Anthem of the Seas - 5-night Bermuda Inaugural - LIVE-ISH Blog!

So excited that you are doing this! I was hoping someone would give info about this cruise and provide copies of the Compass! I'm on the 6/25 Bermuda sailing so this thread will give me something to obsess about!! :D

We live in Massapequa, and it's about an hour to the port from here. Usually leave around 9am, just after rush hour. We take the Southern State to the Belt, over the Verazzano. (We usually take Rt 440 north over the Bayonne Bridge up to the port, but the bridge is closed for construction) Then, over the Goethals to the NJ tpke north to exit 14A, over the Newark Bay extension bridge - after the tolls we follow the signs to Rt 440 south to the cruise port. This detour adds about 20 minutes to the trip.

Thanks for the directions, Donna. I live slightly east of Massapequa and was trying to figure out the best route to the ship for my July 14 sailing. We used to leave about 9 for the port but this year I think we will leave slightly earlier in case of delays.

Capital Kyle, enjoy your cruise. My DD has a friend who is on this sailing.

I'm looking forward to hearing about this. I intentionally booked Northstar for 4:30 as we leave Bermuda.

Cruising along the coast of Bermuda with all of those pastel houses and buildings is one of the most beautiful sail-by's that I've ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Booked for 9:30 (we get into Bermuda at 9) so I think that'll be interesting. I was originally booked for 9 but we added a third to our group which forced me to do new reservations. Glad the next one was available!

Thanks everyone for the comments and for following along so far :) Best is yet to come!

Passing through Union Station in D.C. this morning:

E394048E-6951-4F02-9A5F-14696876AA06_zpss2r2ijev.jpg

6004E7FE-BCE0-4807-BAB4-8B928842A1C8_zpswarampyl.jpg

6C173A1C-1238-49C4-A490-7F1063C7F852_zpsevascmcy.jpg

On the Acela now, somewhere north of Baltimore. Where's the bar car?? :p

Following as well. After having a horrendous start to 2016, I am so looking forward to my Oct cruise; so enjoy yourself and have fun!

How early can you pre-book North Star? What a smart idea to book it while entering/exiting a port! I would think entering a port is better in case the ship is delayed leaving.

Following as well. After having a horrendous start to 2016, I am so looking forward to my Oct cruise; so enjoy yourself and have fun!

How early can you pre-book North Star? What a smart idea to book it while entering/exiting a port! I would think entering a port is better in case the ship is delayed leaving.

Thank you, sorry to hear your year is off to a rough start, but there's nothing like looking forward to a cruise to perk things up! :D

I'm not sure how early bookings open for North Star, but I booked on or around the 4th of February and as far as I can remember the reservations were open immediately. One question I am interested in asking someone onboard is what percentage of North Star time do they block off for reservations, and what percentage is first come first served?

I liked the idea of being up there when we came into port as well, only problem is if we get in early! I may end up just watching them tie the ship up to the pier :rolleyes: Nice and slow, captain, we're in no rush :cool:

We live in Massapequa, and it's about an hour to the port from here. Usually leave around 9am, just after rush hour. We take the Southern State to the Belt, over the Verazzano. (We usually take Rt 440 north over the Bayonne Bridge up to the port, but the bridge is closed for construction) Then, over the Goethals to the NJ tpke north to exit 14A, over the Newark Bay extension bridge - after the tolls we follow the signs to Rt 440 south to the cruise port. This detour adds about 20 minutes to the trip.

There is more construction at exit 14A. Once you go through the toll plaza, follow signs to Avenue E. This is much less congested than following 440 as there are tons of trucks on 440. Once on Ave E, take your first left, (there is a Cruise Port sign). Follow this road around, (curves to the right). At the light, make your left into the cruise port.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

PS, here is the Port Authority phone #, you can check to see if the Bayonne Bridge is open when you return. 718-390-2502

Carol

Edited by Carolrd
Added PA phone number

Entertainment and Activity booking opens somewhere around 120 days prior to the cruise. In my experiences, it has opened before and after that mark. So what i suggest is to check daily. When it does open up, IFly reservations go more quickly than Northstar. On our July 9 cruise, after they opened, within a week all Ifly availability was gone.

Entertainment and Activity booking opens somewhere around 120 days prior to the cruise. In my experiences, it has opened before and after that mark. So what i suggest is to check daily. When it does open up, IFly reservations go more quickly than Northstar. On our July 9 cruise, after they opened, within a week all Ifly availability was gone.

