Anyone know how NCL is CURRENTLY handling "suspected contraband"?

Jesyth

I think because of the ubp, there is less checking for smuggled alcohol. On our recent Escape cruise, my 14 yo son put a 6 pack of ginger beer in his carry-on. It could have been a 6 pack of anything. They didn't even unzip the bag to look or even ask about it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ok so you are traveling Solo it sounds....and paying the single supplement too?

This is a long trip and will probably be costly so have you even considered bringing someone along?

Pay for them to either....stay on the ship in yours or another cabin

Or

Pay just for them to accompany you on the flight and up to the Ncl checkin counter

Or better yet......hire an aide at each interval for roughly $15 an hour

Go thru an agency and get one to accompany you to the airport

Get one to meet you at the transfer

Get one to meet you at the cruise embark port

They can even have a bag with what you need waiting for you at embark. Just arrange these things in advance

If I were traveling solo I would personally just bring one of my kids or of course that guy I married several years back...

But if you have no one that can join you maybe it is actually is worth it for you to get a travel companion

A nursing student perhaps?

A single teacher with summers off?

I'm not suggesting sharing a cabin but if that was agreeable why not?

You don't need to spend 24/7 together but by the sound of it you might seriously need help on a ship for 24 days.

I know you will probably not appreciate my suggestions but just by reading your posts I can't really fathom that you would even want to do this alone......basically just to have someone with you should anything happen to you

Now this is coming from someone who went to Tahiti from NYC totally alone as a 24 yo among many other far off destinations.....

But I don't know....it sounds like a travel companion is right up your alley....at least for this trip.....as you are medically incapacitated due to your surgery.

Edited by luvtheships

The comments in luvtheships above post are my exact thoughts as well

Take a companion with you at least for this trip

The way you describe your injury sounds as though it's quite difficult for you to get around at the moment on your own

Well at least that's how it sounds to me

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Carry it on with your other medications or plan on having to walk down to the naughty room.

lol, the "naughty room" comment brings back memories. I have only been on one cruise before and it never occurred to us that anything other than alcohol would be a problem. We had to walk to the "naughty" room:D. We were thinking the whole time that they were going to zap us for our wine. Turned out they were not happy with the dive knife my hubby had in his dive bag:(, right next to the wine:rolleyes:. They did not say a thing about the wine, but did make us get rid of the knife.

Iluv: No single supplement on my sailing (at all, they were removed from all of the TAs and drastically dropped for many of the happening very soon cruises), which leaves in 4 days, so I'm certainly not going to find anyone to go with me at this point, and I am used to navigating travel with my health problems on my own. Knowing that, as I said, I am planning accordingly for what will be needed for this trip. I'm 29 years old, and trying my best to not let my disabilities overtake every aspect of my life at this point.

Not trying to be rude, but I have had health restrictions my entire life so am pretty use to it. My autoimmune disorders are under control as long as I take my medications, just require some preparation and certain ways of being handled, and contingencies for if things go wrong. I carry an enormous amount of "in case" medication when out of the country where I don't have standing prescriptions - mostly antibiotics for virtually anything I could get, various additional steroids, and topical preps for the skin components. I have been sick since 16 and diagnosed in various stages up until two years ago, when we think we (finally) have it mostly sorted out. I am used to doing all of this on my own with special needs.

The biggest issue right now is that I reinjured the previous area involved in a foot reconstruction - no open wounds etc, just some internal swelling that we are stuck in a waiting pattern waiting to see how much of it will heal and resolve and what will be required next - so I am having to literally tread carefully. I can walk, I just can't stand or be on the foot for fairly long stretches at a time, lines etc. The only points there is any chance I would need assistance is embark and disembark and trying to quickly get through Atlanta's airport, which is one of my least favorite and very spread out. I have traveled for work and leisure, not infrequently since before and after the 4 year saga of my foot, let alone everything else. Alone. I do not use an assistive device on a daily basis or for STABILITY, just for decreased weight loading if needed. Alternatively, I can wear a CAM walker and skip the cane even on bad days, I just find that uncomfortable. Usually I am just braced. I can navigate stairs, buffets, etc without help. The entire reason for this cruise is that I am supposed to take it easy for another two weeks minimal before stepping up physical therapy and slowly returning to what is my level of general functionality, assuming all goes well. What better way to do it than float around on the cheap and meet some new people and see some things.

The cruise is only 16 days, I have a few stops planned on the way home plus the travel to get back.

