First time on a cruise but have a question about a friend who wants to go!

YB315

Hi everyone! I have a quick question on how to go about this issue. My girlfriend and I are going on a Carnival cruise come this August. We also wanted to invite another couple who we are close with but the problem is that my friends girlfriend is 19 and we will all be 21 by the time we leave for the cruise. I have read that she wouldn't be able to go unless accompanied by someone who is 25. So just out of curiosity, is there any other way she could possibly go on with us? It sounds bad but I guess I'm looking for a "loophole" of sorts. It would just be more fun with another couple to hangout with.

Thank you everyone!!

Here's the policy from Carnival's web site:

--

Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own. Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided at embarkation.

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

-The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian.

-The bookings must be cross-referenced with the relative or guardian’s stateroom and documented properly.

-When minors (18 and under) are not traveling with a relative, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel.

-Guests who are 21 to 24 years of age may travel with their minor children.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2544/kw/minor%20guests/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ2MTE3MjYyOS9zaWQvTnZtQ1d2T20%3D

--

Unless one of you can claim her as your child (:eek:), looks like it wouldn't be possible for her to go. Sorry.

You could get married or join the military.

Exceptions: Guests under the age of 21 may travel without a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older under the following conditions:

For both exceptions below, bookings should be carefully documented.

Documentation should be e-mailed prior to the cruise to individualsailingsupport@carnival.com or hand-carried to embarkation. Failure to provide documentation or not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided.

Exception: Legally married couples, including same gender couples

Proper documentation must be submitted.

Documentation includes: marriage license issued by the County Clerk’s Office; legal proof of civil union; for newly married couples: a copy of the marriage license application or certificate signed by the official that performed the ceremony.

Exception: Qualified Military Personnel

Applies to US Military Personnel and Canadian National Defense personnel (and their guests) of 18 – 20 years of age

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2544/~/minor-guest-policy

I don't get the logic in this rule. Why should a legal adult be forced to travel with a guardian?

Perhaps someone can shed a light on it.

Maybe this could be used as a loophole:

If you could find someone on that sailing who would be willing to be a guardian to the girl, and link their stateroom to your bookings, you could perhaps 'bypass' this rule.

Edited by hirent

Just wondering . . . It sounds like you and your girlfriend are both 21. Is someone traveling with you who is 25 or older? If not, it sounds to me from the rules shown here, like you wouldn't be able to go . . .

Just wondering . . . It sounds like you and your girlfriend are both 21. Is someone traveling with you who is 25 or older? If not, it sounds to me from the rules shown here, like you wouldn't be able to go . . .

OP states they will all be 21 by the time of the cruise...except the lady that is part of the other couple

"Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older", looks like original couple will be fine

Edited by Sugar67

I don't get the logic in this rule. Why should a legal adult be forced to travel with a guardian?

Perhaps someone can shed a light on it.

Maybe this could be used as a loophole:

If you could find someone on that sailing who would be willing to be a guardian to the girl, and link their stateroom to your bookings, you could perhaps 'bypass' this rule.

The logic is that most trashed rooms,fights and alcohol overdoses were usually caused by persons in this age span. Experience is a great teacher.

Edited by evandbob

The logic is that most trashed rooms,fights and alcohol overdoses were usually caused by persons in this age span. Experience is a great teacher.

To assume this is the justification for the rule is, in my eyes, a bit presumptive. Carnival has its rules..period. We really don't know why, but the rule has been around for a long, long time....just like the under 25 rental car rule (though with enough extra insurance purchased the rule can be waved).

Are there cruiselines who allow those under 21 to book without any restrictions. Don't know the answer to that one...does anyone.

Their ship, their rules!!!!

Yeah, just what I want to do is take responsibility for a 19 year old that I don't know.

My suggestion is go find a good TA who can work with Carnival about getting an exception.

Sometimes it works, it did for us once.

Their ship, their rules!!!!

Yeah, just what I want to do is take responsibility for a 19 year old that I don't know.

My suggestion is go find a good TA who can work with Carnival about getting an exception.

Sometimes it works, it did for us once.

What exactly should I say?

Back in the 80's, the was a thing called a "senior cruise." High school seniors, not senior citizens. Also, the drinking age was 18 back then. I believe the age restrictions came about as a direct result of the aforementioned situation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Their ship...their rules. It's to prevent a bunch of "frat mentality" kids from being a nuisance...just like many hotels will not rent to "young adults" because in groups, they become moronic and can cause a great deal of mischief and damage!