Sea Princess/Golden Princess World Cruises

When do you think Sea Princess would be replaced on its yearly May Round The World voyage? and what ship could replace it. I read a lot that the ship is looking 'tired'.

And with Golden Princess doing the 75 day Circle Pacific - do you think 2017 will be just a one off for it to do that voyage so would that be the reason it is so heavily booked already?

Still tossing up which one to do.... they both look great - Golden Princess looks stunning tho

I haven't seen a grand class ship used for these cruises, but if demand (pax numbers) rises, then it could be on the cards. Alternatively, Princess will spruce up the Sea Princess or use the already spruced up Sun Princess. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I think the Golden is a better choice for a longer cruise. More dining/drinking choices, and the indoor pool makes it a better all weather ship. I'd be bored silly after a few days on the Sun/Sea/Dawn if it wasn't warm enough to be up on the outside decks.

And Anytime Dining on the Golden, too.

I think the Golden is a better choice for a longer cruise. More dining/drinking choices, and the indoor pool makes it a better all weather ship.

I'd be bored silly after a few days on the Sun/Sea/Dawn if it wasn't warm enough to be up on the outside decks.

And Anytime Dining on the Golden, too.

Spot on cb.

Those three old clunkers should be pensioned off for any cruise over two weeks duration!

Not to mention either that the Sun is still not up to scratch even after it's latest dry-dock "Spruce up",

it is still missing ports of call & can't reach its top speed in perfect conditions let alone any unforseen circumstances. :rolleyes:

If it makes the 2016 circle Pacific without any dramas at all, that will surprise the heck out of me. :eek:

At the very least Princess has seen fit to replace it with the larger ship for the same cruise in 2017, so all is not lost on them making "some" good decisions.

Cheers r

:cool:

I would never sail on a Sun class ship for a long voyage or world cruise or even sector. They are not suited for long voyages. It astounds me the people even go on them.

Grand class like Golden Princess is much more suited to longer cruising. As there are more venues, more space per passenger and have better all weather facilities such as the covered pool area increasing the availability of space in foul weather when such space is reduced on the Sun class.

When do you think Sea Princess would be replaced on its yearly May Round The World voyage? and what ship could replace it. I read a lot that the ship is looking 'tired'.

And with Golden Princess doing the 75 day Circle Pacific - do you think 2017 will be just a one off for it to do that voyage so would that be the reason it is so heavily booked already?

Still tossing up which one to do.... they both look great - Golden Princess looks stunning tho.

The sooner the better.

Hopefully for mine, it will be either of the Japanese built pair Diamond or Sapphire.

If so we would sign on the dotted line immediately. :)

Cheers r

:cool:

I would never sail on a Sun class ship for a long voyage or world cruise or even sector. They are not suited for long voyages. It astounds me the people even go on them.

Grand class like Golden Princess is much more suited to longer cruising. As there are more venues, more space per passenger and have better all weather facilities such as the covered pool area increasing the availability of space in foul weather when such space is reduced on the Sun class.

Just one major problem on a World cruise the Panama Canal. That will be resolved next month with the larger locks opening

I have been on the Sun class ships for around the world, circle pacific and grand European cruises and was absolutely happy with that type of ship. In fact due to circumstances we had 9 straight sea and there was no issues about finding your own space.

I feel that there was less feeling of being crowded on the Sun class ships than on the Golden and Sapphire, and the covered pool on is just like a sauna. Everyone to their own taste but I prefer the size of the Sun class ships, although they no doubt they are showing their age.

I have considered Princess due to the excellent longer itineraries, BUT after looking into the ships they use for these trips most of the time I didn't think it was worth the money.

3 things that really bothered me about those older ships apart from the lack of dining options & other facilities was no My Time Dining on cruises out of Australia - no way do I want to be potentially stuck with folks not conducive to a pleasant meal for weeks on end or be forced to done the same time every night!

Secondly, they charge by the day to use the adults only solarium area & the pool looked like a kiddies wading pool - which could really add up cost wise on a long cruise. Royal & Celebrity have great solariums & they are FREE.

