Does the adult booked in a room actually have to board the ship?

camprunner

I booked a cruise with Early saver with myself in one room with 2 kids and my husband and 2 kids. We are suddenly separated and while I still think the cruise is a good idea, he's not so sure. The kids are looking forward to it. They are 13, 10, 5, and 3. Is there any way to keep the room I booked for him and have the oldest ones stay in it or would he actually have to board? The rooms are oceanview and are next to each other but not adjoined. Thanks.

Guests under the age of 13

• Minors can be booked in separate staterooms, only if booked next door or directly across the hall from the Parents/Grandparents stateroom.

Note: Minors 13 and under may only be booked in a balcony stateroom with the Parents/Grandparents"; this also applies to connecting staterooms.

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

• Minors can be booked in separate staterooms, by up to 3 staterooms in between the minor stateroom and the Parents/Grandparents stateroom.

Note: Minors age 13 may only be booked in a balcony stateroom with the Parents/Grandparents; this also applies to connecting staterooms.

Even though the logistics of your husband not going appear to not pose a problem, and you yourself do feel it’s still a good idea for him to go, I can’t help but urge you to continue to nudge your husband into going. I say this also because he is “just not sure”..., not totally against it. Just from that family standpoint and your kids being so young, I’m compelled to just offer that little bit of advice. Sometimes getting away from all that crazy real life stuff on a vacation can help us get back to what matters most and allow us to see our priorities again... But even besides the personal relationship between you and your husband and however that ends up, he’s still the dad... and this would be the first opportunity to show the kids that he is still there for them if nothing else. Best wishes to you however it works out...

Even though the logistics of your husband not going appear to not pose a problem, and you yourself do feel it’s still a good idea for him to go, I can’t help but urge you to continue to nudge your husband into going. I say this also because he is “just not sure”..., not totally against it. Just from that family standpoint and your kids being so young, I’m compelled to just offer that little bit of advice. Sometimes getting away from all that crazy real life stuff on a vacation can help us get back to what matters most and allow us to see our priorities again... But even besides the personal relationship between you and your husband and however that ends up, he’s still the dad... and this would be the first opportunity to show the kids that he is still there for them if nothing else. Best wishes to you however it works out...

Excellent points.

I agree with all of this. The only thing I would say is that if whatever tension exists at home would spill over into the holiday, then better off enjoying a vacation without that.

Best wishes both short term with the vacation and longer term with the bigger picture.

I don't believe the issue is the husband going...sounds like he's not sure if it's a good idea for the wife to go alone with the kids......

My mom has considered booking the same cruise to help out so there's potential for another adult. I'm not sure anything will fix the problems but bring in separate rooms and it being a big ship makes me think that save the port days of staying together with the kids, we'd be fine.

I know this is a sensitive time and I mean this light heartedly I really do! But maybe having along his mother-in-law isn't the best solution?! No matter what from here on out you will always have to work out continuing to parent the kids together... they are the priority and because their world is about to be forever changed, this a great way with no distractions to show them that the two of you can still be mommy and daddy together even if you aren't husband and wife... I think you know this already, which is why my advice was to urge him to see that. It's gonna be hard, but at the end of the day he's got to remember to prioritize the kids. (hug)

I know this is a sensitive time and I mean this light heartedly I really do! But maybe having along his mother-in-law isn't the best solution?! No matter what from here on out you will always have to work out continuing to parent the kids together... they are the priority and because their world is about to be forever changed, this a great way with no distractions to show them that the two of you can still be mommy and daddy together even if you aren't husband and wife... I think you know this already, which is why my advice was to urge him to see that. It's gonna be hard, but at the end of the day he's got to remember to prioritize the kids. (hug)

She would only book if it looks like he'll back out. I agree that this is a good time to work together but ultimately I have no control over his choices so I'm trying to find the best ways to work around them.

She would only book if it looks like he'll back out. I agree that this is a good time to work together but ultimately I have no control over his choices so I'm trying to find the best ways to work around them.

