Sailing the Escape in a week….pre cruse check list.

K_19

Hi All,

My new wife and I are setting sail on the Escape in a week, and we were lucky enough to upgrade to the Haven Spa Suite! But I have a few questions on what to do prior to boarding….

Has anyone flown into Ft Lauderdale and taken Uber to the port? How hard was it, and do you know the cost? I heard that Uber was cheaper than the cab service or even the NCL shuttle. Ft Lauderdale was so much cheaper to fly into from Atlanta than Miami….so much more than even taking a shuttle or even a cab each way.

Also, has anyone used Verizon international cruise service on the Escape? I’m not too worried about data while aboard until we can find WiFi off the ship, but we are interested in staying in touch with her kids while we are gone.

And I know the attire for the specialty restaurants during dining shy away from shorts and such, and I assume the Haven restaurants are the same, but what about breakfast or lunch in the Haven? Especially if we are relaxing on deck or in the spa with bathing suits on etc.

This will be her first cruise, and I haven’t been on one in years so any other pre-trip advise would be welcome!

Is this your honeymoon? If so, congrats! My now DH and I took a cruise for our honeymoon a couple years ago and loved it (but we love cruising anyway).

Have not taken Uber in Florida (but have in other cities), so am not sure of the cost to get from FLL to the POM. You could reserve SAS or QLS shuttles. We have used both companies and have had good experiences with both. $13 (or maybe $15) per person each way, and they pick you up at the airport or your hotel if you're flying in the night before. IMO, easier than waiting for Uber...but like I said, never taken Uber in FL.

Can't really answer your other questions, as we've never sailed in the Haven, but awesome that you have a spa suite!

We've sailed the Escape twice and love the ship. A few tips:

-- Spice H20 is great and adults-only until 6 p.m.

-- If you like mojitos, go to the Sugarcane Mojito bar and have Bong (Jonathan) the bartender make mojitos. They're all excellent, and he's a super bartender.

-- Not in the Haven, but Food Republic was awesome!

My parents are on your sailing and completely looking forward to it.

Enjoy your cruise!

Is this your honeymoon? If so, congrats! My now DH and I took a cruise for our honeymoon a couple years ago and loved it (but we love cruising anyway).

Have not taken Uber in Florida (but have in other cities), so am not sure of the cost to get from FLL to the POM. You could reserve SAS or QLS shuttles. We have used both companies and have had good experiences with both. $13 (or maybe $15) per person each way, and they pick you up at the airport or your hotel if you're flying in the night before. IMO, easier than waiting for Uber...but like I said, never taken Uber in FL.

Can't really answer your other questions, as we've never sailed in the Haven, but awesome that you have a spa suite!

We've sailed the Escape twice and love the ship. A few tips:

-- Spice H20 is great and adults-only until 6 p.m.

-- If you like mojitos, go to the Sugarcane Mojito bar and have Bong (Jonathan) the bartender make mojitos. They're all excellent, and he's a super bartender.

-- Not in the Haven, but Food Republic was awesome!

My parents are on your sailing and completely looking forward to it.

Enjoy your cruise!

It is our honeymoon...got married this past Saturday!

Looking forward to the mojitos and any other libation that may look good!

And we were a little worried about the shuttles and how often they ran from Ft Lauderdale, which is the reason we were considering Uber....but being a week out, I guess we have a little time to decide.

Have you read these reviews? They'll put you in the mood!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2307885&highlight=escape

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2317327&highlight=escape

And we've done Uber from Miami hotels to POM and back. Extremely easy and very pleased and about a third of what a taxi costs. Haven't done it from Ft. Lauderdale to POM yet but plan to do so in September and asked about it on the Florida Departure Boards and I shouldn't think you'd have any problems. Our Miami Uber driver told us they go as far up as Orlando and as far south as Key West.

Edited by helen haywood

Hi

First it's your Honeymoon, your cruise so wear what you want ( within reason) I have seen photos of the Haven dinning room and it looks classy and chic. But casual shorts and t-shirts should be fine during the day as I say Your choice.

Sailed the Getaway a few times and we are going on the Escape a few times so from experience and the reviews of others book as much as you can online with NCL before you go. That's speciality restaurants like Cagney's the main shows and go to Headliners when you get on board or in your case speak to the Haven concierge and book the others like the comedy shows ( if that's your kind of thing)

A little planning and reviewing of what's available before you go is really worthwhile there is lots to do and some things will get full. Have the most wonderful time and enjoy.

