Allure Report - 16 Months in the Making

Day 6 - Sea Day

The next day was a sea day, which was the best since we could just enjoy the ship. We decided to try the Solarium Bistro again for breakfast which was quite nice and not too busy. It was the only time we could go to the Solarium when our kids were with us. The restaurant is in the inside of the Solarium, enclosed in glass, but we could peak to see a bit of the Solarium area. It did seem peaceful and relaxing.

After breakfast we headed towards the Zipline and Flowrider area. I love this view from above on deck 15 looking down at the Boardwalk.

IMG_0544%20Medium_zpshurdjfow.jpg

The Zipline and boogie board FlowRider both opened at 9am so we headed there. As a reminder, this is the best time to go. This morning I was wearing my GoWalks shoes (which are slip-ons), but the Zipline does have shoes they lend you so it wasn't an issue. Our DS and I went on the Zipline a few times. After that, our DS went on the Flowrider a few times. Again, barely any lines.

For the rest of the morning, we were at the pool area. We went to the H20 Zone area for awhile and then headed to the beach pool and the hot tubs.

There was a 1pm Belly Flop contest showing in the cruise compass that we wanted to attend so we timed things accordingly. We checked out the Solarium for lunch, but there was nothing there that my DS liked, so we went to the Windjammer. It was busy but manageable (again, as long as you can grab a table, you're fine). DH and our kids got a plate. I may be one of the few but I didn't love the buffet for lunch. There were not enough cold items as I'm not a fan of hot foods for lunch (and not a ton of non-meat options). Oh and as Murphy's Law goes, we were short on time at this point (if we wanted to make the Belly Flop contest) and of course, this is the time that DD spills her drink all over her tray and so then we had to run out again and get her a new plate of food. We ate quickly and headed over.

When done, we headed over to the Aqua theatre for the show. Along the way at the Boardwalk we bumped into King Julien.

King%20Julien_zpsxll5v0n7.png

The Aqua theatre was full so we stood on the side (it was also hot and we didn't want to sit right in the sun). The show is quite funny and I recommend seeing it if you can. The passengers that volunteer are certainly brave souls. First, I would never want to stand up in a bathing suit in front of everyone (Dh is probably laughing at this knowing how modest I am). And second, when you think about it, they are competing for who can create the most pain. I mean, the perfect belly flop must really hurt, right? The cruise director, Dru "something" was grading each contestant and that was funny in itself (I won't spoil it by describing it). If you ask my son what was your favorite show on the ship, he'll respond The Belly Flop Contest, which is ironic since that this isn't even performed by Royal people.

Is Tea included in the drinks available, or will I need to buy a drink package

Is Tea included in the drinks available, or will I need to buy a drink package

Yes, you can get tea at various complimentary places. I wasn't paying too much attention but I do in particular remember seeing many different tea bags (i.e. different flavors) at Café Promenade.

Day 6 - Sea Day (continued)

After the Belly Flop contest we headed to the rock wall. On the way, DH and I decided to get a fun drink. For anyone that likes sweet drinks, I highly recommend the Pina Coladas. Super yummy. With our drinks in hand we just relaxed while our kids climbed up the wall. I'm still amazed that they can get up that far on the rock wall. I never tried it, but don't think I would have passed the 3rd step.

We checked the compass and there was a Cartoon Trivia event. This didn't interest our daughter but DS wanted to go, so DH and DD hung out and DS and I went to On Air for some trivia. They basically showed pictures of different cartoon characters (from different eras) and you had to write down the name. Final score was taken at the end. This time, others showed up for the event so we didn't win (but if they had a prize for the lowest number of points, then we probably would have won…lol). Alex the Lion (from Madagascar) was outside On Air for a meet and greet and during a lull of visitors, he came into the event. It was nice seeing him interactive. After the show, he was still outside so DS said hello and got a picture. Later our kids also got to meet Gronkle from How to Train Your Dragon. It was great how easy it was to get pictures of the characters without long lines.

