Traditional Dining question

ZeroSeven

Hello folks,

It's our first time cruising with Princess. We had sailed with RCCL, NCL and Celebrity in the past and are very excited to experience Royal Princess for a W. Med itinerary in June:)

My TA booked us in March and have assigned us for the 8:15 traditional dining (6 guests for a table of 6). When we first registered with Princess it showed on my Princess personalizer that our request has been confirmed. I logged back in today and it's now showing a waitlist #45:confused:

Do they prioritize other passengers once they request dining times???

Cheers:)

Tables for 6 are very popular and sometimes that waitlist happens in the early stages of the cruise preparations. It makes for a good mix provided the other 4 people aren't best friends travelling together. But I would ask do you really want to eat at 8.15pm every night? In reality after seating and ordering you'll be enjoying your appetizer about 9pm, main 9.30pm, finally out of the dining room about 10.15pm.

Hello folks,

It's our first time cruising with Princess. We had sailed with RCCL, NCL and Celebrity in the past and are very excited to experience Royal Princess for a W. Med itinerary in June:)

My TA booked us in March and have assigned us for the 8:15 traditional dining (6 guests for a table of 6). When we first registered with Princess it showed on my Princess personalizer that our request has been confirmed. I logged back in today and it's now showing a waitlist #45:confused:

Do they prioritize other passengers once they request dining times???

Cheers:)

You will probably get what you requested. But, if you do not you may wish to switch to Anytime Dining(ATD). You can do this pre-cruise on the cruise personlizer, or even wait until you are on board by speaking with the head waiter. At 7:30 and later the two midship DR's, Concerto & Symphony, are assigned to ATD. There is plenty of seating after 7:30 and you will be flexible to dine at any time, especially in Europe when the itinerary is port intensive. ATD has the same menu and same dress codes as traditional dining.

For information after a long day of touring you may what to have a quicker meal. Alfredo's, a no charge, walk in, waiter served restaurant serving individual pizza, calzones, appetizers, salads, and desserts is open each day from 11am to 11pm. Also, the Royal Princess has an excellent, extensive buffet open all the time to 11pm or midnight.

You may also wish to consider, The Crown Grill, Sabatini's, Crab Shack or Fondues. These have a reasonable surcharge. Reservations are required and only made once on board by calling the DINE line or visiting the restaurant. Crab Shack & Fondues casual dining is held in a closed off buffet seating area. They are offered only on some evenings

Of course, the Trident Gill and Prego Pizza by the Lido pool is open every day until 11pm should you be tired and want a quick meal or something to take back to your cabin. There is no charge.

But I would ask do you really want to eat at 8.15pm every night? In reality after seating and ordering you'll be enjoying your appetizer about 9pm, main 9.30pm, finally out of the dining room about 10.15pm.

This is what we usually do.....we are always out of dinner in time for the late show....seating always available!! :)

We have been doing Traditional Late Seating for years. The dining staff is much more relaxed as they are done for the night when you leave. Also, we never feel rushed to get ready for dinner after a full day in port. Best way to go in our humble opinion...

Tables for 6 are very popular and sometimes that waitlist happens in the early stages of the cruise preparations. It makes for a good mix provided the other 4 people aren't best friends travelling together. But I would ask do you really want to eat at 8.15pm every night? In reality after seating and ordering you'll be enjoying your appetizer about 9pm, main 9.30pm, finally out of the dining room about 10.15pm.

Actually many passengers, such as us, enjoy late traditional. In reality, we usually have our appetitizer and at least the soup/salad course way before 9pm. And if a group (couple or couples dining together) want to leave by 10pm or earlier for a show, they can mention this to their waitstaff (and other tablemates). Some may skip dessert at dinner, and then go to the Horizon or International Cafe for a late dessert later on.

Actually many passengers' date=' such as us, enjoy late traditional. In reality, we usually have our appetitizer and at least the soup/salad course way before 9pm. And if a group (couple or couples dining together) want to leave by 10pm or earlier for a show, they can mention this to their waiststaff (and other tablemates). Some may skip dessert at dinner, and then go to the Horizon or International Cafe for a late dessert later on.[/quote']

Yep we like it too.

Hmmm... you made some good points. Now I'm debating if I should make the switch to anytime dining:rolleyes:

You will probably get what you requested. But, if you do not you may wish to switch to Anytime Dining(ATD). You can do this pre-cruise on the cruise personlizer, or even wait until you are on board by speaking with the head waiter. At 7:30 and later the two midship DR's, Concerto & Symphony, are assigned to ATD. There is plenty of seating after 7:30 and you will be flexible to dine at any time, especially in Europe when the itinerary is port intensive. ATD has the same menu and same dress codes as traditional dining.

For information after a long day of touring you may what to have a quicker meal. Alfredo's, a no charge, walk in, waiter served restaurant serving individual pizza, calzones, appetizers, salads, and desserts is open each day from 11am to 11pm. Also, the Royal Princess has an excellent, extensive buffet open all the time to 11pm or midnight.

You may also wish to consider, The Crown Grill, Sabatini's, Crab Shack or Fondues. These have a reasonable surcharge. Reservations are required and only made once on board by calling the DINE line or visiting the restaurant. Crab Shack & Fondues casual dining is held in a closed off buffet seating area. They are offered only on some evenings

Of course, the Trident Gill and Prego Pizza by the Lido pool is open every day until 11pm should you be tired and want a quick meal or something to take back to your cabin. There is no charge.

Thank you for the time in writing up this informative post... Highly appreciated:)

Edited by ZeroSeven

Hmmm... you made some good points. Now I'm debating if I should make the switch to anytime dining:rolleyes:

If Princess does not give you back your reservation. I second the suggestion to switch to anytime dining. Dine only when you feel like.:)