Cell phone use at sea

taffy12

I've never cruised Norwegian before...and I've never cruised with a smartphone. On Carnival and Royal Caribbean, you can keep your phone on and exchange texts with people ashore for just 50 cents for outgoing texts, and free incoming. Is this the case with Norwegian as well? Also...I have a smartphone 6 and I'm not tech savvy. How would I configure my phone to be able to send and receive texts without risking outlandish data charges or what have you?

One can disable "data" or "roaming data". On most Android phones turn off Settings | Mobile Data or Settings | Mobile Data | Roaming data. The first turns off data regardless of where the phone is. The second turns off data only when the phone is roaming. Call your cell phone service provider for specific instructions.

SMS Text messages are not typically counted as data. If you can receive/send text, phone calls will also come through. As far as I know there is no way to disable one and not the other.

Call your carrier and ask what the text charges are (most are free for incoming). We activated one of our phones to be able to send/receive texts and calls (100 minutes of call time and 100 outgoing texts - unlimited incoming) for about $40, just in case. Proved to be worth it when my college daughter had a health issue.

Not sure about other carriers, but Verizon sent our other phones a text at every port letting us know what the text/call charges were at that port.

And yes, Airplane Mode disables data roaming.

You better turn iMessage off too or you use data

If you are with Verizon you need to call them and get their $40 plan for

100 talk minutes

100 outgoing texts (not messages

Unlimited incoming texts

100 mg of data

You go to cellular data and turn it off and use wifi in ports and if you want to check email on ship just turn data on for that and then off

You go to voice roaming only on

For $40 you have essentially turned your iPhone into a basic phone while cruising thus avoiding excessive data charges.....but....

You have gained....phone and text contact throughout your cruise

I'm sure there is a way but I don't know it....to get free texting onboard with your travel mates

Is that what I concierge does? We have no need to text each other onboard so I don't know...

I just want communication with those back home

Edited by luvtheships

I very much enjoy leaving my cell phone at home during our trips and cruises.

That's great but just hope you don't get delayed in transit or need to make rearrangements

Leaving the cell home in this day and age is ridiculous

And thinking that just because someone is looking at their cell means they are self absorbed is also silly

In the grocery store once some irritating total stranger person had the nerve to comment that I didnt need to be looking at my phone while shopping.....

Um ok.....I'm not supposed to look at my shopping list when shopping?

He was embarrassed as well he should have been. Lol

I guess the only way to shop with a list to him is with some crumbled paper with scribble on it

I'm proud to say as a kid that came of age in the 70's that I am totally savvy with technology and know how to use it!!!

Edited by luvtheships

The iConcerge app is an excellent resource that requires a cell phone. If you have a child in the Splash Academy, they can call you on your cell phone if there's an emergency. I also don't carry a paper daily around with me all day. I put the events I want to attend in my phone's calendar.

I agree about the iconcierge app. I am currently on the breakaway, and although not perfect it is nice to be able to text or call my kids anywhere on the ship.

I did try making a call out with the new international calling over wifi feature in IOS, but although I could hear fine, they couldn't hear me to well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by darrengs

That's great but just hope you don't get delayed in transit or need to make rearrangements

Leaving the cell home in this day and age is ridiculous

And thinking that just because someone is looking at their cell means they are self absorbed is also silly

In the grocery store once some irritating total stranger person had the nerve to comment that I didnt need to be looking at my phone while shopping.....

Um ok.....I'm not supposed to look at my shopping list when shopping?

He was embarrassed as well he should have been. Lol

I guess the only way to shop with a list to him is with some crumbled paper with scribble on it

I'm proud to say as a kid that came of age in the 70's that I am totally savvy with technology and know how to use it!!!

First of all, because I am happy without my cell doesn't amount to criticizing other for having one.

Second, you make a valid point about having difficulties getting in route to the airport. In our case, we don't do Caribbean cruises, we always have to fly to Europe, Asia, Australia or South America. The airport is 75 miles from our home and we don't take the phone, because it won't function overseas and we don't wish to use it on the ship. It would simply be in the safe in our cabin or in a hotel safe. Taking it also adds the risk of incurring charges, since I have read on cc of others injuring massive bills onboard even when their phone is locked in the safe.

For us, it is not ridiculous to leave the phone at home.