Alex_zpsh3fevdit.jpg

Yes, you can get tea at various complimentary places. I wasn't paying too much attention but I do in particular remember seeing many different tea bags (i.e. different flavors) at Café Promenade.

LUCruise, thanks for the information, enjoying your reviews

LUCruise: Do you remember if your cabin door was metal, for those of us who want to decorate our door.

Hi Peggy. I can't say for sure about the doors, but I do remember seeing some doors decorated. Good idea to easily identify your room. ;)

Hi Peggy. I can't say for sure about the doors, but I do remember seeing some doors decorated. Good idea to easily identify your room. ;)

Thanks, does anyone else know for sure

Day 6 - Sea Day (continued)

My son returned to the zipline to once again. It was his number one activity on the Allure. It’s amazing how much fun you can have in such a short time. Funny too how much longer it takes to get geared up compared to the ride time. It’s good when the line is short and so you can just keep yourself attached to the stuff and go again and again.

Tonight was formal night again, and the second one is lobster night. I’m not even the biggest fan of lobster but felt like I should order it. I’m pretty sure that our server, who always gave us extra meals and desserts, put a double portion of lobster on my plate.

That evening DH and I had the comedy show booked but since our kids didn’t end up using the kids club at all, I stayed with them and DH went to the show (i.e. the show is 18+ years). DH said the first act was pretty good, but the second not as good and think he left early.

The compass listed that there was a fountain show on tonight followed by The Good Dinosaur movie at the Aqua theatre. We had all seen the movie before but it’s quite cute (and a bit of a tear jerker). I found it ironic that Royal was playing a Disney movie. The fountain show was quite beautiful and I recommend trying to catch it if you can. I think I noticed it played another time during the week too.

A few pictures from the show

IMG_0560%20Medium_zps6l6xfuc6.jpg

IMG_0559%20Medium_zps4xmo83hj.jpg

Tip: If you're like me and get cold easily, I'd bring a sweater or something to cover up for any night time shows at the Aqua theatre (at least this time of year). It did get a bit chilly. For us, we didn't feel like going back to our room again so before DH went off to the comedy show he ran up to deck 15 and checked out a couple pool towels. These worked ok as blankets.

Edited by LuCruise

Really enjoying your review! We are going on Allure this month. Did you purchase any photos or photo packages on the ship? Last time we purchased a photo package before the trip, but for some reason that option doesn't seem to be available for our sailing. If you recall any of the photo package prices, please let me know. Thanks!

Day 7 - Sea Day

It’s our last day today. You know you have the full day ahead but you also feel sad as the cruise is coming to an end. Guess that’s a good thing though since it means we’re having an amazing time and don’t want to go home (returning to reality of work and chores).

We thought that a nice way to end the cruise would be to attend the DreamWorks Character breakfast. I had read mixed reviews on here (probably since it used to be free and now they charge a small fee), but I was still optimistic. Our kids quite enjoyed the character meals at Disney World and this should be similar. At this one, it would be a surprise which characters would show up.

Our breakfast was scheduled for 8am, but we were to be there by 7:45am. We were seated right on time and given a menu. It’s apparently the same menu items as the rest of the MDR, but the menu was really cute and creative…all DreamWorks themed from the different movies.

IMG_0566%20Medium_zpsvwhn5whn.jpg

And a close up of one of the sections to get an idea

IMG_0563%20Medium_zpskzjiz77d.jpg

Aside from coffee...which is a morning requirement...you can order hot chocolate or chocolate milkshake (which really was just chocolate milk with some bubbles on top). Our DD got the hot chocolate and the rest of us ordered the chocolate milkshake. It’s nice to feel like a kid again. ;)

After a bit they announced that there would be 3 “special” guest. First to come out were 2 penguins from Madagascar. (I forget which ones but my DS can easily identify them). Then shortly afterwards Mort from Madagascar also came out. He’s not a main character, but is very cute. They walked around to the tables and you could get your pictures taken with them. They're not as interactive as Disney characters, but it was still well done and we didn't feel rushed or anything. After the characters had reached every table, they left the room.

