Which power strip to take?

skidawg79

Wouldn't it be nearly impossible for them to tell if yours has surge protection or not? Especially if it looks like a normal power strip.

There are clues in the writing on the back of the power strip. Phrases like "clamping voltage" and "joules of protection" indicate surge protection.

I have used the Belkin one mentioned on all 4 of the Carnival Cruises I have been on and have had no issues. It's not been confiscated or anything.

Now we only charge when we are in the room and don't leave is plugged up when we leave the room.

Leaving any thing plugged in when the room is not occupied is a fire hazard in itself.

I have used the Belkin one mentioned on all 4 of the Carnival Cruises I have been on and have had no issues. It's not been confiscated or anything.

Now we only charge when we are in the room and don't leave is plugged up when we leave the room.

Leaving any thing plugged in when the room is not occupied is a fire hazard in itself.

That is irrelevant. You should not use it again on a ship. If you would have had an issue, there would have been a fire and/or damaged what was plugged in. Find another way to charge your devices and stop putting people's lives at risk over a stupid cell phone or whatever is so important to charge. So you might not have known before that it is a fire hazard, but now you do. There are safer devices to use. So please do some research and obtain one for next time.

Since some people really don't care which rules apply to them and are blazingly arrogant with what they have done before, perhaps Carnival should put a ban on all multi plug cords/boxes. They can throw them out at the port when discovered. Then the guest can request an approved one through their room steward.

Keep it up, and that is exactly what will happen. Look at the whole bottled water situation. All it takes is enough people saying they don't follow the rules and how they skate around them because they have gotten a way with it. Except in this case it is a DANGER for ignorant, and worse, uncaring people to continue to use these PROHIBITED devices. Actually I hope Carnival does enact it. If it means not having a fire at sea putting thousands of people's lives at risk, why not?

Edited by firemanbobswife

That's a surge protector as well, which is against the policy and a fire hazard.

Perhaps Carnival hasn't done enough to inform people about the hazards of a surge protector onboard? I confess that I wasn't aware of this until I read the boards here.

Have a great cruise!

You're right. I was looking at a smaller one that wasn't a surge protector, I read that one completely. Then this one showed up in the bottom and it had more USB plugs so I just grabbed it.

Thanks for catching that. I guess I'll be returning it and starting over...

You misunderstood. The person I was quoting was saying that the people who check your bags wouldn't notice so I asked why would THAT matter (if they can't tell) because it's still a fire hazard

I am on your side and agree 100%. Sorry if I wasn't clear

No one should bring a power cord with a surge suppressor, ever

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My comment wasn't directed at you it was to everyone arguing about their rights to continue to us power bars with surge protectors because they always have.

My comment wasn't directed at you it was to everyone arguing about their rights to continue to us power bars with surge protectors because they always have.

ok, no worries. thanks...

You quoted me so I thought there was a misunderstanding. :)

I agree with you. I wish that every person that blatantly disregards this rule would have to spend the day working at a Burn Unit in a hospital. Let me tell you, there are some things that you never forget. The sights, the smells, the sounds of the poor people as their bandages are being changed that would haunt you for the rest of your life. I'm not going to go into any details, but let me just say it's horrific. I got pulled to work there one day from my regular floor and I prayed that I never had to go back. It was just too much.

Fire is nothing to mess around with. Please be safe and follow the rules. No one wants to get injured or die because of something preventable.

We just got off the Dream and found the following:

-Must not say anywhere that it is a surge protector.

-Must be in good repair.

-Carry it in your carry-on baggage along with a print-out list of allowable items you can show the security folks that the one you have is, in fact, legal to bring on.

-You won't have any problems with it in New Orleans. They just looked at it to be sure there weren't any frayed wires showing.

-Have fun!

Wouldn't it be nearly impossible for them to tell if yours has surge protection or not? Especially if it looks like a normal power strip.

I believe if a power strip is a surge protector it needs to be stamped as such. If it doesn't have the stamp (on the bottom of the strip) it is nothing but a powerstrip.

Since most of the comments on here are in response to what I have posted in this thread, I wanted to clarify a few things. It may or may not make a difference to those who have bashed me, said that I make my mom proud, and suggested that I may be fine with my kids having unprotected sex..

