery. We went to a Herdal Mountain Goat Farm, and the scenery along the way was breathtaking! We had a delightful (but expensive) lunch outside at a restaurant on the fjord...Geiranger has a brewery and the local brew was very good! Bergen was very walkable. All the ports had Hop On/Hop Off tour buses, and I would recommend Norse Legends for beautiful scenery.

Karen

This isn't easy. Geiranger is beauty beyond words, that's for sure. But Stavanger is very nice, and the train ride in Flam will take you through some of the most stunning scenery you've ever encountered.

I'd vote with RuthC and do one now and save your schekels to do the other one at a later date. If you could swing the North Cape cruise, that catches Geiranger, Flam, and Stavanger. Also goes to the far north of Norway, above the Arctic Circle, which is an experience in itself.

Good luck!