As noted, all I really wanted was a simple answer to what I asked. I have the rest of it covered through the appropriate channels. Lol. While I understand you are trying to be helpful, it can come off as very presumptuous to assume to know the level of care someone needs. Again, not trying to be rude, but you will find that people with "functional disabilities" often are touchy about that and can find it very frustrating when people try to place more limitations than needed on them, because it's what they frequently encounter day to day, whereas they generally have learned strategies to deal with what their issues actually are (unless they are very elderly and not actually sure what is happening, or have a very fluid constantly evolving situation).

Anyway, I think the post has been sufficiently answered, thanks to those of you who offered advice, tips, info about the original question, etc. Also thank you to those who had tips or concerns about my needs; I think it's pretty well sorted out, but I do appreciate everyone trying to be helpful (I hate to ask for help at the airport and have only done so once before, but I figured better safe than sorry so it didn't ruin my whole first day or cause anymore harm).

I'll just take my chances with it in my bag, and I am quite certainly since the ship has my disability noted even if I have to go down, someone will be able to take it back up to my cabin for me if necessary on their timeframe if I ask. I hear NCL tries to be accommodating, and I won't have done anything wrong. So, here's to hoping! :)

Edit: Totts.. that's hilarious. I sometimes wonder how much these people even care about the alcohol stuff and if it really is just the luck of the draw.

Edited by Jesyth

You don't need a companion as my last cruise I was struggling to walk due to surgery. The ship personal were fantastic. I'm sure if the mouthwash causes problems they will assist getting it for the cruise. Don't stress - enjoy your cruise.

sfaaa - If you had thoroughly read my posts you would know why :) Moving on.

Karen - yes, that is what I will do :) It's not like I will need the bag immediately or require someone to stop whatever they are doing and take it that very moment.

Karoo - that's what I keep hearing, hope it's true! :) (I think I'm going on the same ship as you, btw)

Anywho. I have packing and more pressing things to arrange and posts to read or make I'm sure ;) As far as I can tell the answer was that in the experience of anyone here, at least last they sailed or had to deal with it, yes they were still having people go down to the room. Thanks all! :)

Not a joke, not a small bottle, I'm sure that wouldn't set off any concern (again, I use twice a day, I'll be traveling for 24 days total, cruise and not, it's the antiseptic orajel product with peroxide; mmmm yum. Not). I will already have two bags with me to board the ship, as I ALSO have to have a medical cooler carry bag.

*I know they don't "count as a carry on" but I still have to PHYSICALLY CARRY THEM ON, am traveling alone and in an ankle brace, recovering from reconstructive surgery complications to my foot and ankle. Possibly with a cane. I also may require assisted boarding - so I'd have to be able to fit anything on my lap. I did not, however, think all of that was pertinent to getting an answer, so didn't feel the need to originally elaborate, since I wasn't asking for advice on how to pack my bags or what to take. - Sorry to anyone who thought I needed to offer all of this information (the same people I imagine would then be like "wow oversharing!" seen enough of this forum for that, lol) or who, now having it, still can't connect the dots regarding carrying weight under those circumstances, mobility issues, and logistics. Usually I require two carryon bags (backpack and a large strap bag or small roller) for international trips just to get my actually necessary things to my trip - and that's without the cooler. I assure you, I would much prefer to travel light and desperately miss the days of being able to do so. I've already had to cut non-essential things out of y carryon pile that I would prefer not to check but will have to. There is simply not enough space. Especially since I see others now after looking it up suggesting putting ANY full sized toiletries in your carry on because cruise ships are "onto them all".. lol. I'll have shampoo and things too. Real bottles. In my checked luggage. It is what it is. :rolleyes: But that's why I wanted to know how NCL was handling it at present.

As to someone asking about why wasting bag weight - I wind up with plenty of extra weight in my checked baggage. I am not currently supposed to lift more than 35 pounds unless absolutely necessary, so while I prefer to travel light and can usually cram everything into one big bag, that's not a choice for me at the moment. It's actually better to have your bags as full as possible - thinking of stuffing a few pillows in for the extra padding. can't wear dressy shoes or things that typically suck up the weight, any cosmetics, scented hair items etc - things where women lose a lot of their weight allocation. And much PREFER to travel light.

