It's me again, Margaret. 🤔

Toliverair

Hi guys! After my last post, I thought I would never have to bug you folks again about birth certificate issues. Well, guess what? I was wrong. Me and my husband are scheduled on the Escape 4/16. We also have an Alaska cruise scheduled for 5/29. We are leaving from Seattle, but we are spending a few days in Canada before our cruise, so we had to send off for our passports. I had no idea they would make us send our original birth certificates with the passport application. They did. We are left with copies to try to board the Escape on 4/16 in Miami. Will they let us on board???

Has anyone (US Citizen) had any luck boarding in Miami with a copy of your birth certificate on a closed loop cruise?

We were able to board in NYC on the Quantum of the Seas in February 2015 with a copy. I feel NCL wants to be extremely difficult. It says plainly on the us government website that an original or copy will suffice, but when I call NCL they adamantly tell me I MUST have an original! Uhgggg...someone please help! [emoji30][emoji24][emoji30][emoji24][emoji30]

Edited by Toliverair

We are left with copies to try to board the Escape on 4/16 in Miami. Will they let us on board???

We were able to board in NYC on the Quantum of the Seas in February 2015 with a copy. I feel NCL wants to be extremely difficult. It says plainly on the us government website that an original or copy will suffice, but when I call NCL they adamantly tell me I MUST have an original! Uhgggg...someone please help! [emoji30][emoji24][emoji30][emoji24][emoji30]

It says plainly on the NCL website that you must have the original document:

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For closed-loop sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you may sail with a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver’s license with a photo), or any other valid WHTI compliant document.

Proof of Citizenship examples include:

State certified U.S. birth certificate

Original certificate of U.S. naturalization

Original certificate of U.S. citizenship

U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad

WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative)-compliant documents include:

U.S. Passport Card

U.S./Canadian Enhanced Driver’s License

U.S. Passport

NEXUS/SENTRI card

A copy as in a certified copy?

Or a copy as in you ran off a copy of the one you sent in?

If it's the latter -- which I'm guessing it is -- I would be thinking about how to obtain a new certified copy. I don't think you're going to be boarding the ship with a plain copy.

Edited by triptolemus

A copy as in a certified copy?

Or a copy as in you ran off a copy of the one you sent in?

If it's the latter -- which I'm guessing it is -- I would be thinking about how to obtain a new certified copy. I don't think you're going to be boarding the ship with a plain copy.

We have been on many of these cruises and only need passports. We have never been asked for a birth certificate.

I read what the NCL website had to say as you stated above. Since it doesn't state original before the State certified U.S. birth certificate like it does before the two listed after it, I thought maybe they would accept a copy.

This is what it states on the us government website:

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID.

I really just want to know if anyone has had success using a "copy" instead of the original with the raised seal to board a closed loop cruise from Miami on NCL.

Even in the very unlikely event someone did have success using an unofficial copy, that doesn't mean you would be successful. It is not an acceptable document, end of story.

You need to get the official certified copy.

Edited by triptolemus

Can you get another official stamped copy from the county of birth? I got my copy with the seal/stamp years ago from Los Angeles...getting it for my sister took 3 weeks with rush service from Vitalchek. She had no problems boarding the NCL Jewel in Los Angeles last December with her certified government issued copy of birth certificate and her driver's license :)

Definitely contact vital statistics for a certified copy (I believe that is what the govt website means by "copy"). If you live near where you were born you can go to the town hall dept of vital records and get a certified copy while you wait. My son just did this a few weeks ago... he went to town hall, paid the fee and he walked out with his certified copy.

If that is not possible - maybe contact the passport office to find out if it's possible to pay the extremely high fee for rush service?

This is what U.S. Customs and Border Protection says:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID.

A copy of the birth certificate is acceptable (since the original one would be at the Vital Records office) but whether the copy needs to come from an official source or if a photocopy is acceptable seems open to interpretation. Keep in mind the port employees who check you in and check your documents are not NCL employees. They are simply working on behalf of NCL that day. So what NCL says does not really matter, it is what the port authority/CBP says that matters. Hopefully your passports arrive before you leave for the first cruise and it won't matter at all, you can use the passports!

Edited by Mistizoom

Thanks so much for your feedback. We can get my husband's birth certificate without a problem. However, I am leaving for Florida tomorrow and my birth certificate is in Hobbs, NM. Fortunately my mom lives there, so hopefully she will be able to pick it up and overnight it to me.

I'm so ready to have my passport so I don't have to deal with these issues any longer. This will be the last cruise without it. Yay!!!

How long ago did you send out for the passport? They are moving pretty quick these days. I renewed mine and got it back within 10 days. My friend applied for hers (first time) and had hers within 3 weeks.