Third, I cannot remember ever seeing anyone on any of our 14 day cruises use a cellphone. That was very nice by the way. Since you bring up the subject, I do believe that for some people, most of them young people, are overly obsessed with their smart phones. It is not unusual to see a table fall of young people at a restaurant with everyone on their phone, not interacting with one another. Also, DW and bike quite a lot (over 100 per week) and on our bike trail, we frequently encounter people jogging, riding bikes or walking while talking on their phone most unaware of nature or the traffic on the path. If I yell out to let them know that I am passing them, they usually don't hear me (some have earphones in both ears, probably listening to music).

I am glad the taking your phone works for you and take no offense to that.

For iPhone users (because we are spoiled with iMessage), one thing to keep in mind is that a true text is only 160 characters. If you send a text that is 165 characters, it will count as two texts. Further, if you use emojis, it will cut the limited amount of characters down to 70 per text message. And an emoji itself counts as two characters.

First of all, because I am happy without my cell doesn't amount to criticizing other for having one.

Second, you make a valid point about having difficulties getting in route to the airport. In our case, we don't do Caribbean cruises, we always have to fly to Europe, Asia, Australia or South America. The airport is 75 miles from our home and we don't take the phone, because it won't function overseas and we don't wish to use it on the ship. It would simply be in the safe in our cabin or in a hotel safe. Taking it also adds the risk of incurring charges, since I have read on cc of others injuring massive bills onboard even when their phone is locked in the safe.

For us, it is not ridiculous to leave the phone at home.

Third, I cannot remember ever seeing anyone on any of our 14 day cruises use a cellphone. That was very nice by the way. Since you bring up the subject, I do believe that for some pjisteople, most of them young people, are overly obsessed with their smart phones. It is not unusual to see a table fall of young people at a restaurant with everyone on their phone, not interacting with one another. Also, DW and bike quite a lot (over 100 per week) and on our bike trail, we frequently encounter people jogging, riding bikes or walking while talking on their phone most unaware of nature or the traffic on the path. If I yell out to let them know that I am passing them, they usually don't hear me (some have earphones in both ears, probably listening to music).

I am glad the taking your phone works for you and take no offense to that.

Just an FYI for you.....the reason you need the cell phone that won't work in Europe etc is for those 75 miles to and from the airport. Car won't start or breaks down driver is late etc etc

As for massive phone charges....nope....not if you know what you are doing....those who say their phone is "locked" away and shut are doing something wrong. They must have smartphones but don't turn off cellular data or something of that sort because a phone that is not turned on will not incur charges until it is turned on. Someone looked at that phone and turn it on in order to be charged or it was not fully powered down.

Also you say your phones won't work abroad...that's too bad because in this day and age being abroad without means of communication ...talk and text....at the minimum with cell data off...is a basic requirement of travel.....just like making sure you have meds cash and cards with you....and just like travelers cheques in the old days...Just sayin'

So if your phone doesn't work abroad just leave it in your car or off in your ship safe so you have it when you return home. also it sounds like you have an old phone anyway...if it doesn't work abroad...does it even get data? If not then no charges....if it does...still no charges as it doesn't work abroad. Lol

Not sure why you worry about charges as your phone doesn't work abroad anyway. Lol

But as I stated I'm more concerned with the 75 mile drive to and from the airport

The fact that it's wise to have communication easily accessible while abroad is another story and if you are ok without it thats great.....for me and mine in this day and age....I want simple easy communication access....at home and abroad.

While you may be at a point in life where you don't need to worry about any real issues at home....some of us still do....and I wouldn't dream of sending my kids anywhere without communication access.....school....travel...etc and my kids travel to Europe constantly those lucky Devils.....just so you don't get upset with me....they work very hard and have several jobs and are high school and college age....and yep....it's on their dime not mine. Just wanted to clarify that in case you think they are spoiled. Lol

They pay their cell bills too

For those people jogging with earphones....they are listening to music is my guess

For those walking while looking at a phone....they are just being reckless with their safety

For those 70 yo I see texting while at a red light...you look as foolish as as an 18 yo doing that

For those guys in suits driving fancy cars and texting....really....no one is impressed with you

But....for anyone to feels cell phones are unneeded or silly or whatever.....that's just not realistic

For iPhone users (because we are spoiled with iMessage), one thing to keep in mind is that a true text is only 160 characters. If you send a text that is 165 characters, it will count as two texts. Further, if you use emojis, it will cut the limited amount of characters down to 70 per text message. And an emoji itself counts as two characters.

Exactly and thank you for passing that info along!!!