Bringing alcohol on board

We enjoy a G&T on the balcony of an evening and wonder what Thomson's policy is for bring your own bottle with you. Other than that is is possible to purchase bottles on board?

Bring your own on board but it must be drunk in your cabin only - although we have seen some sad skinflints sneaking miniatures into the bars and just ordering a soft drink to use as a mixer.

If you have the A.I. drinks package just get a drink from the bar and take it down to your cabin - you will see many people doing this pre-dinner.

Edited by campolady

Thanks for the information. We are AI but if want a top up I don't want to have to traipse all the way from my aft balcony to the nearest bar for one. I'd probably spill most of it on the way back, and don't they charge you for the tonic whether you're AI or not? I'm hoping they keep the fridges in the cabins on Splendour so that I can pop my bottles of tonic in there.

Thanks for the information. We are AI but if want a top up I don't want to have to traipse all the way from my aft balcony to the nearest bar for one. I'd probably spill most of it on the way back, and don't they charge you for the tonic whether you're AI or not? I'm hoping they keep the fridges in the cabins on Splendour so that I can pop my bottles of tonic in there.

Last time I was on Thomson the tonic was free :)

I suggest you purchase a bottle of gin from duty free - it's usually 10% (or thereabouts) cheaper on the first full day of the cruise.

The cabin steward will fill your ice bucket on request - and you can liberate slices of lemon from the self service eating area, they are beside the tea making facilities.

I'm not sure if the barman will give you unopened tonic cans away from the bar - but they should be free on AI.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

We are looking into the possibility of trying a Thomson cruise and having read the posts here about bringing alcohol on board, I am a little confused. This is what I have just read on the FAQ on the Thomson website:

Can customers bring their own alcohol on the ship?

On your flight and once onboard our ships, you can only drink the alcohol that staff serve you. During embarkation, we have the right to search luggage and hold any alcohol that we believe has not been purchased on your flight - please retain your proof of purchase. Any alcohol that is not permitted onboard will be returned to you on your departure.

Are you all saying that this policy is not adhered to? Just wondering....

I can only give you our experiences over the past twelve years cruising with Thomson and that is I have never had anything taken off me, to be honest we don't take that much on board, especially when in the Caribbean as its so cheap to buy on board but in ports like GiB it just has to be done, in the past I have asked it its OK to bring it on board and they have always said yes. This probably is not helpful but this is how it works for us even if we don't have the drinks package.

Hello everyone,

We are looking into the possibility of trying a Thomson cruise and having read the posts here about bringing alcohol on board, I am a little confused. This is what I have just read on the FAQ on the Thomson website:

Can customers bring their own alcohol on the ship?

On your flight and once onboard our ships, you can only drink the alcohol that staff serve you. During embarkation, we have the right to search luggage and hold any alcohol that we believe has not been purchased on your flight - please retain your proof of purchase. Any alcohol that is not permitted onboard will be returned to you on your departure.

Are you all saying that this policy is not adhered to? Just wondering....

Never seen that before :eek: Of course it is not clear as it implies you can't even drink alchohol you have bought on the flight unless it is served to you by e member of staff, even in your cabin :D

as I don't need to bring booze aboard, it does not bother me :)

Edited by davecttr

The wording is as stated above in the current brochure, but says outside of your ship cabin once on board, so it would appear that they are ok with you drinking it in your cabin.

Hope they don't start taking bottles bought ashore off you though as we buy bottles of beer for the cabin, and Thomson's have had no problem with that in the past, unlike Fred where we cannot take bottles back.

Edited by gillhalfpint

May 16 - April 17 brochure -- p236. During embarkation we have the right to search luggage and hold any alcohol that we believe has not been purchased on your flight - please retain your proof of purchase. Any alcohol that is not permitted on board will be returned to you on your departure. During your flight and once on board our ships, you can only drink the alcohol that staff serve you.

November 16 - October 17 brochure p 243.

During your flight with usand outside of your ship cabin once on board, you can only drink alcohol that staff serve you. During embarkation we have the right to search luggage and hold any alcohol that we believe has not been purchased on your flight. We'll only do so if we think it's necessary, but please retain your proof of purchase just in case. Any alcohol that is not permitted on board will be returned to you on your departure.

Gill

Bring your own on board but it must be drunk in your cabin only - although we have seen some sad skinflints sneaking miniatures into the bars and just ordering a soft drink to use as a mixer.

Can't these people see they are just forcing up the prices of cruises. Thomson aren't expensive for the drinks in the first place whether they are part of a drinks package or pay as you go.Hope these sad'os get caught out.

Not long back from Majesty on "Mediterranean Medley" - when I studied the itinerary prior to booking I knew the duty free shop would not be open (all ports visited in EU) so we visited the big Carrefour supermarket and bought a bottle of gin and a few beers for the cabin.

The security staff onboard were not interested in the booze and my packpack was quickly screened and passed through.

For anybody interested in stocking up in Palma - walk out of the port and across the pedestrian crossing over the main drag dual carriageway and turn left, walking away from the city - after about 10-15 minutes there is a large shopping mall, in the basement there is the huge Carrefour with cheap prices for a good selection of self inflicted falling down liquids.

• 1 year later...

On the Discovery nearly all drinks are free so there is no need to bring any alcohol on board. As soon as we boarded the ship we saw a constant stream of people walking (swaying) back to their rooms with a drink in their hand.