I thought that would be our 3 characters (2 penguins plus 1 Mort = 3), but then they announced that there was one more visitor….and Kung Fu Panda walked in. He is too big to fit between the tables so they had each of us come up to him.

Excuse the edited version but here’s a picture of our breakfast friends.

CharacterBreakfast2_zpsamyjl9sd.png

We quite enjoyed the breakfast and if you have kids, I do recommend it...even for the small fee, it's a nice family friendly addition to the cruise.

Edited by LuCruise

Really enjoying your review! We are going on Allure this month. Did you purchase any photos or photo packages on the ship? Last time we purchased a photo package before the trip, but for some reason that option doesn't seem to be available for our sailing. If you recall any of the photo package prices, please let me know. Thanks!

There is a photo area where you can go and view any pictures that were taken of you. We had quite a few taken (and some nice ones), but we found it quite pricey...even for the smallest package Don't remember the numbers offhand (maybe close to $200?). You could also purchase individual for something like $15 each...again don't remember the amount offhand. I had taken tons of pictures from our own camera so it wasn't worth it for us.

We were on the same sailing as LuCruise and we bought a 10 digital picture package for $175.00. I think they also offered 15 digital pics for around $225.00. The more digital pictures you bought the lower the price per picture. Your pictures are loaded onto a thumb/jump drive that you carry off the ship with you. Once you buy the digital pics you own the copyright to them. They also sold individual printed pictures for $20 a piece.

Pictures are very important to our family and I usually create a Shutterfly book to commemorate our trips so owning the digital pictures is a big deal for me.

Also, don't worry about buying the picture package ahead of time, the price offered on the ship was the exact same price I pre-paid.

We were on the same sailing as LuCruise and we bought a 10 digital picture package for $175.00. I think they also offered 15 digital pics for around $225.00. The more digital pictures you bought the lower the price per picture. Your pictures are loaded onto a thumb/jump drive that you carry off the ship with you. Once you buy the digital pics you own the copyright to them. They also sold individual printed pictures for $20 a piece.

Pictures are very important to our family and I usually create a Shutterfly book to commemorate our trips so owning the digital pictures is a big deal for me.

Also, don't worry about buying the picture package ahead of time, the price offered on the ship was the exact same price I pre-paid.

Thanks for posting the prices. Those numbers sound familiar, and good to know that that the cost is the same if you pre-buy or wait.

Us too...I love pictures and will be making a photo book of our cruise. if I hadn't taken so many myself then we would have splurged and bought the package.

LuCruise, we are sailing on Allure in about a month and absolutely can not wait!! I love your review and summary of your experience. Thanks for sharing!!

Edited by Marmurph

Day 7 - Sea Day

It’s our last day today. You know you have the full day ahead but you also feel sad as the cruise is coming to an end. Guess that’s a good thing though since it means we’re having an amazing time and don’t want to go home (returning to reality of work and chores).

We thought that a nice way to end the cruise would be to attend the DreamWorks Character breakfast. I had read mixed reviews on here (probably since it used to be free and now they charge a small fee), but I was still optimistic. Our kids quite enjoyed the character meals at Disney World and this should be similar. At this one, it would be a surprise which characters would show up.

Our breakfast was scheduled for 8am, but we were to be there by 7:45am. We were seated right on time and given a menu. It’s apparently the same menu items as the rest of the MDR, but the menu was really cute and creative…all DreamWorks themed from the different movies.