Have you read these reviews? They'll put you in the mood!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2307885&highlight=escape

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2317327&highlight=escape

And we've done Uber from Miami hotels to POM and back. Extremely easy and very pleased and about a third of what a taxi costs. Haven't done it from Ft. Lauderdale to POM yet but plan to do so in September and asked about it on the Florida Departure Boards and I shouldn't think you'd have any problems. Our Miami Uber driver told us they go as far up as Orlando and as far south as Key West.

lol yes I've seen some of those reviews!

And its good to know about the Uber.... hopefully it wont be too pricey.

You can catch the shuttle in the baggage area at FLL and when you get off the ship, the shuttle service was right there as well. It was $16 pp.

Don't forget to pack a lot of fun!!

$16 from MIA

The NCL shuttle from FLL is $25 and can be reserved with NCL. It is a nice motor coach and doesn't run all day. It is your honeymoon, make a reservation and don't leave things to chance. I had an excellent experience and would reserve again. My QLS service was disappointing and I am less likely to use them again.

Private car services are also available and could be a nice honeymoon treat. Maybe that on arrival and NCL bus on departure. The bus was literally steps outside of the terminal, nothing is closer.

Prices are per person one way.

Yes, sure, if you want to splurge for your honeymoon I've used http://www.larryslimo.com/ in the past and been very happy with them. That was before I found Uber. Since you'll be sailing before us in September perhaps you can come back and tell me your experience if you Uber.

Will do... But since we are staying in the Haven, maybe I can have the butler come get us? ;)

All restaurants including the Haven allow shorts for dinner, only exception is Le Bistro which leans toward more formal meaning pants for men. Bathing suits with cover ups are acceptable everywhere for breakfast and lunch, including the Haven.

We used Go Airport Shuttle from Ft Lauderdale, easy and booked online.

Thermal Spa is a nice place to relax, we used it every day.

The Haven is amazing and you will love that you can get away from the craziness with your access to the Haven.

My nephew had the wifi pkg and used it to Skype with his kids.

I am onboard the Escape now headed back to Miami. Not ready for it to end yet! Enjoy

Edited by Ackisland

Congrats! We did a cruise for our honeymoon too. My clothing tip would be to remember tennis shoes or some sort of shoe that encloses your feet if you want to do the ropes course. I didn't realize it and did it with my brown loafers (and white socks: )) I brought for wearing at dinner. The crew and I had a good laugh over that but they agreed, better to go with the wrong shoes than not at all!

Do you have the UBP on your booking?

If so don't leave home without printing and bringing my "NCL UBP FAV DRINKS LIST" (attached) and have fun!!!:D

Diver

Lol... We do have UBP.... And I will definitely try some of those on that list, some of them multiple times! ;)

Congrats on your honeymoon. You will LOVE the Haven. We just got off last week and had a wonderful time. The Haven lounge, pool area, and sun deck were great to get away from the hustle and bustle of the main pool deck. The Haven restaurant was exceptional, best restaurant on the ship in our opinion. We only wished that we had done more meals in the Haven restaurant. We did all breakfasts there, only 1 lunch, and 2 dinners...we should have done more! Enjoy and have a blast.

Hi All,

My new wife and I are setting sail on the Escape in a week, and we were lucky enough to upgrade to the Haven Spa Suite! But I have a few questions on what to do prior to boarding….

Has anyone flown into Ft Lauderdale and taken Uber to the port? How hard was it, and do you know the cost? I heard that Uber was cheaper than the cab service or even the NCL shuttle. Ft Lauderdale was so much cheaper to fly into from Atlanta than Miami….so much more than even taking a shuttle or even a cab each way.

Also, has anyone used Verizon international cruise service on the Escape? I’m not too worried about data while aboard until we can find WiFi off the ship, but we are interested in staying in touch with her kids while we are gone.

And I know the attire for the specialty restaurants during dining shy away from shorts and such, and I assume the Haven restaurants are the same, but what about breakfast or lunch in the Haven? Especially if we are relaxing on deck or in the spa with bathing suits on etc.

This will be her first cruise, and I haven’t been on one in years so any other pre-trip advise would be welcome!

You can get quotes for uber online. Like approxiamate cost per type of car. So i looked at the cheapest car and it was $25-$34 from FLL to POM. I took the NCL shuttle in Feb from POM to the miami airport and that was no problem either and they drop you at your gate. I am sure it would be similar to FLL. Other companies are $10 cheaper than NCL's shuttle. would love to know if you took uber and what the cost was once you go. I am going on the escape may 14 and have been looking at options as well

Edited by karenpstok

Be sure you read the posts about tipping in the Haven. The Butler and Concierge are not included in the "mandatory tipping". Also--bring a dozen or so of the small "tea lights" to spread in your cabin as night lights and also "honeymoon ambiance"!!! Buy them on Amazon.

Edited by zteamtwo
addition