Thank goodness X doesn't....

Danno

I can identify, I am also a boat owner, and your right, very sad.:(

Phil

Sail or power...?? (Please don't say power...;) ) Ours is a 1977 CS27 sloop cruiser/racer...it's going to be a long winter.

Yup...in fact I'm sending my tiara out for pressing as we speak...do you starch a tiara??

That's because you've read a "little"...if you've investigated your cruise, you'll know that X offers a quieter, more traditional, cruise experience...that's what we X loyalists want in a cruise. I expect you'll not be disappointed. The attempt to paint all people who pursue a quieter, more subdued cruise as "snobs" is anything but accurate. Some of us just need a rest from the other 51 weeks of work.

I find myself quite entertained and intriqued by your posts. In February we will be enjoying our first Celebrity cruise, Eastbound Panama Canal on Summit. My BF and I enjoy dressing casually when not in areas/events that require more formalwear. Do you find cruisers with Celebrity that wear casual clothing (shirt & shorts) wandering the decks? I am slightly concerned that we will be underdressed. I appreciate your input.

To all, thanks for posting. I enjoy reading everyone's opinion even if it doesn't necessarily match my own.

:)

Schplinky it seems to me that you are the one keeping this negativity going. While everyone else seems to move on and talk about the lines YOU are going after Danno in a personal way that I and I am sure many do not find amusing or interesting. Drop it Schplinky.

I could not possibly have gone after Danno personally since I don't know him/her (I think it's a him but in French parts of our country, Dan can be short for Danielle). I was taking issue with the tone of his/her posts, as have others. As you say, some may not find me amusing (which was not my intent, anyway). Equally, some do not find Danno amusing but I fully support his right to keep posting his stuff as much as I would maintain my right to disagree. Danno's posts haven't changed and my disagreement hasn't so I have just decided to let it lay (or is it lie)? :)

My BF and I enjoy dressing casually when not in areas/events that require more formalwear. Do you find cruisers with Celebrity that wear casual clothing (shirt & shorts) wandering the decks? I am slightly concerned that we will be underdressed. I appreciate your input.

Casual wear is always acceptable during the day (shorts, sandels, etc.). You'll see people in bathing suits with a cover-up in the buffet area. In fact, you'll rarely see long pants (especially in the Caribbean) during the day. The evenings are for dressier clothes and the "Daily" will give you the dress code for after 6:00 pm. Go and enjoy your cruise. You'll find your fellow passengers friendly and most of them will be wearing smiles.:D

Garry

My BF and I enjoy dressing casually when not in areas/events that require more formalwear. Do you find cruisers with Celebrity that wear casual clothing (shirt & shorts) wandering the decks? I am slightly concerned that we will be underdressed. I appreciate your input.

Casual wear is always acceptable during the day (shorts, sandels, etc.). You'll see people in bathing suits with a cover-up in the buffet area. In fact, you'll rarely see long pants (especially in the Caribbean) during the day. The evenings are for dressier clothes and the "Daily" will give you the dress code for after 6:00 pm. Go and enjoy your cruise. You'll find your fellow passengers friendly and most of them will be wearing smiles.:D

Garry

Garry

I hope you continue to state what you like and dont like about this line. Making sweeping statements where you have no direct knowledge of others seems a bit disingenous and portrays you as an authority in an area where you are not. We can all read other board and posts from folks who have actually cruised those lines if we're interested in a comparison. Your passing along anecdotal evidence does nothing to inform folks.

Getting back to the mis-connect on this thread, I think the key complaint was not entirely in what you said but how you choose to phrase these posts. Coming at issues from a negative posture will undoubtedly bring a backlash. Perhaps your trying to be a dash more positive would help.

Last, trying to drag a dispute from this thread into others not only seems very small, it shows an attempt to pollute the boards. Your bad.

So what are you trying to say? I'm confused... You are on an X site and surprised that people like to praise the condition on X compared to other lines. I have yet seen a reply or comment about how you think other lines are better/worse than X for any defining moment on other lines.

Carnival still has commercials about them being the party line.

So often I have listened to people describing the "pink polka dots" (as an example) at sunset and then wanting to think that their observations are as valid as mine.

The topic... what do you like/dislike about X or other cruiselines.. not what do you think about MY or any other poster's observation about that line.

Dumb people learn by their mistakes; smart people learn by the mistakes of others. I don't have to get on the Titanic to learn that drowning at sea is no picnic.

I feel better knowing others will be dressed casually on deck. It's my understanding that most areas (theatres, shows, etc) after 6 pm there are dress requirements, but I thought on deck around the pool areas it would be acceptable to wear something more casual. We enjoy sitting on deck and looking at the big beautiful sky. Of course since this time we have a balcony (veranda) depending on our view we might relax there instead :D

The topic... what do you like/dislike about X or other cruiselines.. not what do you think about MY or any other poster's observation about that line.

Actually, that's not the topic of the thread on my computer.

My disagreement has been with Danno's tone and the conclusinos he's reporting based not on cruising these lines but on what he's heard or from on the beach with people on another line (which seems a ridiculous example). That would be no more reasonable than me judging Celebrity by the negative tone of his posts.

Clearly, there will no resolution to this because neither he (I think we're agreed on that) nor I have changed our opinions.

