No Tokens and only One Day Passes to be Sold at Dockyard in 2016

njhorseman

I think Bermuda has reached a point where they are struggling with the influx of massive numbers of cruise passengers and need to balance the tourism with the quality of life for local residents.

On this trip, my parents said that one of the bus drivers was fairly hostile towards cruise passengers, even making a tourist (kid) give up their seat for a local rider.

I'm not quite sure though why they would eliminate the Horseshoe specials, as this just means the local will be crowded and this is to the detriment of the daily commuters.

It also seems like there are more and more cars on the island now and fewer mopeds. Eliminating buses and making people more reliant on cab transportation will only add to the congestion.

I wonder if demand for the 3 day pass was reduced when the NCL Breakaway moved up its departure time by a couple of hours last year and that is why they were eliminated, or if they just thought that by selling only two day passes, more people will stay in the dockyard area on their 3rd port day thereby reducing congestion and strain on the rest of the island.

I also wonder if they are trying to figure things out in advance of next year's America's Cup sailings, which will be bringing even more people to the island in late May through June of 2017.

They built the berths for those ships. Heritage Wharf was built a few years ago for Breakaway. They are responsible for the massive numbers of passengers. So they have a responsibility to have sufficient transportation for the passengers and for local residents. Eliminating those extra buses is not being responsible. If they can't provide transportation for the massive numbers then they should stop using both berths at the same time.

As far as the 3 day passes, I never bought one, I bought the 2 day pass because on that last day I would only need one bus RT or ferry RT. I think most passengers only need the 2 day so that is a reason they were not selling. I think most who bought it only used it for one RT the last day or didn't use it the third day.

As for the America's Cup, I think they will have viewing areas all around the island. I was told people would be able to view the race from anywhere. I usually cruise in June, have been on Summit the last three Junes, but I won't be booking next year. Celebrity has jacked up their prices for that time period. The finish line is where the Summit docks.

Edited by Charles4515

It's been rather clear for several years that Bermuda doesn't have the money to buy new buses or even keep the ones they already have in good repair. A couple of weeks ago there were significant cancellations when buses had to be pulled off the road for inspection and repair after a wheel fell off a bus.

It's rather typical inept government management, not very different than what we have in the US. Build a new pier and dredge the ship channel so that larger ships carrying far more passengers can visit Bermuda, but don't provide sufficient lift to transport those passengers because you don't have the money to buy new buses.

They can't provide sufficient ferry service either. The high speed cats they bought some years ago aren't properly maintained and in order to provide ferry service to St. George in the cruise season they've had to charter a US-based ferry. NCLH, not Bermuda's government, will be building ferries to ensure that the additional passengers NCLH ships will be bringing into St. George have transportation available.

We've been regular visitors to Bermuda for nearly 30 years. In the past we never had to think twice about transportation to wherever we wanted to go. We bought passes, tokens or a ticket book...whatever best suited our needs on a particular visit...and took the buses and ferries everywhere. It has to be 25 years since we've taken a taxi, and we never had to worry about sufficient bus service to get to the South Shore beaches. Now you're forced to spend more money for a shared shuttle to get to the beach. Last year my wife was going to take a shuttle to Horseshoe Bay on the last day we were in port, but couldn't. It was early October and they had apparently discontinued the shuttles by that time. As a result she didn't get to the beach...it's too risky on the last day to rely on the bus.

We still love Bermuda and will be going again this October, but if things keep moving in a negative direction as they have for the past few years, who knows if we'll continue to vacation there.

Please excuse my rant.

Just a brief comment on one previous post. It is the custom in Bermuda (and used to be everywhere) for children to give up their seats to adults. I suspect the bus driver was not hostile to tourists, just hostile to the idea of children sitting when adults were standing. Growing up in NYC many years ago I always gave up my bus or subway seat for adults.

Just a brief comment on one previous post. It is the custom in Bermuda (and used to be everywhere) for children to give up their seats to adults. I suspect the bus driver was not hostile to tourists, just hostile to the idea of children sitting when adults were standing. Growing up in NYC many years ago I always gave up my bus or subway seat for adults.

I thought the same about the bus driver. More so if the stander was an older/senior adult.

I thought the same about the bus driver. More so if the stander was an older/senior adult.

As a data point....I have had Bermudian children offer me their seat on the bus when I was standing. I didn't take them up on their offer because I am able bodied but I did appreciate it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

We've been to Bermuda 4 times (2014 and 2015 on the NCL Breakaway, most recently). My parents just returned from the NCL Breakaway. They have been to Bermuda 7 or 8 years in a row now on NCL cruises.

I think Bermuda has reached a point where they are struggling with the influx of massive numbers of cruise passengers and need to balance the tourism with the quality of life for local residents.

On this trip, my parents said that one of the bus drivers was fairly hostile towards cruise passengers, even making a tourist (kid) give up their seat for a local rider.

I'm not quite sure though why they would eliminate the Horseshoe specials, as this just means the local will be crowded and this is to the detriment of the daily commuters.

It also seems like there are more and more cars on the island now and fewer mopeds. Eliminating buses and making people more reliant on cab transportation will only add to the congestion.

I wonder if demand for the 3 day pass was reduced when the NCL Breakaway moved up its departure time by a couple of hours last year and that is why they were eliminated, or if they just thought that by selling only two day passes, more people will stay in the dockyard area on their 3rd port day thereby reducing congestion and strain on the rest of the island.

I also wonder if they are trying to figure things out in advance of next year's America's Cup sailings, which will be bringing even more people to the island in late May through June of 2017.

That is not hostility it is manners. I have seen over and over Bus drivers ask local kids to give up their seats for cruise ship passengers. I am quite sure this "kid" was pubescent male, not some five year old. This is the custom and it is expected that a young man give up his seat for an adult.....no news story there......

As a data point....I have had Bermudian children offer me their seat on the bus when I was standing. I didn't take them up on their offer because I am able bodied but I did appreciate it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very nice of them.

Edited by Arzeena