Live review Anthem of the Seas - 18th April 2016

not sure if you're taking photo requests, but I would love to see some pics of the scrapbooking kits available for purchase in the Two70 workshop.

Hi Skrapngal. If they are on display, I will do my best. However, as I won't be doing the scrapbook myself, it won't be a priority for me to get the photo.

My plan this morning was to go up the Statue of Liberty. My ankles are a little sore from the flight, so I have opted to admire the statue from Liberty Park, take a few photos and then move onto NYC and best spend my time there. I will try and do the Statue of Liberty on my next visit.

A piece of information to the Brits. If your phone provider doesn't offer the ability to make calls home to the UK or surf the internet from within your allowance, get a pre-pay Three Mobile Sim. You can make phone calls home from within your call allowance without incurring any additional charges. You can even surf the internet from within your allowance as well. I won't go into too much details, but it's worth looking into.

Going back to my live review. I did a quick walk around the streets near the hotel. I couldn't really get my head around where to find some of the fact that some of the shops are closed on a Saturday. I guess I am used to shops being open in the UK 7 days a week. No drama.

If I ever come back to the US, I won't be staying in the Hilton Penn Station. The Air conditioning is noisy and is in need of some general facelift. Also, the windows are not sound proof. With Penn Station being nearby, you can be awake quite early, and kept awake until late. Visitors beware. The hotel is ok to stay in, but I am sure there are better ones around.

I like the Robert Treat. How are you getting to Liberty State Park? It's quite a hike from the light rail to the waterfront. They used to offer public bus service from the rail station, but alas no more. The only way to shorten your walk is to take the light rail to Essex, walk the 4 blocks to the Liberty Landing Ferry at the foot of Warren St., and pay the extra $2 to take the ferry across the channel.

I like the Robert Treat. How are you getting to Liberty State Park? It's quite a hike from the light rail to the waterfront. They used to offer public bus service from the rail station, but alas no more. The only way to shorten your walk is to take the light rail to Essex, walk the 4 blocks to the Liberty Landing Ferry at the foot of Warren St., and pay the extra $2 to take the ferry across the channel.

I got tl Liberty State Park from the light rail by foot to the terminal. It was an easy walk fown but a painful ealk back. I decided to go up the statue to the crown. Now onto Manhatten. :o

So I am back from my "I'm a tourist" adventure. Visited the Statue of Liberty and went to the Crown. Boy, was that a mistake. I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow, when I am on the ship. I've only just got back and need something to eat. Today has been a long day.

Whilst the transport system looks simple on paper, it's as confusing as anything can be. I guess I am lucky to have the London Underground. What would have helped on the Metro system is if there were maps as to what stations are served by certain platforms. Even some of the locals were confused as to where they were going.

Anyway, I have also done the Empire State Building. Was going to go and do the Rockefeller Centre instead, but my legs couldn't carry me that far. According to my pedometer, I have done 21,000+ steps. That probably explains why I can't feel my feet. I hope I can board the ship tomorrow without my legs giving way.

There is a nice Indian restaurant on 34th Street in NYC. I can't remember what it is called, but it's near a car park and Subways. I can recommend it. I will try and mention it by name later on or on my post-cruise review. I wish I had an extra day to do some more sightseeing. At least I know I can get to NYC from Newark Penn Station.

As I said, I'll try and post some images tomorrow, but am not making any promises.

If I need to make an amendment tomorrow, I will do so in a new post.

My review of my time in NYC / Newark NJ.

Hilton Hotel Penn Station.

Pros. Booked via Royal Caribbean. Booking can be linked after checkout (at least a few days afterwards) to Hilton Honours (unless it has changed since I last used the Hilton chain of hotels), which can subsequently be used to prop up my British Airways Avios points. Close to the Metro station with quick access into NYC. Hotel restaurant does cater for vegetarians. (Can't comment about vegans. Sorry!)