I came to this community and forums before my first cruise over 4 years ago. I was reading posts about CPAP machines, some suggested you can request an extension cord from GS, but that most rooms only having one outlets, so with the CPAP machine being plugged up, that leaves no plug available for anything else. I read that sometimes it is hit or miss with being able to get an extension cord, and being diagnosed with sleep apnea, I have to use my CPAP when I sleep as well as others with the same condition. It was suggested in a thread to purchase the Belkin surge protector I linked above, and put it in my CPAP bag, which I have to carry on. I did this. I have been on 3 cruises, from two different ports, and have had my CPAP machine X-rayed and had to open the bag and have the contents searched. I have never had anyone during the screening process say anything to me about the Belkin or mention anything about surge protectors, I have never had the steward say anything about it, as the Belkin is left on the desk when unplugged during the day. Having had that suggested by other members and never having an issue boarding with it or being seen in the room, I assumed everything was fine.

Not until earlier in this post where there was a link to Cheng's posts about the Coast Guard advisory, I never knew the Coast Guard had that out. It would have been real nice if someone could have just posted that, suggest that I take a look, and that they are not allowed. Instead, everyone loves to bash and be rude. I never said anything about refusing to take the advice, or that I was never going to stop using it. My point was that I was unaware that specific Belkin strip was not allowed. No one at anytime in the terminal or on the ship said anything. I will say that I read the prohibited items list, and when I read the part about extension cords are allowed without surge protectors, the image in my mind was of the power strip with a 3 to 5 foot cord and the on/off switch with 4 to 6 plug ins. When I read the post about CPAP and plug ins, the Belkin does not look like that, so I thought I would be good to go, and have been using it since. Now that I have read Cheng's post, I will be discontinuing using it.

This may prove to those that were saying I have no regard for other passengers lives that it was an honest mistake based on what I read here, based on what I was allowed to get on board with in plain view, and what happened when the Belkin was in plain view of the cabin steward. Of course, it may just be more fodder for some to flame some more..

Edited by reerun25

Personally I appreciate you coming back on and explaining the situation. I apologize for my words as many have come on to the forum announcing that they are breaking the rules with no regard to anyone else.

I believe the part that got me (and maybe others) to post was your quote

I plan to take it on my upcoming cruise at the end of May

so you read the thread, you saw in the thread that it was not allowed and decided (in the post) to say you are taking it anyway. Can you see how that looked? you know the rules and why, but still didn't care?

In this thread it was told it was not allowed and explained it was a fire hazard before you posted so it looked like you didn't care.

I'm glad that you now see why its not allowed and will find one without a surge protector

Edited by hftmrock

Okay, folks, lets step back and take a deep breath.

I've made it my mission to get the word out to the CC membership about surge protectors, ever since the USCG Safety Notice (note that it is a notice and an advisory to shipowners only, and the USCG has no jurisdiction to enforce this on foreign flag cruise ships). I try to only point out the facts, give explanations, and give recommendations (on equipment that I have personally researched back to the manufacturer, either website or e-mail contact). I try not to get snarky or into personal slurs, but others seem to take it far more personal. I can give advice, but I certainly cannot stop anyone from doing whatever they feel they want to.

Frequently, the Belkin gets through security screening because it looks so much like a multiple plug.

For Cushing, not always will a power strip have the words "surge protector" or "surge suppressor" on it. As I've said previously, it may only have words like "clamping voltage" or "joules of protection" which are measures of surge protector effectiveness.

I've made it my mission to get the word out to the CC membership about surge protectors, ever since the USCG Safety Notice (note that it is a notice and an advisory to shipowners only, and the USCG has no jurisdiction to enforce this on foreign flag cruise ships). I try to only point out the facts, give explanations, and give recommendations (on equipment that I have personally researched back to the manufacturer, either website or e-mail contact). I try not to get snarky or into personal slurs, but others seem to take it far more personal. I can give advice, but I certainly cannot stop anyone from doing whatever they feel they want to.

Frequently, the Belkin gets through security screening because it looks so much like a multiple plug.

For Cushing, not always will a power strip have the words "surge protector" or "surge suppressor" on it. As I've said previously, it may only have words like "clamping voltage" or "joules of protection" which are measures of surge protector effectiveness.