Thank you, sorry to hear your year is off to a rough start, but there's nothing like looking forward to a cruise to perk things up! :D

I'm not sure how early bookings open for North Star, but I booked on or around the 4th of February and as far as I can remember the reservations were open immediately. One question I am interested in asking someone onboard is what percentage of North Star time do they block off for reservations, and what percentage is first come first served?

Thanks!

Thanks for the directions, Donna. I live slightly east of Massapequa and was trying to figure out the best route to the ship for my July 14 sailing. We used to leave about 9 for the port but this year I think we will leave slightly earlier in case of delays.

Capital Kyle, enjoy your cruise. My DD has a friend who is on this sailing.

July 14th is a weekday, so the Bayonne Bridge is open during rush hour until 9am. We usually get there before it closes, and then stop at Starbucks or Walmart on Rt 440 just before the port when we are too early for check in.

Can you check out the gift shops - like what Royal Caribbean stuff do they sell and if they have Bermuda gifts as well? I saw someone say the Ifly is all booked up for the July 9th cruise. My husband would like to do that but it says to do that when we get onboard. Where would we check to get on that? Really looking forward to hearing all about your trip. Have a great time!

Can you check out the gift shops - like what Royal Caribbean stuff do they sell and if they have Bermuda gifts as well? I saw someone say the Ifly is all booked up for the July 9th cruise. My husband would like to do that but it says to do that when we get onboard. Where would we check to get on that? Really looking forward to hearing all about your trip. Have a great time!

I most certainly will check the gift shop. I'm a sucker for the logo gear too :D

Nooooooo. If you want a souvenir for Bermuda, wait until you get to Bermuda. Right in the port there are many shops of authentic stuff. Go to the Glass Blowing building....amazing. Rum cake Building....amazing...Art...on and on. If you go to Hamilton, you will find everything SO expensive. Buy in port. :):):)

HI

How's your train ride going? The Union Station is beautiful. Have you arrived yet?

Following along:D

Liz:)

Train ride was nice! Comfortable and relatively quick. Got some work done and now it's time to relax!! Staying at the Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel. Not much in the immediate area to speak of, but the hotel is nice enough! Restaurant with a biiiig bar, so I will be investigating that shortly :D

Hi Kyle!

I will be following along as well. We sail on June 25 - just counting the days!

I am looking forward to your updates and pictures!

Do make sure to spend some time having fun... Enjoy!!

Thank you! Ugh two months to go for you! It's that excruciating period of time where it's right around the corner, but too early to start thinking about what to pack! :p

I will be sure to enjoy myself. Honestly, being able to share it with other enthusiasts like all of you will make it all the more fun!

Nooooooo. If you want a souvenir for Bermuda, wait until you get to Bermuda. Right in the port there are many shops of authentic stuff. Go to the Glass Blowing building....amazing. Rum cake Building....amazing...Art...on and on. If you go to Hamilton, you will find everything SO expensive. Buy in port. :):):)

Yes! The glass-making place is high on my list of to-do's. It's kind of funny to hear you say that the port area is cheaper, it's usually exactly the opposite!

Yes! The glass-making place is high on my list of to-do's. It's kind of funny to hear you say that the port area is cheaper, it's usually exactly the opposite!

You are right, but not in this case. Hamilton is the biggest rip off. You may as well be on 5th Ave or Hollywood Blvd. Terrible.

The stores and shops in the port are great.....and I love the free trolley that takes you up and down the strip. (hop on hop off)

Train ride was nice! Comfortable and relatively quick. Got some work done and now it's time to relax!! Staying at the Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel. Not much in the immediate area to speak of, but the hotel is nice enough! Restaurant with a biiiig bar, so I will be investigating that shortly :D

LOL glad they have a nice biiiiig bar:D.

I was wondering if you have a chance could you check in the Clock Tower where all the shops are if they have next years calendars out. I am looking for The Bermuda Colours Calendar. With Diana Amos watercolors.

Thank You~~

Have a great time!! Bermuda is sooo beautiful. The colors will amaze you.

Definitely will post the compasses guys :)

It's a wine and packing kind of night:

5BD28BAE-4F9A-4892-8E59-F2E74802AE05_zpsgqnnhixn.jpg

Yes I'm a "roller" :p For a 5-night cruise I am packing WAY too much! I'd rather have too many options than too few haha.

Great packing job!!!!!! My luggage has never even come close to looking that organized :(

I was wondering if you have a chance could you check in the Clock Tower where all the shops are if they have next years calendars out. I am looking for The Bermuda Colours Calendar. With Diana Amos watercolors.

Thank You~~

Have a great time!! Bermuda is sooo beautiful. The colors will amaze you.

Hi Liz - I'll try to remember to do this!