1st P&O cruise OCEANA

choc56uk

This was our first P&O cruise OCEANA

BEEN ON ROYAL C

HOLLAND AMERICA and PRINCESS

we sailed 6th April Genoa

As agreed in other reports the ship looks tired in some areas there are rusts

There was during the week extensive maintainence work being carried out on the promenade deck Scrubbing ..... Drilling ..... Painting etc

Our large ocean view C702 was good

Comfy bed Clean sheets clean towels every day cabin steward very nice

Lift access was very good

We had freedom dining ... We hardly sed the plaza buffet we thought at lunch and dinner it was of poor standard

Breakfast was ok in the MDR

Some of the service was not upto much just usual standard nothing special like on other ships

Some of the choices on the menu we thought of poor standard

I had green beans on my dinner plate the first 3 nights

Never saw any carrots

Mainly broccoli courgette etc

Now me being a chef is sometimes a pain as I can become very critical

I am no way a snob but do enjoy good good

And this food did not wow me at all the whole week I have eaten in 3/4 star hotels better ..... But u always expect cruise food to be of a higher standard

I did chat with the executive manager for hospitality and is taking comments and dealing with it

We dined in Jardin once ..... Thought it was below standard

We enjoyed THE BEACH HOUSE. And used this 3 times !!!!! Food was excellent

Service was impeccable

We did enjoy being on the ship but will probably not return unless it's a cheap deal just to get to destinations we want to visit

We did not see any shows but had heard mixed reviews to being poor to good

We just used some of the bars to relax in

We enjoyed Al & chris the duo who we thought were the best on board

We paid 700£ each for this and think it was only worth £500 each

The bar drinks and wine prices were good

We did not buy any photos this time which is a first but they were 11.80 each

Our photos we viewed did not look nice

Other guests we spoke to -:

Some said the ship has gone down hill and food is not as nice

Others we met whom it was there first cruise ever ..... Thought it was wonderful and good value

Oh and on the last day for lunch in the MDR ... One of the choices was braised f a g g o t OMG OMG !!!!! Yes can buy a box of those for £1.00 in Sainsburys ...... What on earth do they think they are doing ..... Yes steak was on most night and that's what diners were choosing

So you can't please everyone .....

Edited by choc56uk

We've done quite a lot of P&O cruises including quite a number on Oceana. We thought the food we had in Feb / march on her was very disappointing - agree whole-heartedly with your comments about MDR, Buffet and The Beach House. However we liked Cafe Jardin, although even there we had one disappointing lunch. Like you we spent most evening listening to the duo but in our case Protocol .We did go to see some acts in the theatre which we'd enjoyed a lot, but they were some we'd seen before or we'd heard about from friends.

Edited by tartanexile81

We got off Oceana on the 6th April. We have to agree about some of the rust issues, but they were working on fixing things. As for the food, we were pleasantly surprised as to how good the fish dishes were in the MDR. Normally fish can be dry and not nice - every fish dish we had was moist and nicely cooked (and we did see some carrots!).

My Beef Wellington on formal night was superb - rare as ordered and crispy pastry. Generally the food was good - as was the service. We would certainly sail with P&O again.

Edited by SteveH2508

We were on Oceana just over a year ago and will be on her again in two weeks. I'll post a report when we get back. This will be our 5th cruise on Oceana and I fully expect that this cruise will be as enjoyable as our previous ones - we've never had poor food or service on her so far. We often use Cafe Jardin for breakfast and occasionally for lunch so it will be interesting to see what it's like at present.

so after much searching for cruises that are around the Croatian coast .... And of course prices and date schedule.... We have re booked Oceana for 18th May next yr

So it couldn't have been all that bad eh ?

We already have a RC cruise booked for August 2017 so it all had to do with timing etc ....

This cruise with the destinations seems ideal ... And the price is right x :)

It sounds as though your Oceana experience wasn't as positive as ours the following week, but it's nice to see you've booked again for next year - we're looking at similar itineraries but haven't booked anything yet.

If we do book on Oceana again, we'll definitely try the Beach House, as we didn't go this time, and your review has convinced me we should have tried it!

Thank you for your review .... we are cruising on Oceana in just over 3 weeks now. Will definitely be dining in the Beach House as menu looks great, will also try the Cafe Jardin. Really looking forward to it now. :D:D

Don't tell anyone but cafe Jardin is very good for breakfast if you want an alternative to the normal buffet or MDR.

But keep it quiet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Don't tell anyone but cafe Jardin is very good for breakfast if you want an alternative to the normal buffet or MDR.

But keep it quiet.

Thank you ...that is good to know. My hubby and I clash with our breakfast requirements - I prefer fruit and danish / croissants whereas he is a traditional full English addict. I also need a decent latte ... so I imagine we will be giving all venues a try at some point.

Do you know what Cafe Jardin has to offer on breakfast menu ?

Thank you ...that is good to know. My hubby and I clash with our breakfast requirements - I prefer fruit and danish / croissants whereas he is a traditional full English addict. I also need a decent latte ... so I imagine we will be giving all venues a try at some point.

Do you know what Cafe Jardin has to offer on breakfast menu ?

Cafe Jardin won't suit your husband TotallyAngelic. We never eat breakfast there because they don't do much in the way of cooked food in the morning, certainly nothing resembling what my husband would call a full English :(.

The main dining room (Ligurian when we were on Oceana recently) is usually open till 9.30 on sea days and around 9:00 on port days. You can still get a cooked breakfast in the buffet after the dining room closes

Cafe Jardin won't suit your husband TotallyAngelic. We never eat breakfast there because they don't do much in the way of cooked food in the morning, certainly nothing resembling what my husband would call a full English :(.

The main dining room (Ligurian when we were on Oceana recently) is usually open till 9.30 on sea days and around 9:00 on port days. You can still get a cooked breakfast in the buffet after the dining room closes

Thank you ... good to know ( I wont tell him ;) )

Do you know what they serve in Cafe Jardin for brekky ?

Thank you ... good to know ( I wont tell him ;) )

Do you know what they serve in Cafe Jardin for brekky ?

Cereal fruit yoghurt and the likes with one or two hot items which are served to you like sausage or bacon panini.

Correct about the full English, nothing like that at all.

We really like Cafe Jardin for breakfast but please don't tell everyone about it! It's so much nicer than the buffet - I hate buffets - and not as formal as the restaurant. I'll probably have to put up with the buffet a couple of times as my husband likes the hot choice but I wish they would serve decent coffee! The last time I was on Oceana the coffee in Cafe Jardin was really good.

We really like Cafe Jardin for breakfast but please don't tell everyone about it! It's so much nicer than the buffet - I hate buffets - and not as formal as the restaurant. I'll probably have to put up with the buffet a couple of times as my husband likes the hot choice but I wish they would serve decent coffee! The last time I was on Oceana the coffee in Cafe Jardin was really good.

What we plan to do ( if we can ) is buy a coffee in Costa and take it to where we plan to have breakfast. We ended up doing that on Disney and Royal Caribbean ( not Costa actually but they both had a specialty coffee establishment ) and it was fine. I really don't like filter coffee so hopefully I can grab a latte and be a happy bunny :D:D