I found your post hard to understand but I doubt I've changed your mind either.

Life's like that.

I feel better knowing others will be dressed casually on deck. It's my understanding that most areas (theatres, shows, etc) after 6 pm there are dress requirements, but I thought on deck around the pool areas it would be acceptable to wear something more casual. We enjoy sitting on deck and looking at the big beautiful sky. Of course since this time we have a balcony (veranda) depending on our view we might relax there instead :D

The pool decks are always considered casual, night and day. Have a great cruise.:)

Thought it was finally time for me to jump into this, as I am sometimes know around my house as "Catmand the Thread killer."

We have now sailed Princess twice and celebrity twice. We have two future cruises booked, one Princess, one Celebrity. We feel some things are better on Princess, some Celebrity. If you took all the passengers from the past four cruises, put them in a bag and shook it, what spilled out would be pretty much the same. You would have a whole bunch of pretty nice people enjoying their vacations, I doubt anyone could tell them apart.

These boards and the more vocal members are not representative of the majority of the 2,000 people you will be sailing with, most having never heard of Cruise Critic.

Glad to see this thread return to being a Cruise Critic thread instead of a Cruiser Critic thread. ;)

Please remember, discuss cruising, not each other.

As to cruising, opinions are like noses; everyone's got one.

And despite my frequent comment, that everyone's entitled to my opinion, please remember that an opinion is a very personal thing. As with noses, you may find someone's opinion not as attractive as you might like.

And, as with noses, please consider the hurt or discomfort you might impart if you express how unattractive an opinion (or a nose) is to you.

Thanks.

Thought it was finally time for me to jump into this, as I am sometimes know around my house as "Catmand the Thread killer."

We have now sailed Princess twice and celebrity twice. We have two future cruises booked, one Princess, one Celebrity. We feel some things are better on Princess, some Celebrity. If you took all the passengers from the past four cruises, put them in a bag and shook it, what spilled out would be pretty much the same. You would have a whole bunch of pretty nice people enjoying their vacations, I doubt anyone could tell them apart.

These boards and the more vocal members are not representative of the majority of the 2,000 people you will be sailing with, most having never heard of Cruise Critic.

lol, Chuck, isn't that what I was trying to say a few posts back?:D

But how come I didn't think of that bag analogy, that was great:D

Phil

Snooty, snobby, pretentious, looking down their noses, yada yada yada.

It might do to remind people that the use of these words mostly reflects poorly on the user- that it states that how others behave make you doubt your own self worth. Yes, there are people who brag (I bet I do sometimes:o Wish I were a better person...:) ) but when I'm around what you might label "braggers" or "snobs", I'm not mortally offended, just chalk it up to their insecurity, and move on.

There is not one sailing of Celebrity in the history of the line that was "full of snobs" any more than any other line. What is common to all lines(and to all social situations in life, for that matter) is that there are some who 'express their sense of entitlement freely' (how's THAT for word-smithing!;) ) and others who are intimidated by it in such a way as to affect their opinion of the line. Celebrity, Crystal, Cunard, Princess all have this (I'll stop the list there, as these are the only current lines that I've sailed on, but I guarantee that there are the same folks on RCI and Carnival and Costa and Seaborne, and....)

What one should do, if I may be so presumputous (Me? Nah...:D ) is feel good about who you are (remember me talking about "your story?" we all have one-tell it proudly!) and then try to understand others' motivation for bragging, for put downs, etc. No, I'm not saying you have to link arms with everyone and sing 'Kumbayah,' just that you might either get to know the person, and the behavior will change as their (and your) comfort level changes, or it won't and you know that being around this person "ain't fun" and you go about your business. No bitter recriminations about the cruise line, or irate vetches about snobs on board, just : "hmmm, want to hang out with that person? Not so much..."

Maybe those other people won't be happier if you take this attitude, but guess what? You probably will! And isn't that more important?

Happy Cruising,

The-ever-verbose-Andrew

Are you saying that the being the former should be the latter?:( Then I'm [B]REALLY[/B] in trouble!:eek:

But look who I'm listening to- a stinkpot owner! ;) (the family is split 50/50 motor and sail, but I say have both-ya' got to get out to the moring for the sloop somehow, and who wants to row? ...and that pesky launch that the yacht club provides is [B][U]so[/U][/B] inferior! :D )

Andrew

[quote name='Blazerboy']...the family is split 50/50 motor and sail, but I say have both-ya' got to get out to the mooring for the sloop somehow, and who wants to row?
Andrew[/quote]

Nope....I have a slip!! I hate tenders, whether the belong to Celebrity or to me...

After watching [B]X [/B]load tenders, I'm resonably sure I can get 21 people in an 8 foot Walker Bay dinghy.

"move to the back please....move further back please" [B]SPLASH[/B] "somebody wanna fish Nanna out"

Danno, when we were young, my brothers had to commute to school across the harbor in a ten foot wooden skiff with a 6hp Evinrude.(Sounds like a version of the "I had to walk to and from school six miles up hill, both ways , in the snow" routine that my father used to give) I think the glamour wore off the first time they had to chip ice out of the bottom of the boat! But 'tenders' are a necessary evil in towns that don't have slip space....:rolleyes: Even for cruise ships.:)

Andrew

Archived