I want you to know that I and I'm sure others truly appreciate all the time and effort you put in on this subject here. Can you do me a favor and look at this thread. Posts 40, 41, and 46 in particular and give your advice? Thank you so much.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2347749

Where does it say that surge protectors cause fires on cruise ships?

There is an article about excessive use cords and an advisory, not a mandate by the USCG.

And Carnival's website says exceptions allowed are: extension cords (without surge protectors).

It mentions nothing about surge protectors being allowed or not allowed on multi plug box outlets/adaptors.

If my 3 plug adapter were to have caused a fire, then I should have been in a burn unit 10 years ago. Stringing extension cords across the room would be more of a hazard than my 3 plug adapter I am sure!

There is an article about excessive use cords and an advisory, not a mandate by the USCG.

And Carnival's website says exceptions allowed are: extension cords (without surge protectors).

It mentions nothing about surge protectors being allowed or not allowed on multi plug box outlets/adaptors.

If my 3 plug adapter were to have caused a fire, then I should have been in a burn unit 10 years ago. Stringing extension cords across the room would be more of a hazard than my 3 plug adapter I am sure!

Please go back earlier in the thread and click on the links provided. Particularly posts 12, 14, and 36.

If you read the USCG Safety Notice, it says, quote:

"The Coast Guard recommends that vessel Owners, Operators, Class Society Surveyors, Insurers,

and other inspection personnel examine the risks associated with the use of SPDs aboard their

vessels, and if necessary ensure their organizations have policies and procedures relating to their

use. Vessels should have defined procedures for checking the condition and grounding capabilities

of personal/portable electrical equipment, and trained shipboard personnel should be assigned to

check and approve all SPDs in use or brought on board for compatibility with the vessel’s electrical

distribution system prior to use. Routine checks of switchboard and distribution system 120 VAC

ground detection systems are necessary to detect the presence of grounds that may cause similar

circumstances with non-marine type SPDs. These recommendations are not mandated rather just an

advisory based on lessons learned from the casualty. "

Note that this entire paragraph is about SPD (surge protection devices), not about excess extension cords. And you are correct, that the USCG has made it an advisory, particularly since they cannot enforce something like this on foreign flag cruise ships. However, Carnival in particular, has noted that surge protectors are not allowed, because their insurance underwriter has determined that there is sufficient risk to make a policy, as advised by the USCG.

Not being snarky, I would really like to know why you think that a surge protector on a power strip is different from a surge protector on your Belkin multi-outlet?

As I've stated in my previous posts and links, read the USCG Safety Notice very carefully. The fire was not caused by the surge protector failing, it was caused by a ground in another circuit on the ship which put reverse voltage on the semi-conductors (MOV's) in the surge protector. These MOV's are not designed for reverse voltage, and can fail catastrophically when it happens. If the person who was using the surge protector that caught fire in the USCG Safety Notice was not using a surge protector, then the ground in the other circuit would not have affected his cabin at all. This is why you can take and use a surge protector onboard for years, never having a problem, until that one day when a particular circuit has a ground in it, and your surge protector gets reverse voltage and fails in thermal runaway.

Extension cords, multi-outlet splitters, and multi-USB chargers, that do not have surge protection are allowed. Surge protectors in any form are not allowed. As stated earlier, I can tell you the risks, I can tell you the facts, I can even give a fair description of the physics of the problem, but I can't force you to do what is prudent.

Here is a thread started by another CC member, who has an electrical engineering background, who doubted me and the applicability of the USCG Safety Notice. He took my advice and went to marine engineering professors and came away convinced, see post #10:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2271143

I don't understand what the fuss is all about. Simply take short household extension cord and a Velcro tie to keep it neat. If you need more outlets, take two. If you need a three-pronged plug, purchase the shortest three-pronged plug extension cord you can find or buy a short, one-outlet cord and add a three outlet adapter.

I've traveled all around the world, and this is the rig I always take. If you're overseas, you can simply plug the extension cord into your foreign power adapter and all of your devices have nice, happy 120 V to play with.

Two extension cords take us less room and weigh much less than a power strip. Make it easy.

I just recently came across the information you have been posting and found it useful. Thanks for all your work on this.

