Should I stay on the ship for Costa Maya or Belize?

GreatEscape2015

For those who've done a western caribbean cruise before:

We have a cruise booked for mid-May on the NCL Getaway. this will be my first cruise, period. Two of the ports on the Itinerary are Costa Maya and Belize. The others which I'll definitely be booking excursions for are roatan and cozumel. If I want to sit one of these ports out and just lounge on the ship that day, which port would you suggest skipping out on and why?

Thanks for the tips.

If you want a relaxing day I recommend going to blue key in Costa Maya. Short cheap ride there. Cheap place right on the beach. Short cheap ride back to the ship. In Belize I would go to Lamanai. If you don't want to do that I would stay on the ship there but they are both excellent ports depending on what you like to do and see and your budget. There are so many factors that you didn't mention like your likes and dislikes, budget and mobility.

If you want a relaxing day I recommend going to blue key in Costa Maya. Short cheap ride there. Cheap place right on the beach. Short cheap ride back to the ship. In Belize I would go to Lamanai. If you don't want to do that I would stay on the ship there but they are both excellent ports depending on what you like to do and see and your budget. There are so many factors that you didn't mention like your likes and dislikes, budget and mobility.

Mobility is a huge consideration as I'm travelling with an older parent who has arthritis. This pretty much removes the more active excursions like the tubing and ziplining.

If I was to book a quick tour of a city (such as the trolley tour of Belize), can we then return to the ship at our own leisure, or does the tendering happen for all shore excursions together (closer to the departure time)?

In Belize, you can just walk outside the terminal gate and hire a taxi, assuming you can find a van taxi, and ask them to give you a short tour of the city's highlights, but outside of a couple of museums and the old Anglican Church, not a lot to stop at. And you would have to stop and get out to appreciate these sites.

In CM, Blue Kay could be an option, but from a mobility standpoint, the dock is long , you'll need to walk to the pier shuttle and then walk through the cruise port center and out the gate to catch a taxi that will take you directly to Blue Kay. If you catch the open air tram inside the cruise center, you might be better off stopping at Tropicante. The tram stops at Tequila Beach on its first stop and you'll have to walk to Blue Kay. Not a bad walk as you can go along the paved malecon, but a walk nevertheless. Your other option is to simply take you time and go around the shops in the cruise center and grab some refreshment if you want. Not what many seasoned cruisers like to do, but an option to staying on the ship.

Having been to both multiple times and traveling with someone with limited mobility, I'd say get off the ship in Belize. While there isn't a lot to do, being it's your first cruise there is something exciting about saying I'm in Belize!. It's a tender port, which can be a bit of a hassle, but it's part of the cruising experience. There is an open air trolley that leaves from right outside the port gates. It is an excursion that usually can be booked through the ship. You won't get off to stop at any places but it gives a nice little overview of the city. Plus you get some tasty plantain chips. Would be a shame to travel that far on a cruise and not get into the city for a little while. You'll still have time to lounge on the ship for what I call "private yacht day".

In Costa Maya, there are beach options. Depending on if that's what you are looking for there are good options there. If mobility is an issue the walking in sand may be a problem.I have a review of one beach, Almaplena, in my signature.

All that being said, we only occasionally get off the ship in Belize now but always get off the ship in Costa Maya. But for a first timer, get to Belize.

Edited by idahospud

For those who've done a western caribbean cruise before:

We have a cruise booked for mid-May on the NCL Getaway. this will be my first cruise, period. Two of the ports on the Itinerary are Costa Maya and Belize. The others which I'll definitely be booking excursions for are roatan and cozumel. If I want to sit one of these ports out and just lounge on the ship that day, which port would you suggest skipping out on and why?

Thanks for the tips.

Belize isn't that bad, but for mobility issues you do have to use a tender. Whereas there is a long pier in Costa and I believe they do have a shuttle. In Costa there is also a cheap taxi ($3 I think) which takes you over to the fishing village of Mahahual where there is sand and food.

I did take the trip to Lamanai in Belize which is fantastic, but for mobility issues I see problems.

We had a toddler and a senior with us.

We stayed on the ship for Belize as we had a long day in Roatan the day prior, so it was a welcome rest.

We mainly went on this cruise for the beaches and for the ease of travel, so staying on the ship for Belize (which is a tender and there's no quick access to the beach) was a good call for us.

For Costa Maya, we walked off the ship (easy - you can even take the free tram from the ship to the end of the port where there's a shopping area), hopped on the tram to the Mahahual shopping area ($3 per person) which dropped us off near the Krazy Lobster, and walked along the boardwalk by the shops and restaurants. The walk can be long and hot. If you want to skip the walk, just take a taxi (not the tram) directly to Blue Kay, where it's nice and relaxed to enjoy the beach and some food/drink. It's quiet, no beach vendors. No all inclusive fee at Blue Kay, either - just order food and drink. We enjoyed it there. When you're ready to go, just ask the waitress to get you a taxi, which picks you up right at the door (no walking needed!) and drops you off at the port. Very easy.

Staying on the ship for Belize and enjoying the beach in Costa Maya (Blue Kay) was the right choice for us.

Whatever you do, have fun!!! :)