5 people in taxi van from FLL

przyk

Does anyone have experience requesting a taxi van at FLL?

We are staying at a Miami airport area hotel pre cruise. I think a taxi would work best for my party of 5 adults landing at FLL and going to the Miami airport area hotel. I am confused about whether we can be sure we can get a taxi van at FLL and whether the van is big enough to hold 5 adults with our luggage.

I read on Trip Advisor that the dispatchers at FLL will not call a van for a large group and we could be divided into two cabs. That has not been my experience at other airports, so I am questioning that information.

We are using points for rooms and meeting others who arriving at MIA, so the hotel is set. I understand it would make more sense for us to stay at a hotel closer to the Port of Miami, but that is not happening.

We have been in a van when we didn't need to be (small party). I'm certain you will have no problem getting a taxi van for your group. You may have to put the carry-on bags in laps, but I think you can do it. Drivers deal with this all the time, don't worry about it. :)

You do know how much this will cost though, right? It will probably be between $75 and $90 on the meter - just wanted to be sure you knew this.

Thanks for the replies. I am aware of the cost, but at about $15 per person for a shuttle it seems easier and more efficient to just grab a taxi. I have never done Uber, but may give it a try if I am prompted by some of the younger ones in our party, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the replies. I am aware of the cost, but at about $15 per person for a shuttle it seems easier and more efficient to just grab a taxi. I have never done Uber, but may give it a try if I am prompted by some of the younger ones in our party, lol.

Rent a mini-van. Several car companies have free shuttles from their downtown Miami location to PoM. I just checked and I can get a minivan for $45 (tax & everything included) via Priceline for our upcoming PoM cruise in 4 weeks.

12 years ago we got rerouted to MIA with a hotel in Ft Lauderdale sailing out of Port of Everglades. Taxi for 2 was $75. Will easily be that today.

Here would be my question: why not fly to MIA instead of FLL? Factor in the cost of ticket variance with the cost of taxi to determine best move.

Good luck

12 years ago we got rerouted to MIA with a hotel in Ft Lauderdale sailing out of Port of Everglades. Taxi for 2 was $75. Will easily be that today.

Here would be my question: why not fly to MIA instead of FLL? Factor in the cost of ticket variance with the cost of taxi to determine best move.

Good luck

Southwest is why we are flying into FLL. Southwest had the best times and fares and no charge for checked baggage will pretty much pay for the taxi.

Can you fit 5 plus bags (and do not forget the driver :rolleyes:) into a taxi van? :confused: Not if any in your group packs like my wife! :o

Taxi van from FLL to MIA area hotels (not sure why you would choose to stay there, but that is another thread ;)) will cost about $75+

You could look at one-way van/SUV rentals from FLL to MIA -- National, Alamo & Thrifty offer free shuttles from their MIA location to POM.

You can ride the shuttle to the FLL Tri-Rail station, ride the train for under $5 each to the MIA station, and then use the hotel shuttle to get to your MIA hotel -- you'd save about $50 but the hassle could outweigh the savings.

http://www.tri-rail.com/

Can you fit 5 plus bags (and do not forget the driver :rolleyes:) into a taxi van? :confused: Not if any in your group packs like my wife! :o

Taxi van from FLL to MIA area hotels (not sure why you would choose to stay there, but that is another thread ;)) will cost about $75+

You could look at one-way van/SUV rentals from FLL to MIA -- National, Alamo & Thrifty offer free shuttles from their MIA location to POM.

You can ride the shuttle to the FLL Tri-Rail station, ride the train for under $5 each to the MIA station, and then use the hotel shuttle to get to your MIA hotel -- you'd save about $50 but the hassle could outweigh the savings.

http://www.tri-rail.com/

I noted in my original post that we are staying near MIA because we are meeting other people who fly into MIA and we are using points for the rooms. The Embassy Suites MIA works best for us despite the location.

I get the concept of renting a car. We did that pre cruise one time when we had an early arrival the day before our cruise and stayed on South Beach. I've also done it pre cruise in Tampa so we could stay on Clearwater Beach. And pre cruise flying into Orlando when we sailed out of Port Canaveral.

We just need to get from FLL to the hotel, so I'm not interested in toting bags to the rental car area, driving to the hotel to drop off others with the luggage then returning the car to MIA and getting a shuttle back to the hotel. That sounds like a lot of work and time to save 40 or 50 bucks. So, if I think that's a lot of work I am certainly not going to drag the 5 of us on shuttles to and from a train, etc.

