Best ports for Diamonds

bjtll

I am sorry but I disagree. Yes, there may be some "good deals" in the Caribbean, but they are few and far between, Especially Diamonds! Keep in mind that an appraisal is a value about 30-50% above Retail. It is a replacement value, and they are ALWAYS inflated. Your best bet is to go to a wholesaler at home in the states.

As far as Tanzanite...if you are going to buy it on the Islands PLEASE make sure you inquire about treatments! Tanzanites are a heat treated stone (its real name is zoisite). The heating gives it the purple/blue color. This is acceptable in the industry. What is NOT acceptable is a procedure called coating. It must be disclosed, and will lower the value of the stone.

Anyways, people are going to buy what they are going to buy and thats fine. Just be cautious, ALWAYS ask about treatments, and do your homework before you go. I have seen too many horror stories.

P.S. Buy a piece of jewelry because you like it, not because you think it is a good investment!

Appraisal values are almost always a lot higher than actual retail values, whether you buy here or there. (Unless, of course, you get ripped off.)

I am not going to join those saying never buy jewelry on a cruise, but it's usually not the bargain that the sellers want you to think it is. So don't buy just because you think you're getting a steal.

I agree with both your statements. It's too funny reading posts year after year about purchases that "appraised for twice what I paid". Really? The perfect example is a post here that said what they bought was "worth" twice what they paid. If that was so easy and true, we could all just fly to the Caribbean a couple times a year and pay for our cruises by purchasing and reselling jewelry......:rolleyes: Yes you can get some decent deals, but remember "appraisals" obtained back home usually have NOTHING to do with what you could actually sell something for or what it's really worth.

We always buy our tanzanite and other jewelry in St Kitts at the Gold Mine. We have all our jewelry purchased there appraised here in Colorado when we get home. We have been very happy with our purchases because all of our jewelry is worth double what we paid for in St Kitts. Don't listen to the jeweler's in the states who try to tell you other wise. There are great deals in the Caribbean.

Odds are you got a fair price and enjoy what you've bought. Also, odds are "all" the stuff you've bought is not "worth" double what you paid........

Edited by bouhunter

This is a real point-

Ask yourself this-

When someone asks where you got X, would your rather say "at the mall" or "while I was on Island Y"?

And how much it that worth to you?

I go to the mall to get clothes. I hate shopping. I'd not go to the mall to get a cool watch.

But I like watches, and am happy paying $50 more to get it while on vacation. It's part of the FUN of vacation.

I just got a watch that was made here in the US- local to us, actually. So there's no way anyone in the US would pay import tax on it- the whole "duty free" is bogus for it. Saved sales tax, sure. But it's cooler to have gotten it in the Islands. To me.

I don't get the idea of chasing down the cost of stuff I get to the nearest $1.00. Waste of my time. Just has to be close enough.

This is a real point-

Ask yourself this-

When someone asks where you got X, would your rather say "at the mall" or "while I was on Island Y"?

And how much it that worth to you?

I go to the mall to get clothes. I hate shopping. I'd not go to the mall to get a cool watch.

But I like watches, and am happy paying $50 more to get it while on vacation. It's part of the FUN of vacation.

I just got a watch that was made here in the US- local to us, actually. So there's no way anyone in the US would pay import tax on it- the whole "duty free" is bogus for it. Saved sales tax, sure. But it's cooler to have gotten it in the Islands. To me.

I don't get the idea of chasing down the cost of stuff I get to the nearest $1.00. Waste of my time. Just has to be close enough.

So let me get this straight. You purchase jewelry in the Caribbean so that when someone asks you where you got it......you can say "in the Caribbean?"......:confused::confused::confused:

In my whole entire life, I do not EVER recall asking someone where they purchased their watch, necklace, ring...etc. I'm sure I have complimented on a piece, but never asked where they bought it.....and I actually don't ever remember anyone asking ME where I purchased a piece. This is probably the most ridiculous reason (to me) to purchase jewelry on the Islands.

Edited by champagne123
ffff

So let me get this straight. You purchase jewelry in the Caribbean so that when someone asks you where you got it......you can say "in the Caribbean?"......:confused::confused::confused:

In my whole entire life, I do not EVER recall asking someone where they purchased their watch, necklace, ring...etc. I'm sure I have complimented on a piece, but never asked where they bought it.....and I actually don't ever remember anyone asking ME where I purchased a piece. This is probably the most ridiculous reason (to me) to purchase jewelry on the Islands.

Nobody asks me, but I would rather get my fun stuff when I am having fun instead of the local mall.

So it's an internal question.

If you find it ridiculous, that's fine. But that also means you should not go to really great restaurants on vacation, as you can get great food at home. Or find a special bottle of wine- as it's cheaper at home. Or even bother with getting souvenirs, as they are a waste of a few bucks.

I think it's cool to remind yourself of a trip when I put the watch on.

Heck, the watch I have on right now, I got on the Liberty. I will never forget that. Had I got it at the mall- it would have no meaning anymore that just a timepiece. How much THAT is worth is up to the individual.

Many here have expensive cameras to remember trips. I have a watch.

