Salty Dog Gastropub on the Grand.

deerby27

Salty Dog is only on Crown, Emerald and Ruby and so far there have been no further announcements that it is planned for other ships. The Wheelhouse Bar is much smaller on the original Grand-class ships (Grand, Golden, Star and Caribbean) and I doubt it would be practical to add the high-top tables to them. Nor is there likely adequate galley space to prepare the food.

When I was on Emerald a couple weeks ago they were begging for business. I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing Salty Dog expand anytime soon.

Edited by fishywood

Is this Salty Dog taking the place of the Pub Lunch? Does it have an upcharge or is it free?

Pub Lunch is still offered at no charge on sea days.

Salty Dog Pub is held nightly from 6:00-10:00 in Wheelhouse on the three ships above. Cover charge is $19 per person, not including any drinks. Click for the MENU.

When I was on Emerald a couple weeks ago they were begging for business. I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing Salty Dog expand anytime soon.

We ate there on the Emerald two days ago. We were the only two in the place the entire time. Hours with no one else.

Salty Dog is only on Crown, Emerald and Ruby and so far there have been no further announcements that it is planned for other ships. The Wheelhouse Bar is much smaller on the original Grand-class ships (Grand, Golden, Star and Caribbean) and I doubt it would be practical to add the high-top tables to them. Nor is there likely adequate galley space to prepare the food.

I believe that the Crown, Emerald and Ruby are the only ships that have food service capability in the Wheelhouse Bar and those are the only ships that have the Pub Lunch in the Wheelhouse Bar. On the Grand, Golden, Star and Caribbean the Pub Lunch is in the Crown Grill and on the Coral and Island it is in the Bayou Cafe and Steakhouse. For better or worse, it appears that only the three ships will get the Salty Dog but who knows for certain. Edited by IECalCruiser

Just off the Crown to Mexico and no longer any pub lunch in the Wheelhouse. Sad to see that disappear. Not excited about Salty Dog. Never saw much of a crowd in there. $19.00 charge seemed a bit pricey when the Crab Shack, which is wonderful by the way, only charges $20.00. Will hopefully look forward to the Salty Dogs demise.

Just off the Crown to Mexico and no longer any pub lunch in the Wheelhouse. Sad to see that disappear. Not excited about Salty Dog. Never saw much of a crowd in there. $19.00 charge seemed a bit pricey when the Crab Shack, which is wonderful by the way, only charges $20.00. Will hopefully look forward to the Salty Dogs demise.

I can understand why they eliminated the free pub lunch since it was in competition with the $19 Salty Dog. While I never tried the Salty Dog it did look good- but not for a $19 hamburger. :(

Wasn't your cruise under a Norovirus alert? Several unhappy threads about it on here. That is why there was no Pub Lunch; there have been no other reports that it had been eliminated on the ships with Salty Dog. It was held on both sea days on Emerald when I was on.

Wasn't your cruise under a Norovirus alert? Several unhappy threads about it on here. That is why there was no Pub Lunch; there have been no other reports that it had been eliminated on the ships with Salty Dog. It was held on both sea days on Emerald when I was on.

Why would they eliminate the Pub lunch is they had Noro on the ship?

Why would they eliminate the Pub lunch is they had Noro on the ship?

Mainly because every available server is needed in the HC when self-service is suspended there. With all the necessary code red precautions it is much too difficult and time consuming to open an extra venue for at most a hundred or so lunches served. And how the heck are they going to serve fish and chips without being able to leave the bottle of vinegar on the table--or even let the passenger touch the bottle as the waiter would be required to pour it himself and then take it away? The limitations imposed by code red force the decision to eliminate some venues rather than offer a severely limited version of its service--on one ship (not Princess) even the hamburger grill was closed for the duration of an outbreak.

We were on the Crown on 3/26 and they had the Pub lunch in the Crown Grill.

• 2 weeks later...
Fresh, unlimited delicious seafood at the Crab Shack for $20 seems like a real bargain compared with 3 small plates of food in Gastro Pub for $19. Think I'll pass and stick with Pub Lunch. Have always loved Pub Lunch!! :D

The three plates are plenty, plus with appetizers and dessert we left behind plenty of food. I've added a review with pictures in my signature.

The three plates are plenty, plus with appetizers and dessert we left behind plenty of food. I've added a review with pictures in my signature.

Just finished reading your review. Thanks for taking time to write one.