The only purpose of my question was to eliminate conflicting info I read on trip advisor that said we could not guarantee a taxi van at FLL. It did not sound right and the replies I received here indicate we won't have a problem, so thank you all for your replies

The only purpose of my question was to eliminate conflicting info I read on trip advisor that said we could not guarantee a taxi van at FLL. It did not sound right and the replies I received here indicate we won't have a problem, so thank you all for your replies

Lots of van cabs in the taxi line at FLL - just wait for the next one to arrive. You might also consider Uber XL - usually better service for less $$

• 3 weeks later...

Just to follow up, we ended up using Uber XL. It was my first time using Uber and I was very impressed. The fare from FLL to the Embassy Suites Miami airport was $85, but that included a 10 minute stop for us to pick up food and drink to take to the hotel. The driver kept in touch by text and it was very easy for him to find us in the pick up area.

For the return to FLL after the cruise I reserved ahead with SAS. There were 7 of us and the charge was $13 per person. SAS was very efficient and I would use them again.

I am not sure if this is always the case at Port of Miami, but there were plenty of taxis and shuttles looking for business. I wonder if it's really necessary to even book ahead for a shuttle or if it would be better to just catch one that is waiting and ready to go.

Just to follow up, we ended up using Uber XL. It was my first time using Uber and I was very impressed. The fare from FLL to the Embassy Suites Miami airport was $85, but that included a 10 minute stop for us to pick up food and drink to take to the hotel. The driver kept in touch by text and it was very easy for him to find us in the pick up area.

For the return to FLL after the cruise I reserved ahead with SAS. There were 7 of us and the charge was $13 per person. SAS was very efficient and I would use them again.

I am not sure if this is always the case at Port of Miami, but there were plenty of taxis and shuttles looking for business. I wonder if it's really necessary to even book ahead for a shuttle or if it would be better to just catch one that is waiting and ready to go.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

With your group booking ahead made sense; same thing for a group of 2-3 who do not want to pay $80+ for a taxi. Those shuttles at POM "trolling" for customers do not have the best reputation for customer service. :eek:

Thanks for the feedback! :)

With your group booking ahead made sense; same thing for a group of 2-3 who do not want to pay $80+ for a taxi. Those shuttles at POM "trolling" for customers do not have the best reputation for customer service. :eek:

Now I am laughing at my naivety thinking those trollers would provide the same service as recommended companies. We also had a guy approach us in the baggage area at FLL offering to give us a ride. That was a little creepy as he had no uniform or anything to ID his business name.

Also I looked at my Uber receipt and the actual charge was $82. I had a $22 promo code, so $60 was charged to my credit card. And as I said that included some charge for waiting as we made a stop.

Thank You for the update we are flying into FLL on a Friday at 3:05 so to late for any of the shuttles they stop at 3:00. Can I ask what time did you do your uber? and where did you meet them?

Thanks

Thank You for the update we are flying into FLL on a Friday at 3:05 so to late for any of the shuttles they stop at 3:00. Can I ask what time did you do your uber? and where did you meet them?

Thanks

We got in at 6pm. The driver texted to ask me where we were. We happened to walk out right in front of the taxi stand, so it was easy to describe our location. Just make sure you know what terminal you are arriving at. When I responded he gave me the description of his vehicle. It was very easy. There was lots of congestion, so Uber estimated the driver would be there in 3 minutes and it was probably 10. We could see traffic was backed up, so we just waited patiently.

Great to know the driver can pick up at any passenger pick up location.

I would assume 3 pm would be a similar price or a little less than 6 pm traffic and all. We need a XL because we are 4 people with luggage

Great to know the driver can pick up at any passenger pick up location.

I would assume 3 pm would be a similar price or a little less than 6 pm traffic and all. We need a XL because we are 4 people with luggage

I checked Uber for availability at FLL several times starting a few days before our trip. In my limited search uber xl seemed more often available than a smaller car. Makes sense that drivers would understand that many people at the airport need a bigger vehicle.

I never used Uber before. If you are a similar Uber newbie google Uber promo codes and you will likely find one that will give you a discount on your first ride. Mine was $20.

Unfortunately I already used Uber on a girls trip to San Diego. Maybe set up a account for DH that's a good idea.

I loved it, so much easier than I ever thought. Even got lost, walked thru a homeless encampment got to a intersection we felt safe and called Uber to pick us up. We where like 8 blocks from our hotel sure the guy hated the short trip but I was never so happy for Uber.