Small company ownership?

navy boy

Would a small company ownership along the lines of Fred Olsen protect the image and quality of the P&O product

Hard to say as it would need a lot of money behind it.

I am sure part of the reason Fred only has small ships, beside being popular, is that it could not afford to purchase a newer (notice not new) larger vessel.

Much as one hates corporate sticking their fingers in, they do have the money.

Fred may say luxurious cabins in their brochures ,but compared to P and O they are not.

Some of the cabins on P and O ships may be well used (tatty) but the fittings themselves are not old as in Fred ships old.

You are going to get some posting--what quality, and image, but that is because they take any chance they can to kick Pando.

Would a small company ownership along the lines of Fred Olsen protect the image and quality of the P&O product

No as there would not be the financial clout behind it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just had a thought -think Hebridean Princess-the ship/boat the queen has rented in the past. Their prices are rather on the high side to say the least.

The company used to be 2 ships, now only one, as they couldn't afford to keep 2 operating. They keep the one going by high prices...prices P and O regulars would not pay.

It's funny but unless the cabin had something obviously broken and not working, as long as my bed linen and towels are clean, I tend not to be concerned about age. I have things at home that are old, doesn't everyone? We have never had a bad cabin on Fred, the only thing I don't like is that in the lower priced cabins, like inside and outside, they tend to be in an L-shaped config and we would rather have a double bed, but what the hell! We are on Black Watch next, followed by Oriana.

I tend not to be concerned about age. I have things at home that are old, doesn't everyone? .

No, they don't. Well I don't.

I love my home to be clean and tidy. I don't do tatty or old and once things get that way then I replace them.

So when I go on holiday and I am spending thousands then I expect the company that I am spending the money with to offer decent, clean, untatty rooms.

I dont want chipped tiles, or stained carpet or threadbare furniture.

One wouldn't settle for it in a 4 or 5 star hotel so why should an expensive cruise be any different?

I believe that the ethos of P&O has been swallowed up by Carnival. P&O's past history and quality has effectively been asset stripped in order to support the American side of Carnival's assets.

I do feel that the British market is large enough to easily support a company of 4 or 5 medium sized ships which could be run at an operating profit if supported by a loyal client base, and P&O of old have just that, but it is disappearing fast under the current barrage of complaints. I am sure the current management do hear those complaints, but refuse to act as customers keep coming to the brand we consider as British as cruising gets. I have a sad feeling that the management laugh at the British market and keep banking the money.

I feel the name would be better in a small company ownership who listen to the customers and act appropriately to retain loyalty , that means balancing standards to cost, if the cost needs to rise a bit then fine, but give us a product we are happy with as we are the real future of P&O, without us the company is nothing, so listen to us and keep the standards reasonable.

The older existing P&O fleet is ideal for a new company but Carnival know this so there is no way they will sell, they will just keep right on taking the money and cutting cost to reap the maximum profit.

The whole situation is so sad, the only way it will change is for the customers to get together in huge numbers and boycott the company for a period (effectively go on strike) until they either sell up or change their approach.

I believe that the ethos of P&O has been swallowed up by Carnival. P&O's past history and quality has effectively been asset stripped in order to support the American side of Carnival's assets.

I do feel that the British market is large enough to easily support a company of 4 or 5 medium sized ships which could be run at an operating profit if supported by a loyal client base, and P&O of old have just that, but it is disappearing fast under the current barrage of complaints. I am sure the current management do hear those complaints, but refuse to act as customers keep coming to the brand we consider as British as cruising gets. I have a sad feeling that the management laugh at the British market and keep banking the money.

I feel the name would be better in a small company ownership who listen to the customers and act appropriately to retain loyalty , that means balancing standards to cost, if the cost needs to rise a bit then fine, but give us a product we are happy with as we are the real future of P&O, without us the company is nothing, so listen to us and keep the standards reasonable.

The older existing P&O fleet is ideal for a new company but Carnival know this so there is no way they will sell, they will just keep right on taking the money and cutting cost to reap the maximum profit.

The whole situation is so sad, the only way it will change is for the customers to get together in huge numbers and boycott the company for a period (effectively go on strike) until they either sell up or change their approach.

I have been hearing this for the past 12 year. About the time when the Internet started to grow. It's not new and it's looking back instead of forward.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by daiB

The british market already has 2 companies with 4 or 5 ships operating at a profit, Fred Olsen and Thomson soon to be rebranded TUI. There are some smaller operators too.

Talking about balancing standards to cost I read elsewhere that the daily food budget is about $10 per passenger. Would increasing the cost of the cruise by say £3 per day really result in empty ships?

If you want 'posh' cruising Carnival have Cunard and for luxury Seabourne.

Dai, Yes we have all heard this message before but we all have heard the ongoing arguments that the company is dumbing down and down and down, keep telling Carnival or they have not only won their approach but done so without comment. I am in my early 50's, I have cruised for 20 years and spent over 1 year at sea and followed the feeds throughout, hopefully I will be able to tell Carnival my genuine feedback for the next 30 or 40 years.

It would not cost much more than we already pay to raise the spend on food and entertainment and stop most of the complaints on this and other sites but Carnival won't do so, if they raise the cost I fear they would consider it extra profit. It does not have to go expensive like the 6 starlines to make a difference