Texting on the Ruby

Sonatina1990

Going to Alaska this summer on the Ruby, super excited! I saw on the princess website that all ships will have the capability for texting while at sea. (Except I think the Crown, I could be wrong)

Had anyone been on the Ruby recently and used it or noticed anyone using it? Would be super handy to keep in touch with family.

I have not used it.

The biggest complaint I have heard is that there is not notification when a message is received. Therefore, you have to keep checking in case one has arrived.

The sender and recipient must both be on the ship and have the app loaded. Also, the sender would need the ID for the recipient.

Others have informed you regarding the Princess@Sea App. While in port in Alaska you can, of course, text using your normal cell service as you will be connected to land based towers. At sea you will be charged for satellite use. There are ways to minimize the charges, but charges will still be there, and it will be very costly to walk around all day connected to social media sites.

I would contact your wireless carrier to ask about texting charges. If your ship stops at a port in Canada be careful about data and roaming charges. I always put my phone on airplane mode when we leave the country and have never had a problem

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I'm talking about the Princess@Sea. I understand the charges at sea and land use but was really looking to see if the Princess@Sea worked now. Last year on our cruise it did not work. So I'm glad to hear it does work. Thank you

I have not used it.

The biggest complaint I have heard is that there is not notification when a message is received. Therefore, you have to keep checking in case one has arrived.

The sender and recipient must both be on the ship and have the app loaded. Also, the sender would need the ID for the recipient.

At least the should have allowed a beep or two to let you know. Unless I was really in need to keep in touch it's not worth the trouble to me to carry a phone around all day long.

I've never understood why they don't provide internet connection at Princess Cays. It seem that it would be a big money maker since people are sitting around for hours relaxing in a chair. Now that would be great to connect back to the ship for messages as well.

I've never understood why they don't provide internet connection at Princess Cays. It seem that it would be a big money maker since people are sitting around for hours relaxing in a chair. Now that would be great to connect back to the ship for messages as well.

They sell a daily pass at roatan, which is a similar CCL compound.

They sell a daily pass at roatan, which is a similar CCL compound.

I was thinking about them providing a connection to their internet at Princess Cays which could tie into the ships computer network. This could provide both the intranet & a faster internet which could be utilized at the beach.

People could text back to the ship as well as use their minutes.

At least the should have allowed a beep or two to let you know.

I, for one, am grateful that I do not have to hear beeps going off all day and evening long, everywhere from the dining room to a lecture to a show in the Princess Theater.

I, for one, am grateful that I do not have to hear beeps going off all day and evening long, everywhere from the dining room to a lecture to a show in the Princess Theater.

When I was on Regal, there were a lot of kids in general,

and a lot of people texting.

One night at dinner at Sabatini's, there was a family

of 4; they were all texting. (I wondered if they

were texting each other -- what looks good to you?)

Didn't hear anything from people's phones.

It's certainly much better than people screaming into

walkie-talkies.

The only time I have hear rings and notifications has been

on embarcation day in Ft. Lauderdale, when most people

still have cell service.

Edited by pablo222

At least the should have allowed a beep or two to let you know. Unless I was really in need to keep in touch it's not worth the trouble to me to carry a phone around all day long.

I am glad there is no beep. I don't want to be bothered by phones beeping. Now if they can make so there is just a vibration when a message comes, that would be fine.