For those that have to use a fan while sleeping....

TexBrit1969

This may sound like a dumb question to some, but there are others who will totally "get it".

For those of you who are used to sleeping with a fan, is there a particular one you can recommend that is small & portable enough to take on a cruise, but also offers enough of a "hum" to help drown out any noises in the halllways, etc?

Thanks!

I bought this one for my last cruise. It didn't last the full night on a charge, but that was ok for me. It lasted most of the night and you could keep it plugged in all night instead of using the battery. It's rechargeable and has a usb cord instead of a regular outlet.

http://www.amazon.com/BTOOP-Portable-Stroller-Rechargeable-Quietness/dp/B00V9TCCDY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1460670494&sr=8-3&keywords=Rechargeable+clip+fan#customerReviews

This may sound like a dumb question to some, but there are others who will totally "get it".

For those of you who are used to sleeping with a fan, is there a particular one you can recommend that is small & portable enough to take on a cruise, but also offers enough of a "hum" to help drown out any noises in the halllways, etc?

Thanks!

There are free "fan noise" apps for your phone, some of which get great reviews. Why cart an actual fan around?

I need the airflow a fan provides...don't give a FIG about the noise! I bring a 5 inch desk fan....electric..with an extension cord. Easy to pack. Doesn't "run out of batteries"....batteries weigh A LOT and won't last an entire week.

I don't find ANYTHING "drowns out" ambient noise....if there is a thump or loud folks in the hall, you're gonna hear them.

If it's background noise you want...there are APPS for that! Or, leave your TV on a non-station for the static sound.

Edited by cb at sea

I totally get it but for me it is rain mostly, but any white noise will do for me most times. This is a hard time of year for me because it's to hot to run the space heater in the bed room, and to cold to put on the A/C!

If you don't need the air flow from the fan itself, I agree if you have a smart phone look into the white noise apps that are out there. There are some really really great ones! You also don't have to be 100% worried about it wasting phone battery, as a lot of the free ones have timers. You can try it at home on a day you don't have to work the next day and see if you wake up when the noise is gone. Then you just have to set it to play for an hour or so until you fall asleep.

I use this one:

http://www.truevalue.com/product/4-Inch-High-Velocity-Tilt-Fan/23003.uts?keyword=4%20inch%20fan

It is small but well made all metal frame and actually moves a lot of air for its small size. I take an extension cord along as well - never a problem

I take a small fan on all my travels. I like the airflow and need the sound as background noise. My fan is about 5" in diameter and all metal. I take a 10' extension cord. It has lasted over 15 years. I always place them in my checked luggage and I've never had a problem.

I have a great white noise device at home and I used to pack it. What a pain! I now use the app called Relax Melodies. I think it was a buck to download. There are so many options, though I just use the white noise. You have volume control too, unlike my machine at home.