Cons. Not much to do in the area. Not necessarily unsafe, but not overly comfortable. Most shops in the area are closed on a Saturday. I appreciate that I didn't really venture out far and wide, but I felt more comfortable in NYC than in the area around the hotel. Hotel restaurant, like most hotel restaurants, limited menu and expensive. Gift shop isn't really a gift shop. Newsagents (or whatever they are called) in the station and vending machines are generally cheaper for food and drinks, but is ok for saving time. Window is not sound proof, can hear the trains honking as they pull in or depart from the station.

Metro system & Light Railway / Tram.

Pros. Few stations which means quick journey times from one end to the other end. Also access to the Light railway system in the Exchange area, which links to Liberty Park and beyond. Cheap travel costs and is comparable to London travel. Can get a pre-paid card to save on travel.

Cons. Not all stations display what has been charged when going through the barriers. Not quite clear which way the ticket goes in through the ticket barrier. Knowing which platform to go to is confusing, unless you already know the system. Not map of the routes displayed on the platforms (unless I have missed it) to give people an idea which train goes where. No ticket inspectors checking that the passengers have paid their way.

NYC

Pros. Feels like central London, with the exception of Hot Dog stands. Good enough connections on the Metro station. Good selection of shops. B&H Audio and Photo can be found at a good location which is accessible via the Metro System. Good tourist opportunities. Good food outlet options and reasonably priced.

Cons. Can get crowded. Tourist locations are expensive, compared to London. Taxes (no... not Taxis) should be displayed or at lasted included in the price. It's not as if we have a choice as to whether we pay it or not.

I won't go into the specifics of the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building, but will say that it was worth the effort and that it was a shame I didn't have time to discover more of NYC. Also disappointing that there are no shuttle bus or taxis from the Light Railway / Tram to the ferry port.

Overall good experience, but if I could change anything, I would prefer to stay in a different hotel.

Enjoying your review. :)

NY is busy. You should see the crowds around Christmas.

Good walking shoes are a must, as you will know, you will walk, walk, walk.

I have reasonably good walking shoes. Sadly, I have torn ligaments in both ankles and muscular pain in my right pain. To be honest, Oxford Street in London makes NYC look quiet. At least you can walk in NYC without slowing down or walking into anyone.

I have reasonably good walking shoes. Sadly, I have torn ligaments in both ankles and muscular pain in my right pain. To be honest, Oxford Street in London makes NYC look quiet. At least you can walk in NYC without slowing down or walking into anyone.

We were also in Liberty Park yesterday and took the ferry into the city. I actually noticed that it was the least crowded I have ever seen it. We only went to Ground Zero and around Battery Park but still - it didn't even feel like we were in NYC at all. It sure was a gorgeous day though wasn't it? See you on board [emoji322][emoji322][emoji322]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were also in Liberty Park yesterday and took the ferry into the city. I actually noticed that it was the least crowded I have ever seen it. We only went to Ground Zero and around Battery Park but still - it didn't even feel like we were in NYC at all. It sure was a gorgeous day though wasn't it? See you on board [emoji322][emoji322][emoji322]

I wasn't sure if I would be allowed to get the ferry to NYC if I started in NJ. If we can, then it's a lesson learnt.

I wasn't sure if I would be allowed to get the ferry to NYC if I started in NJ. If we can, then it's a lesson learnt.

I would think so - there was no security or customs or anything like that.

Well, I am on board the Anthem. I must admit that I didn't the first impression Wow that I did on the Oasis class ship. However, it is impressive. Check in was quick and painless. Got on board around 10:30-10:45.

I am currently sitting in 270 eating a salad, but the salad choices are not as good as Park Cafe on the Oasis class ship. However, this isn't a complaint as such ad I am happy with what is on offer.

The room isn't open until after 1pm. Once I have dropped off my hand luggages, I will go exploring proper with my camera and take some snaps.

The sun is shining and it's a lovely day.

Looking forward to your live review and hopefully many photos. I'm a longtime NCL cruiser, but very interested in trying RCCL, especially the Anthem as it departs from the NY/NJ area. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

To all the power extension cord ban campaigners... just to let you know that my power cord has been allowed.

A small victory! Have a wonderful cruise, looking forward to your updates!