IMG_0566%20Medium_zpsvwhn5whn.jpg

And a close up of one of the sections to get an idea

IMG_0563%20Medium_zpskzjiz77d.jpg

Aside from coffee...which is a morning requirement...you can order hot chocolate or chocolate milkshake (which really was just chocolate milk with some bubbles on top). Our DD got the hot chocolate and the rest of us ordered the chocolate milkshake. It’s nice to feel like a kid again. ;)

After a bit they announced that there would be 3 “special” guest. First to come out were 2 penguins from Madagascar. (I forget which ones but my DS can easily identify them). Then shortly afterwards Mort from Madagascar also came out. He’s not a main character, but is very cute. They walked around to the tables and you could get your pictures taken with them. They're not as interactive as Disney characters, but it was still well done and we didn't feel rushed or anything. After the characters had reached every table, they left the room.

I thought that would be our 3 characters (2 penguins plus 1 Mort = 3), but then they announced that there was one more visitor….and Kung Fu Panda walked in. He is too big to fit between the tables so they had each of us come up to him.

Excuse the edited version but here’s a picture of our breakfast friends.

CharacterBreakfast2_zpsamyjl9sd.png

We quite enjoyed the breakfast and if you have kids, I do recommend it...even for the small fee, it's a nice family friendly addition to the cruise.

My "kid" is 19, but we are still going to do this on Allure at the end of the month. Looking forward to it. Thank you for the great preview(for us)/review!

LuCruise, we are sailing on Allure in about a month and absolutely can not wait!! I love your review and summary of your experience. Thanks for sharing!!

Ship is amazing! Happy to be sharing. Thanks for reading.

My "kid" is 19, but we are still going to do this on Allure at the end of the month. Looking forward to it. Thank you for the great preview(for us)/review!

The thing about Allure is that is is for everyone....and 19 is a perfect age. My son wasn't tall enough to try the stand up FlowRider but the one is allocated for boogie version, and one for stand up. And the shows are for all ages. Enjoy your cruise.

Day 7 - Sea Day (continued)

After breakfast we explored and headed to the Promenade. This seems to be our default roaming spot after meal in the MDR. There was something in the compass called "Fun Dance Class". My DD likes dancing but is shy, but thought it would be fun to give it a try. DH and DS went to the other end to look at the t-shirts and watches. DS complained of this activity since "why shop when there are so many more interesting and fun things to do?". But it was that or hang out with DD and I at the dance, so he went with DH. DD and I started the dance but then stopped once DH and DS returned (I'm shy too and don't like an audience).

We then headed upstairs to the photo center to take a look at our pictures. There were quite a few taken over the cruise and there were some nice ones, but we saw the price for the smallest package (and even individual cost) and so didn't buy anything. I had taken lots of pictures over the cruise so we had tons of moments captured (didn't even realize until we got home that I had taken over 400).

We decided to check out the Boardwalk. The donuts called our name again as we walked by. Our kids had super rich waffles with chocolate sauce and caramel sauce so they skipped it, but DH and I shared one since we still required a sugar fix. Very hard to resist. They're not even the freshest donuts, but hey, they're free. There was a captain's corner event at the Aqua theatre that was interesting as he and the crew answered questions. We didn't stay too long though since it was only so long that it kept our kids interest.

I think at that point we returned to our cabin to change into our swim suits and then returned to the Aqua Theatre as there was a DreamWorks show called Let You Entertain Me. Our kids were braver than DH and I and wanted to sit in the splash zone so they took a spot upfront while DH and I found a "dryer" seat back in the shade. The show was cute with King Julien wanting to be entertained by the other characters. It also had neat acrobatics and diving similar to the Aqua show. What was neat about the show is that you got to see the tricks in how the stage turns to a pool and back to a stage (as it would only fill up about 30cm or so). Here are some pictures

IMG_0600%20Medium_zpssuzezxtp.jpg

IMG_0602%20Medium_zps2lfbzxym.jpg

You can see in the last picture, that the stage is lowered slightly and the water starts to fill up.

IMG_0599%20Medium_zpsnccz68a6.jpg

Edited by LuCruise