Lastly, we are middle aged & active (flowrider, rock wall, scuba diving etc) & felt the age demographic on Princess especially on longer cruises would be a much older demographic for us to really feel at home. Not sure if this is accurate but I've read many a time o these forums that the zimmer frames & scooters are a common theme on Princess cruises?

However, if they use that Golden princess style ship for those longer cruises & the first 2 issues were addressed I could definatly see us overlooking the age difference issue as those itineraries are very appealing.

I have been on the Sun class ships for around the world, circle pacific and grand European cruises and was absolutely happy with that type of ship. In fact due to circumstances we had 9 straight sea and there was no issues about finding your own space.

I feel that there was less feeling of being crowded on the Sun class ships than on the Golden and Sapphire, and the covered pool on is just like a sauna. Everyone to their own taste but I prefer the size of the Sun class ships, although they no doubt they are showing their age.

The space ratio is more generous per passenger on the Grand class. The Sun class have the worst passenger space ratio of the Princess fleet excluding the Island Princess destruction.

I have done world cruises on the Aurora, Oriana and Arcadia and a similar length voyage on the Golden Princess.

I have done 5 night Tasmania cruises on the Dawn Princess and have also been on the Sun Princess. I found them way too crowded for my liking wiht a sever lack of seating in the buffet and a very claustrophobic theatre.

SEA PRINCESS was pretty tired when it was handed to Australia, and is in the poorest condition of the three Sun class ships . I paid $ 28,000 for a Suite Trans Pacific on SEA and found a balcony with heavily rusted railings, and exterior woodwork that had not seen varnish in years . Also found on exterior decks several rusted out conduits and brackets only held up by the electrical wiring the conduits were supposed to be protecting .

The fact that Princess does NOT offer anytime dining on SUN, SEA & DAWN is just sheer laziness as there are two (2) Main Dining Rooms and WHEN these ships were in the USA they did offer both fixed and anytime dining. So it is just sheer LAZINESS on the part of Princess Australia .

SEA PRINCESS was pretty tired when it was handed to Australia, and is in the poorest condition of the three Sun class ships . I paid $ 28,000 for a Suite Trans Pacific on SEA and found a balcony with heavily rusted railings, and exterior woodwork that had not seen varnish in years . Also found on exterior decks several rusted out conduits and brackets only held up by the electrical wiring the conduits were supposed to be protecting .

The fact that Princess does NOT offer anytime dining on SUN, SEA & DAWN is just sheer laziness as there are two (2) Main Dining Rooms and WHEN these ships were in the USA they did offer both fixed and anytime dining. So it is just sheer LAZINESS on the part of Princess Australia .

I think if you replace the word with lazy and change it to not wanting to spend money it would explain why it is in the poorest condition. Cruise lines these days care more about their bottom line and revenue generated opposed to the upkeep of their ships and passenger satisfaction and that is very sad when they do that. Always looking to cut costs they are.

Funny, they still use Pacific for world cruises from the USA.

Actually it makes quite good sense. Pacific Princess is of a size that can dock in many out of the way, or more exotic ports than the big ships.

Many of the WC passengers will have cruised many times and probably visited the main ports that the big ships visit.

You may very well be right,Princess Australia (carnival) are going to have to wake up quick smart.Australia is the second biggest developing cruise market,followed by china.The only thing that props up the nth american market is the short cruises 4/7 days,we dont have that many short cruises.Hence P&nos venture in 2019 is going to be very interesting.It remains to be seen how they will go,will they venture down their normal path of booze cruises,where you have to pay extra for everything else,and dont mind cramming in with 4 pax in an interior stateroom,just to save money.Just a thought. $28.000,sweet jesus did you have the cabin next to the captains lol.

Edited by mrs and mrs

Sole occupancy of a Suite at the blunt end . We Aussies get ripped off by all Cruise lines compared to US and Canadian prices for the same cruise. But if we try and book via US Agent or website Carnival refuses to accept our bookings. There is a free trade agreement between the USA and Australia but Carnival just ignores that and charges Aussies rip off fares .