Jewel advice please

LUVNICK

On the Jewel Great Outdoors grill for breakfast and snacks otherwise, excellent Garden Cafe buffet, Spinnaker Lounge, bridge viewing room all the way forward deck 11 port side, Sugarcane bar (mojitos) at entrance to Modernos. Very nice ship with very nice crew.

We sailed her on our 15th cruise. I must confess, it was the best entertainment that we have had. The ship and crew were great. Loved breakfast in the Great Outdoors. If you don't have a great trip you are too picky.

We just got off the ship yesterday. I will do a bigger review but here are some random thoughts.

1. The cruising from LA to Cabo and the last 2 days at sea were COLD.....and we are from the Great Lakes! The balcony and outside areas were really chilly and windy (of course!) Sun loungers were mostly left stacked and unused.

2. The cruisers were really good. Much different crowd than the Miami departures. Lots of Asians who are wonderful.

3. The magic show by JP was insanely funny - don't miss it.

4. As mentioned, you MUST catch Randon who performs acoustic music including a great set listed on the Daily as a James Taylor tribute. Fantastic voice!

5. The staff was fantastic. Kenneth the hotel director is very involved and always walking around to be sure things are going well. He's a very nice guy if you get the chance to talk to him.

6. If you decide to do Japanese Tepanaki be prepared for a LOUD dinner. It was quite a turn-off for me because there were 4 chefs in a smallish room all yelling to be heard. Food was good. AVOID the green tea cake / ice cream.

7. If your a person who likes quiet spaces, check out the Spinnaker room. If you go, please use your inside voice. It's amazing how all the people inside were very quiet then a couple or group would come in who must be raised in a stamping plant since their conversations are so freaking disturbingly loud! There are some super comfy chairs and couches.

8. The library room was impressive! lots of books which you can check-out.

9. The snorkeling in Cabo was decent but the water was chilly and when we went to the Santa Maria cove it was packed with other swimmers and boats. Not worth it for me.

10. Buy some leather sandals in Maz. They tend to fit wider feet so you may need to try some on for a good fit. Plan to spend $12-$17 per hand-crafted pair.

11. No need to exchange money - but do have lots of smaller bills since we had trouble getting change when paying with $20's.

12. In PV you must check out the coffee bean paintings. They are amazing. The artist is right on the board walk and very close to where the taxi's drop off cruise ship people.

13. Lunch or dinner in Maz and PV will be very cheap and very good.

14. Bring a phone or calculator to easily convert pesos to USD. Shops will offer this too but it's nice to know without asking. Also, be prepared to change your clocks OFTEN! Every day going south you will gain an hour and going back you loose an hour each day. Luckily my watch made it easy.

Enjoy your trip! It's a fantastic ship and crew.

Edited by mikeyd

Hotel Director is Steven Jacobsen an American from Wisconsin.

Captain: Kenneth Harstrom- from Sweden, I think

Restaurant Manager: Noel Chaves from India

Food and Beverage Director: Mohammad Hasan- from Indonesia

Can not to sail once again with these people in October.

Have a great cruise.

Hotel Director is Steven Jacobsen an American from Wisconsin.

Captain: Kenneth Harstrom- from Sweden, I think

Have a great cruise.

Thanks for the correction! It's Steven, not Kenneth for the Hotel Director.

Also, forgot to mention, the embarkation process was a joy! We had 12.30-1pm as our assigned time and were inside the ship within 15 minutes of entering the building. Don't arrive or try to get in early - they will make you wait for your assigned time.

Jewel us a great ship. We sailed on her to Alaska last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@BirdTravels - did you do a review of your experience on the Jewel to Alaska last year?

We're going in July & would appreciate any feedback.

If yes, can you post a link to it please?

Thanks

@BirdTravels - did you do a review of your experience on the Jewel to Alaska last year?

We're going in July & would appreciate any feedback.

If yes, can you post a link to it please?

Thanks

Did a quick review. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=510360

Alaska is one of our favorite destinations. Second time there. First time was on Princess. We went on July 4th last year. It was a tiny bit early. The salmon and bears were not very active.

Did a quick review. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=510360

Alaska is one of our favorite destinations. Second time there. First time was on Princess. We went on July 4th last year. It was a tiny bit early. The salmon and bears were not very active.

Thank you for your review! Nothing little about the details in that review!

Nice Room too!

We're going on next to last week in July.

Edited by OV8