Denali National Park Shuttles

Denise&Paul STL

We have 3 couples doing DIY after cruise with some time in Anchorage, and Talkeetna and Denali.

We are wondering how the shuttle buses are in Denali National Park for seniors. I read somewhere they are really just old school buses. I remember our old school bus being very jerky and the thought of being on one of those for 4-1/2 hours bothers me, much less the seniors in our group. Can anyone relate just how difficult a ride this will be? Any tips to help deal with it if it is that difficult?

Thank you!

no one can predict how comfortable or uncomfortable you will be on the bus. It's totally subjective .... similar to asking " will I be cold?"

I've made a dozen shuttle trips now and if I had the time I'd ride it every day for a week or 2. I feel no discomfort whatsoever, but not everyone feels the same. Look at the photos in this trip report for mvpinboynton to see the interior of the shuttle bus. http://www.thepreismans.com/alaska_island_14_page4.htm

If you don't like it, you can get off anywhere along the road or at a rest area, then flag down a bus that's returning to the entrance.

p.s. here's another trip report with Denali photos. They went all the way to Kantishna ... about 12 hrs

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2231881&page=3

Edited by mapleleaves
p.s.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for returning to the forum with an update. Glad to hear that you weren't uncomfortable on the bus. :) Hope you had a great trip.

Please come back and tell us about the rest of your trip. ... it can be a couple of paragraphs with info about your activities or a 20 page photojournal !whichever you have time for, we'll appreciate the information .

We took the Tundra Wilderness tour in Denali in July.

The bus was a school bus. However the bench seats had been replaced by upgraded seating like on a luxury bus. The seats were cushioned.

The drive was not as smooth as a motor coach but it certainly was not like a bumpy school bus ride as we experienced in our youth! The frequent stops were helpful.