In response to what you posted about some specific products I sent an e-mail to Anker Support asking about their products and if there were any suitable for use on the cruise lines (non-surge protected). Anker is a manufacturer of a reasonably popular multi-port USB chargers sold on Amazon.com.

I received the following response:

---

Dear Carl,

Thank you for writing to us.

I'm glad to know that you are interested in Anker. Please note that most of our chargers are built with Surge protection now. We regret that we do not have a suitable item for you at this moment. I will forward this to our Product Managers to see if they will consider the customers' needs like yours in future.

Thanks again for your inquiry. If there is anything else we can help with, please feel free to contact us.

Reference Ticket#8414208 if contacting a CSR by phone.

Tessa

AnkerDirect Customer Support

1-800-988-7973

Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm(pst)

---

So no Anker products for the cruise at this time.

Edited by NightOne

And when they do fail, especially slowly like would happen in an upstream load causing a difference in potential enough to burn up an MOV, they do it slowly and with LOTS AND LOTS of smoke depending on the load.

Since most of the comments on here are in response to what I have posted in this thread, I wanted to clarify a few things. It may or may not make a difference to those who have bashed me, said that I make my mom proud, and suggested that I may be fine with my kids having unprotected sex..

I came to this community and forums before my first cruise over 4 years ago. I was reading posts about CPAP machines, some suggested you can request an extension cord from GS, but that most rooms only having one outlets, so with the CPAP machine being plugged up, that leaves no plug available for anything else. I read that sometimes it is hit or miss with being able to get an extension cord, and being diagnosed with sleep apnea, I have to use my CPAP when I sleep as well as others with the same condition. It was suggested in a thread to purchase the Belkin surge protector I linked above, and put it in my CPAP bag, which I have to carry on. I did this. I have been on 3 cruises, from two different ports, and have had my CPAP machine X-rayed and had to open the bag and have the contents searched. I have never had anyone during the screening process say anything to me about the Belkin or mention anything about surge protectors, I have never had the steward say anything about it, as the Belkin is left on the desk when unplugged during the day. Having had that suggested by other members and never having an issue boarding with it or being seen in the room, I assumed everything was fine.

Not until earlier in this post where there was a link to Cheng's posts about the Coast Guard advisory, I never knew the Coast Guard had that out. It would have been real nice if someone could have just posted that, suggest that I take a look, and that they are not allowed. Instead, everyone loves to bash and be rude. I never said anything about refusing to take the advice, or that I was never going to stop using it. My point was that I was unaware that specific Belkin strip was not allowed. No one at anytime in the terminal or on the ship said anything. I will say that I read the prohibited items list, and when I read the part about extension cords are allowed without surge protectors, the image in my mind was of the power strip with a 3 to 5 foot cord and the on/off switch with 4 to 6 plug ins. When I read the post about CPAP and plug ins, the Belkin does not look like that, so I thought I would be good to go, and have been using it since. Now that I have read Cheng's post, I will be discontinuing using it.

This may prove to those that were saying I have no regard for other passengers lives that it was an honest mistake based on what I read here, based on what I was allowed to get on board with in plain view, and what happened when the Belkin was in plain view of the cabin steward. Of course, it may just be more fodder for some to flame some more..

I have also used the Belkin in the past and had no problems. No one ever told me I couldn't. I also thought that a surge protector was exactly what you thought( the power strip with a 3 to 5 foot cord and the on/off switch with 4 to 6 plug ins). Now knowing what I do, I will not bring my Belkin but if I never read this thread, I would have and it is pretty scary to think I could have caused a disaster and no one stopped me in the past from doing so.

That being said, it this safe and allowed?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-51947-GE-3-Outlet-Polarized-Indoor-Extension-Cord-9/16932138

You misunderstood. The person I was quoting was saying that the people who check your bags wouldn't notice so I asked why would THAT matter (if they can't tell) because it's still a fire hazard

I am on your side and agree 100%. Sorry if I wasn't clear

No one should bring a power cord with a surge suppressor, ever

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I meant it the other way. I don't want to "sneak on" one that's surge proected, I want to bring on the correct kind. i just didn't know how they would tell the difference. Seems like it would be very tedious for the inspectors to look that closely at every one.