Thank you to those of you who at least attempted to answer the question or provide helpful advice without the attitude :)

To those of you who seem to "not get it" I read endlessly that full sized mouthwash sets off their contraband indicator sometimes - as now do full sized bottles of shampoo conditioner etc because of people smuggling liquor or wine or whatever on. The reason I was alerted to this issue at all was that a friend of mine who frequently cruises was giving me "what to take" tips and was like "make sure you get your booze on in the mouthwash!" which led to me looking it up, and viola. I guess it's a big concern and NCL cracks down on it harder than most lines. Hence why I wish they'd just open my bag and check anything they were worried about but obviously, I can't dictate how they do business and I know some people have kittens over people "touching their stuff!!!" and get all indignant so I'm sure that's why they do it this way.

Sorry some people feel the need to reply solely to be rude and snarky but alas, the curse of the web forum. If you couldn't simply answer the question - is it still NCL's policy to call everyone down or are they just checking bags now if they see something "suspicious"? Or, as some did, at least attempt to be useful, I'm not sure why you would waste your time instead of rolling your eyes and moving along at what you perceived as stupidity. Oh well! Hope you have a delightful day anyway :D

You're overthinking this and worrying too much about it. Chances are it will be fine in your checked baggage and if it's not, it's not a big deal, they will make accommodations for you if you are mobility impaired.

Edited by Fido Chuckwagon

While I do sympathize with OP, I do not understand why one little travel brand of new sealed mouthwash will not fit in the carryon or even in a pants pocket. Just no freakin way!! If I was that dependent on anything that small, I would, as a last resort, buy a clear roll of packing tape, put the SMALL mouthwash in a ziplock and tape it fast to the top of the carryon. At the airport, open the ziplock to show security,and at the dock, reopen the bag to show security there.

This solution does not pass with the TSA 3-1-1 carry-on baggage program.

But know this that the TSA does not allow any containers of liquids over

3 ounces unless it is a baby necessity (baby required).

But beware of the alternate solution of buying mouth wash in the ships

gift shop where you give NCL the gift of money for an outrageously expensive

vial of mouth wash. Have the UBP you may not get the frosty minty tasting

stuff but I am sure the proof of the stuff will be more than enough to kill any

bacteria - but enough of that moving on - - -

Simply put all the mouth wash you need for the trip in your Checked Luggage.

If you have not received your bags at your stateroom door by sailing time

pick up the phone in your cabin and make an inquiry. Explain the situation

and find out what needs to be done and if they can help expedite this to a

conclusion. In a suite have your butler take care of this. Other cabins your

cabin steward may not have enough horsepower but give it a try.

Realize that embarkation everything is going to be a mad house.

The AP (Alcohol Police) know what is booze and then what is mouth wash or

medicinal prescription stuff. On the larger behemoth ships they do not have

a great deal of time to do a through inspection of every iota of baggage

brought on board !

I like these type of threads as they bring out the best of the topics of alcohol

passing muster legal medicinal and smuggling and every and anything in between !

Very strange and odd that someone would want to bring a 30 gallon cask

of mouth wash on board marked XXX aged for 15 years ! LOL !

Omg this thread has to be a joke

I see veteran posters are falling for it though!

Lol🤔I'm surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sometimes people with compromised immune systems need to be very diligent with keeping the inside of their mouths as germ free as possible. Speaking from experience after my son had a BMT. Hopefully this isn't a joke

Sometimes people with compromised immune systems need to be very diligent with keeping the inside of their mouths as germ free as possible. Speaking from experience after my son had a BMT. Hopefully this isn't a joke

Rest assured, it wasn't a joke. As I made clear, some significant health issues. I take Humira and prednisone both (sometimes also methotrexate and cyclosporine), in addition to the autoimmune diseases that I have that cause me to have to take them. They aren't joking about how those drugs significantly compromise your immune system and can cause serious issues with wound healing, and the mouth is a cess pool. Thanks for vouching for the fact that this is a real thing. (though I think the poster who made the comment you quoted was more being a jerk about was it a joke that I was worrying about getting the mouthwash on board without a huge hassle, not whether I actually wanted mouthwash - unsure) I hope your son is doing well post transplant.

To those of you who said I was probably overthinking it....you're probably right :P that's why I'm going to stop worrying about it and assume they'll work it out.

Edited by Jesyth

To those of you who said I was probably overthinking it....you're probably right :P that's why I'm going to stop worrying about it and assume they'll work it out.

You have to figure that hundreds of passengers on every single cruise on every single ship bring mouthwash. This isn't something out of the ordinary.