Couple of Booking Questions

MightyQuinn

It's been a while since we sailed PG and I'm unsure of a few things.

Last time we booked our cruises with included LAX air but this time we may do our own flights. Can we make the initial booking with air and then have it removed if we decide later to make our own arrangements? Is there any time limit on making a request to remove included air and get the air credit?

This time we'd probably book direct with PG and then transfer to our TA at some later point. I know other cruise lines have time restrictions on when you can do such a transfer. How long does PG allow you to transfer a booking to a TA? Are there any other restrictions?

It's been a while since we sailed PG and I'm unsure of a few things.

Last time we booked our cruises with included LAX air but this time we may do our own flights. Can we make the initial booking with air and then have it removed if we decide later to make our own arrangements? Is there any time limit on making a request to remove included air and get the air credit?

This time we'd probably book direct with PG and then transfer to our TA at some later point. I know other cruise lines have time restrictions on when you can do such a transfer. How long does PG allow you to transfer a booking to a TA? Are there any other restrictions?

Mighty, you would be best off calling PG and asking these questions. They are specific to your situation and itinerary. There may be different parameters that apply for this itinerary compared to the usual FP itineraries.

I agree with Emdee that you should ask PG Cruises these questions. But I would say first that if you book without air, your deposit is smaller. So rather than include it and remove it, you might want to book without it, and add it back later. Start finding that TA now, then you can move the booking asap.

Have a look at the Air France schedule--they don't fly every day, so you have to work around their schedule, but they do provide a Premium Economy service, which to us is a very attractive alternative.

I agree with Emdee that you should ask PG Cruises these questions. But I would say first that if you book without air, your deposit is smaller. So rather than include it and remove it, you might want to book without it, and add it back later. Start finding that TA now, then you can move the booking asap.

Have a look at the Air France schedule--they don't fly every day, so you have to work around their schedule, but they do provide a Premium Economy service, which to us is a very attractive alternative.

Wendy would Air France be an alternative for Fiji and Bali? I don't think so. Mighty would have to fly to France from the Pacific Northwest and then to Bali. Not sure if they even go to Fiji. Far better to fly over the pacific via Tokyo, South Korea or Taiwan.

IMO. It really depends which program you are building points in. Since we are Star Alliance we usually fly those airlines unless we get a super special on AF or KLM. Even then on long haul flights it's sometimes better to bite the bullet and pay the extra amount in order to get the points. We tend to take the long view and it has paid off for us.

Thanks Emdee and Wendy. I certainly will call PG Cruises and ask these questions. I was hoping to get a jump on the answers by posting here. I expect the standard PG polices and practices on air credits and transfers to a TA would still apply, even though the itinerary we're considering is a bit different than usual.

Wendy I appreciate the tip about Air France and will keep in mind if we take another FP voyage. We vowed never to fly ATN again! If we decide on Fiji-Bali, we'll likely do our own air but we'll book with included air to give me some time to research flights. PG is having a promo right now with reduced deposits of $250 pp so it won't matter if we take the air out now or later.

Wendy would Air France be an alternative for Fiji and Bali? I don't think so. ...

No, of course not, you're right.

IMO. It really depends which program you are building points in. Since we are Star Alliance we usually fly those airlines unless we get a super special on AF or KLM....

We belong to three different air loyalty groups, alas. That's because of the type of "big trips" we've taken over the last five years--we have flown to Asia as well as Europe multiple times from the U.S., not Canada, and because we won't fly Coach over long distances, but really can't justify Business Class, so must find airlines with Premium Economy. We just can't stick with Star Alliance, so now the challenge is to try to best consolidate those points and use them. I had "spent" most of my Star Alliance points on our European trip which is now cancelled, so I have to find another way to use *those* points, sigh.

Will be amassing more Delta points on AF to FP this winter, soon perhaps I'll have enough to do something!

We belong to three different air loyalty groups, alas. That's because of the type of "big trips" we've taken over the last five years--we have flown to Asia as well as Europe multiple times from the U.S., not Canada, and because we won't fly Coach over long distances, but really can't justify Business Class, so must find airlines with Premium Economy. We just can't stick with Star Alliance, so now the challenge is to try to best consolidate those points and use them. I had "spent" most of my Star Alliance points on our European trip which is now cancelled, so I have to find another way to use *those* points, sigh.

Will be amassing more Delta points on AF to FP this winter, soon perhaps I'll have enough to do something!

If we find we are a bit short of points for biz flights we just buy some card or the other. It's not easy to stay with just one loyalty program but DD does a lot of research on this and I have to say we have taken over 60 trips to Europe or the Far East using points ....all in business or first class. Never waste points on North American travel and if we get good fares to Europe in business we hoard our points for better value. It's more than a science...it's an art.

I'll use miles to buy flights across N.A. I know it's not ideal, but it's still fairly cost-effective. Right now I'm looking at flights to a remote town in northern B.C. from Toronto at Christmas--if I could cadge these, it would be a nice saving.

We had great flights booked to Europe this fall, but had to cancel, so I've now got the miles to burn.

I heard back from PG Cruises about removing included air and transferring the booking to a TA. They confirmed their standard policies would apply. So that gives me some breathing room to research flight options and decide whether to keep the booking direct.