Best of luck and good thoughts...you seem cool and collected...I wish you a good cruise and things getting better however it works out very soon.:(:)

My mom has considered booking the same cruise to help out so there's potential for another adult. I'm not sure anything will fix the problems but bring in separate rooms and it being a big ship makes me think that save the port days of staying together with the kids, we'd be fine.

If your spouse doesn't go, pax can be switched for $50. There are different rules for Early Saver.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just remember if you go without him you should have a signed document by him stating it's OK for the kids to travel. You may not be asked for it but better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

She will need no such letter.

I so wish this thinking would die out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk[/quote

Maybe you believe this is true on Carnival but I had to produce a letter on both Royal and Disney. On Royal my daughter was actually booked in another cabin with the oldest granddaughter and we had the youngest booked in our cabin. Even though my daughter (her mother) was in line behind me I still had to produce the letter showing that both my daughter and son-in-law (who did not travel with us) gave us permission to have the little one on the cruise and in our cabin.

On Disney this week we had to show the letter when we checked in as well as produce it for Customs when we debarked.

So......for me personally I would never travel without "the permission letter" if both parents are not present!!

Edited by GTO-Girl

so she gets there and someone actually follows the rules and NO ONE goes on this cruise because "this thinking" died out....

we were asked for the notarized letter, we had it, we all went on the cruise...please ignore people who think the rules don't apply to them....better safe than sorry....have your letters, enjoy your cruise

so she gets there and someone actually follows the rules and NO ONE goes on this cruise because "this thinking" died out....

we were asked for the notarized letter, we had it, we all went on the cruise...please ignore people who think the rules don't apply to them....better safe than sorry....have your letters, enjoy your cruise

What rules? no such letter is required on carnival.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk[/quote

Maybe you believe this is true on Carnival but I had to produce a letter on both Royal and Disney. On Royal my daughter was actually booked in another cabin with the oldest granddaughter and we had the youngest booked in our cabin. Even though my daughter (her mother) was in line behind me I still had to produce the letter showing that both my daughter and son-in-law (who did not travel with us) gave us permission to have the little one on the cruise and in our cabin.

On Disney this week we had to show the letter when we checked in as well as produce it for Customs when we debarked.

So......for me personally I would never travel without "the permission letter" if both parents are not present!!

They are not going in royal or Disney.

And each cruise line can have any requirements they want.

Carnival does not require the letter.

Carnival may not, but Customs may.

The U.S. has no requirement of a letter.

They may ask for it, but what are they going to do? You have already been on the cruise and you are coming back.

Customs is not always right. One in Galveston was issuing warning for anyone without a passport a few years back.

I can't be bothered to look for it, but if you search here for passport warning Galveston, you should find it. There is even a scan of what he was handing out with basically said, you are being let back into the country this time, but don't try it again.

At the absolute very most that is going to happen is they will ask the child a few questions. Big deal.

You know, the op can probably easily get this not needed letter, but a single mother, that has not seen the birth father of her child may be reading this. I do not know why you would want to scare them about what might happen if they do not have the not needed letter.

Why would you want to scare someone into possibly added expense?

Even on the border control website the letter is only suggested.

If it was required, it would be required.

And you know when I think about it, the whole letter thing is stupid to begin with. Let's say I am going to use a cruise to take my children to Mexico with no intentions of coming back. I get a letter from my husband, ex, whoever. What in the world has that done. Yeah, he knew we were going, he just has no idea where we are.

The whole reason Mexico required a letter in the first place is so many children were being taken to Mexico and the parent in the us, could not get them back and they were applying pressure on congress. So to keep U.S. Funding, they were forced to come up with something and that was the best they could do.

My bf ex wife is down there with his children. Has not seen them in 12 years. He never gave her a letter and despite calling border patrol when he knew they were missing, she took them to Mexico anyway. Never stopped her. No idea where they are. Just hoping they contact him one day.

Wrong, if only one parent is traveling out of the country, they must have a document signed and notarized from the other parent. Trust me, this is required. BTDT. So glad my boys are over 16 now and its not required anymore.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk