Port Everglades, rental car or cab

NECruiser83

We are cruising out of Port Everglades and going down 2 days prior. We are flying into FLL and staying at the Bahia Mar on Fort Lauderdale beach. We plan on doing a beach day the day before. Is it worth renting a car for the 2 days? How much do taxis run for a trip from airport to Fort Lauderdale beach and then from hotel to port? Do any of the car rentals off shuttle service to the airport when you return from the cruise? That may be the decision maker on if it is worth it or not. TIA!!!

It would no doubt be easier and cheaper to take a cab since you will be at a hotel that is on the beach. There are a variety of restaurants within walking distance. A cab ride from the airport to the hotel should be around $20-25 unless the bridge is up on 17th Street. A trip from the hotel to the port would be around $15 and a trip from the port to the airport might run you $15. Of course there is the issue of tipping.

We frequently cruise out of Ft Lauderdale and always pick up a rental car when we arrive at FLL. Having the option of driving to & from wherever/whenever, or doing a tourist take-in in the area makes renting the best option for us. On some trips, we may meet with friends or family at an area restaurant, too. Of course, having a car gives us the opportunity to stop at Total Wine for the cruise bottles of wine or for a quick trip into Publix or CVS for anything we forgot to pack.

On the morning of our cruise, we return the car to the airport and hop the comp. shuttle bus to the ship. We rent from Enterprise, which owns Alamo and National - these three provide the transfer to the ship - luggage and all. You have to show your rental agreement to board the shuttle.

Cabs are generally reasonable if that works better for you.

Darcy

Unless you are planning on leaving the area, there is no need for a car. You will end up paying for car/parking/gas, and picking up and dropping off the car takes time away from your relaxing vacation.

You can use:

taxis

Uber

Suntrolley

bus

water taxi

On our first couple of trips to Fort Lauderdale we would rent a car. Now we have stopped doing it.

My take is similar to royalcruz.

If you really have no plans to venture far from the area I wouldn't rent the car. To me not worth the extra costs nor the hassle of picking it up or dropping it off.

If you were say going to drive to another area then you might want a rental car but that doesn't appear to be the case based on what you have posted.

The prices that tip provided for taxis sound about right. Traffic/Time of day always can impact the actual price.

Keith

We frequently cruise out of Ft Lauderdale and always pick up a rental car when we arrive at FLL. Having the option of driving to & from wherever/whenever, or doing a tourist take-in in the area makes renting the best option for us. On some trips, we may meet with friends or family at an area restaurant, too. Of course, having a car gives us the opportunity to stop at Total Wine for the cruise bottles of wine or for a quick trip into Publix or CVS for anything we forgot to pack.

On the morning of our cruise, we return the car to the airport and hop the comp. shuttle bus to the ship. We rent from Enterprise, which owns Alamo and National - these three provide the transfer to the ship - luggage and all. You have to show your rental agreement to board the shuttle.

Darcy

This is what we do too, including the trip to Total Wine. We also like restaurants that are beyond walking distance, so find the rental car more convenient. We rent from Avis, who has an office in the Hyatt Pier 66 and offers a free shuttle to the cruise terminals.

Darcy

Is this the best plan to return the rental car to the airport and take the rental car shuttle from the airport to the pier? Are they any rental car companies that have drop-off at the pier? I realize that there could be a surcharge for rental pick-up at the airport and drop-off at the pier. We like to drop our luggage at the pier and then drop off the car, but not sure of the logistics at Port Everglades.

Is this the best plan to return the rental car to the airport and take the rental car shuttle from the airport to the pier? Are they any rental car companies that have drop-off at the pier? I realize that there could be a surcharge for rental pick-up at the airport and drop-off at the pier. We like to drop our luggage at the pier and then drop off the car, but not sure of the logistics at Port Everglades.

There are several rental car agencies very close to the port:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48314296&postcount=3

Tough call with dropping off luggage. There have been times when the traffic entering the port area was so slow, the stress level got the best of us thinking we HAD to get the rental car back to the airport on time. Another time we drove in, dropped off the two large pieces, and then returned to the airport, dropped off the car, got on the shuttle without any issues.

Ultimately , we find that renting at the airport works best for us both in terms of rental rates and time. Pick up and return to the same location will be le$$. Once we have our luggage, we head to the rental car shuttle stop, take the short drive to the outer edge of the airport, stop at the Enterprise rental desk, show our paperwork, then head to the garage where we select the vehicle - staff loads the luggage and off we go to A1A, short cut to Harbor Shops off 17th, then onto our hotel - Hyatt Pier 66.

On the morning of the cruise, we have found it easier to drive to the airport rental return garage, drop the car and take our own luggage to the shuttle. Excellent signs as you enter the airport, so return is easy.

Only you can make the final decision; look at the time involved, added cab costs, rental fees, and then decide.

Darcy

Darcy - Thanks so much for sorting this for me!

Do you know if there are drop off places available near the port for rental cars?

How long does the shuttle from the rental car place at the airport to the pier take? Would I have to reserve that in advance? Is there a charge for this shuttle service?

There are several rental car agencies very close to the port:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48314296&postcount=3

Thanks, Bob, now I can do my research! We usually travel with a group so all of this "stuff" is handled for us. We just have to show up and enjoy the ride!

This time we are going on a family cruise and I have to do all the booking!

Darcy - Thanks so much for sorting this for me!

Do you know if there are drop off places available near the port for rental cars?

How long does the shuttle from the rental car place at the airport to the pier take? Would I have to reserve that in advance? Is there a charge for this shuttle service?

I'm sure there are places at the port to drop a car - you need to call the rental places first - then find out what the added cost will be. PE is huge - industrial, and has multiple entry and exit points, all subject to security. The shuttle is a bus, runs every 15-20 minutes, and is free to those who rent from Alamo, National and Enterprise. No need to reserve the shuttle, it's a colorful bus that runs to and from the airport and PE. The rental return crew will direct you to the elevators in the garage and how to exit to the shuttle stop. We tip the shuttle driver who is always helpful with loading and unloading our luggage. The shuttle drops you at the ship's luggage/passenger drop location. The airport is so close to the port area. With no traffic, 10 minutes FLL to the ship. Though that depends on which pier your ship is leaving from. The shuttle driver asks passengers which ship and plans his route accordingly. Remember, if you drop a car at the port, then you'll need to plan how to get to the ship.

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill

Just remember that when you do the math to determine the cost of the car rental that you include the parking fees accessed at many hotels and just about all of them along the beach. For example, the Bahia Mar charges $25 per night for self parking and $30 per night for valet parking.

Edited by capriccio

Just remember that when you do the math to determine the cost of the car rental that you include the parking fees accessed at many hotels and just about all of them along the beach. For example, the Bahia Mar charges $25 per night for self parking and $30 per night for valet parking.

Good to know!!! I was not calculating that into my costs. I think for us, staying right on thr beach, we are going to skip the rental car. I think it will cheaper, and also much less hassle the morning of the cruise. Thanks everyone for all the responses, very helpful!!