It says plainly on the NCL website that you must have the original document:

Proof of Citizenship examples include:

***State certified U.S. birth certificate***

A copy as in the postal employee ran off a copy before she sent it in with the passport application.

There should be a Notary at the Post Office you used for your Passport. The Notary Seal will most likely be State issued, thus "State Certified"

Before you rely on that, call NCL or better yet CBP (Customs and Border Protection) and ask if a certified "true" copy with Seal is acceptable, or meets the State certified criteria.

If you get a negative response from the first person you talk to. Ask for a Supervisor to confirm.

If you get a positive answer. Take down the date, time, and name of the person that approved it. Then request the approval in writing. E-mail will be fine. As many here know, One hand doesn't talk to the other at NCL, and they will deny rather than research the proper course of action.

Mark

Djny1077, it will be two weeks this coming Monday when we sent off for them. That would be awesome if we get them back next week. I can't plan on that, though so I'll go ahead and try my best to acquire a state certified copy.

WYtinman, that is a terrific idea. I wish I would have thought of that while we were processing our applications.

Djny1077, it will be two weeks this coming Monday when we sent off for them. That would be awesome if we get them back next week. I can't plan on that, though so I'll go ahead and try my best to acquire a state certified copy.

You can check the status if you click HERE and click on "Check Application Status" if you know the DOB and a few other details.

I believe that anyone who thinks the following passage:

"U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID."

is up to interpretation, is either not reading it, or is choosing to "interpret" it in their favor. It very clearly states that the original OR the copy must be issued by the Vital Records Department.

If my memory serves, this passage used to state that the copy must bear the raised seal of the Vital Records Department. Now that most certified copies are digitally printed, they don't have the raised seal. So they took that part out.

I am sure that if you search long and far enough, you will find people who have successfully talked their way onto a ship with a photocopy. Just as if you search, you will find people who have talked their way onto airplanes without an ID. These people got lucky. Plain and simple.

You need to do one of three things:

A. Send a family member (like your mom!) to the Vital Statistics office to obtain a certified copy that can be overnighted to you.

B. Call Vital Statistics in your birth state/county and see if they will accept an online request for your certified copy of your birth certificate, or faxed copies of your ID, and overnight the certified copy directly to you.

C. Call the passport processing center and see if you can upgrade to expedited processing. http://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/can-i-expedite-a-passport-application-after-submitting-a-standard-renewal-application.html

^^^^

Not on NCL but on another line departing a closed loop cruise from Florida, my friend who I was cruising with forgot her passport at home. She had her husband scan & email her original birth certificate the night before we sailed. Our hotel was nice enough to print it for her. She was able to sail with a printed emailed COPY of her birth certificate. We didn't talk anyone into anything. She presented it, a supervisor looked at it, and off we went. These aren't rules set forth by the cruise lines. It's not advisable in case of emergency but you can sail with a photocopy. I never would've believed it had I not seen it happen with my own eyes.

Edited by sweetpee_1993

I believe that anyone who thinks the following passage:

"U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID."

Please. There is no need to question my reading comprehension. The parenthetical statement "(issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born)" refers to the birth certificate itself, which means you need a state-issued birth certificate as opposed to a hospital-issued birth certificate. The parenthetical statement is not immediately after the word "copy" which would imply the copy itself needs to come from the state. There are many examples on this board including in this thread where the port authority and/or CBP allow U.S. citizens to board closed-loop cruises departing from a U.S. port with a photocopy or faxed copy of a state-issued birth certificate plus other state-issued ID such as a driver's license. I personally don't have to worry about it, as my U.S. passport is good for 8 more years.

Edited by Mistizoom

WYtinman, that is a terrific idea. I wish I would have thought of that while we were processing our applications.

you can get your birth certificate from http://www.vitalcheck.com very easily and not very expensive.

I got an extra copy before I sent my passport off to be processed.

Bill

I believe Sparks has boarded with a copy like you propose.

He'll probably be along soon to let you know.

Bill

Thanks, Bill, for pointing me to the thread. I had read the subject line and skipped over it.:o

OP, as stated I used a copy of my birth certificate to board my CCL cruise and you are correct, the regulations do specify original or copy. Since NCL does word their FAQ a little differently than CCL does it might be best to try to obtain another original from the state but barring that what options do you really have? It's better to show up with a copy than with nothing. I have read of several passengers being allowed to board NCL with a faxed copy of their birth certificate (either had lost their passport enroute to the port or forgotten everything at home). Good luck and hopefully once you get your passport all of your problems regarding documentation will cease (well, until you schedule a cruise with 3 months left on your passport;)).