I don't know, I kind of agree with Eric :eek:

Always fun to have a story behind something as frivolous as jewelry.

Nobody asks me, but I would rather get my fun stuff when I am having fun instead of the local mall.

So it's an internal question.

If you find it ridiculous, that's fine. But that also means you should not go to really great restaurants on vacation, as you can get great food at home. Or find a special bottle of wine- as it's cheaper at home. Or even bother with getting souvenirs, as they are a waste of a few bucks.

I think it's cool to remind yourself of a trip when I put the watch on.

Heck, the watch I have on right now, I got on the Liberty. I will never forget that. Had I got it at the mall- it would have no meaning anymore that just a timepiece. How much THAT is worth is up to the individual.

Many here have expensive cameras to remember trips. I have a watch.

No, that is fine. When I said "ridiculous", I really didn't mean it to offend you. I should have said something else. (darn..cannot think of an appropriate word) As far as your other points, I read an article that stated almost ALL of the jewelry comes from NY....

Souvenirs? Nope....almost everything is from China.

Restaurants? Yes..I do agree with you there because it is the native food prep from the Island with their spices.

I am truly happy you love your watch..enjoy it. :):):)

I just got a watch that was made here in the US- local to us, actually. .

Must be a Shinola;)

You must know Sh$t from Shinola:) Sorry I couldn't resist:D

I notice their watches are showing up all over now, pretty cool. Glad to see they must be doing well.

No, that is fine. When I said "ridiculous", I really didn't mean it to offend you. I should have said something else. (darn..cannot think of an appropriate word) As far as your other points, I read an article that stated almost ALL of the jewelry comes from NY....

Souvenirs? Nope....almost everything is from China.

Restaurants? Yes..I do agree with you there because it is the native food prep from the Island with their spices.

I am truly happy you love your watch..enjoy it. :):):)

Even if it did, why limit yourself to get it from New York? Or sent to your mall?

For that matter- if it does all come from New York, then there's little difference between sending it to St. Thomas to your Main Street.

But I know 100% sure that what I bought was not imported through New York. I could have driven 40 miles and gotten it at the factory store. Saving sales tax getting it on the Island was much more satisfying.

Must be a Shinola;)

You must know Sh$t from Shinola:) Sorry I couldn't resist:D

I notice their watches are showing up all over now, pretty cool. Glad to see they must be doing well.

:D

Since you are familiar- on a very unrelated note- their supplier of parts has come out with a mechanical movement. Which I have been looking forward to for a while.

Thankfully, I do know what to polish my shoes with. Or is it that we don't have a dog.... :eek:

:D

Since you are familiar- on a very unrelated note- their supplier of parts has come out with a mechanical movement. Which I have been looking forward to for a while.

Thankfully, I do know what to polish my shoes with. Or is it that we don't have a dog.... :eek:

Interesting, I was just thinking of asking you if they're selling mechanical watches.:) Might have to look into them one of these days.

Either of you two care to fill those of us out of the loop on what watch ye speak of

A company called Shinola is producing watches in Detroit. They claim to be the first firm making watches in the US for decades. Supposedly pretty good quality. I've seen them for sale in many places. I think they also make bicycles.

Edited by bouhunter

A company called Shinola is producing watches in Detroit. They claim to be the first firm making watches in the US for decades. Supposedly pretty good quality. I've seen them for sale in many places. I think they also make bicycles.

Ouch, kind of pricey. Are they cheaper in the islands.

Yes they do appear rather pricey for a quartz watch. I've bought Swiss automatics for less. In the islands:D

About the same as my quartz Aquaracer I got on the Glory years ago. Upgraded to automatic recently and it's always dead. :(

About the same as my quartz Aquaracer I got on the Glory years ago. Upgraded to automatic recently and it's always dead. :(

Automatic dead???:confused: It should start up as soon as you move it around a little. May also have a winding feature. Most automatics will run 20-40 hours before stopping.

Automatic dead???:confused: It should start up as soon as you move it around a little. May also have a winding feature. Most automatics will run 20-40 hours before stopping.

Not really dead, just stopped. I still have to reset it. Quartz is so much more civilized. Mine probably lasts 20 hours, thought it would last longer. But hey, I can dive up to 300 meters. :rolleyes:

Every time we go to St. Thomas we make a point to visit Ajanta (http://www.ajantajewelers.com/), which is not one of the jewelers that pays the cruise lines for advertising. We have always been very happy with the quality of merchandise that we have purchased from them.

The first time we went we bought a pair of earrings for my wife; she lost one a few years later. Luckily we had taken pictures and saved the receipt, so after striking out trying to get our local jeweler to replace it we emailed Ajanta, which was able to mail us a replacement earring for about half the cost we paid for the pair. Our local jeweler has consistently praised the value/quality of the jewelry we have purchased from Ajanta and I would recommend them.

And yes, Ajanta will also serve you beers. But I much prefer the rolling cart of flavored rums that is just sitting there in the showroom for you to help yourself to. And yes I'm well aware of the "hidden" motive behind the offer of free alcohol -- beer goggles work just as well for jewelry price tags as they do for other things... :)