Anthem of the Seas - 5-night Bermuda Inaugural - LIVE-ISH Blog!

Hi Kyle - Were Spa Junior Suites allowed to use the Coastal Kitchen for breakfast and lunch as well? Also, would you recommend going to Coastal Kitchen for dinner in lieu of the complimentary restaurants? I have all the specialty restaurants reserved as well, but I wasn't sure what would be best for the remaining nights. Seems most are not too impressed with the four dinning rooms.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Rick! Spa Junior and regular Junior Suites are not allowed to use Coastal Kitchen for breakfast and lunch. At least, that is what is posted in the rules. That being said, we never asked if we could and I'm not sure whether they would bend the rules if the crowds are light.

As far as recommending Coastal Kitchen for dinner over the four main restaurants, YES! In my opinion (and also that of the companions I ate with) the quality of the food was clearly superior. The appeal of dynamic dining to me is the variety of menu choices that four distinct restaurants provides. Each restaurant also has two menus, which they rotate every 4 days or so, to provide even MORE choice! Where it comes up a bit short in my opinion is the quality of the food. If I think about it objectively, it is standard MDR-quality, or close to it, but because each restaurant is branded as separate and unique (which previously meant it was a specialty restaurant) I think the average guest's inclination is to expect higher food quality. Just taking a guess but I wonder whether this is part of the reason the reviews of the four restaurants have been somewhat disappointing.

What I would recommend is to go up to the CK reservation desk on embarkation day and ask them if they rotate their menu like the other restaurants do. If so, ask when during your cruise that will happen. That should allow you to book CK hopefully twice, enjoy the better quality of the food and still have the variety of two different menus.

Hope this helps!

Edited by CapitalKyle

Hi Rick! Spa Junior and regular Junior Suites are not allowed to use Coastal Kitchen for breakfast and lunch. At least, that is what is posted in the rules. That being said, we never asked if we could and I'm not sure whether they would bend the rules if the crowds are light.

As far as recommending Coastal Kitchen for dinner over the four main restaurants, YES! In my opinion (and also that of the companions I ate with) the quality of the food was clearly superior. The appeal of dynamic dining to me is the variety of menu choices that four distinct restaurants provides. Each restaurant also has two menus, which they rotate every 4 days or so, to provide even MORE choice! Where it comes up a bit short in my opinion is the quality of the food. If I think about it objectively, it is standard MDR-quality, or close to it, but because each restaurant is branded as separate and unique (which previously meant it was a specialty restaurant) I think the average guest's inclination is to expect higher food quality. Just taking a guess but I wonder whether this is part of the reason the reviews of the four restaurants have been somewhat disappointing.

What I would recommend is to go up to the CK reservation desk on embarkation day and ask them if they rotate their menu like the other restaurants do. If so, ask when during your cruise that will happen. That should allow you to book CK hopefully twice, enjoy the better quality of the food and still have the variety of two different menus.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Kyle. Your thoughts are much appreciated!

I just booked my mom and I into a spa junior suite in September. Were you happy with the room? It looks amazing, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should have gone with the Grand Suite. I figured with a 5 night, this cabin would be great though. Thanks for the review and all the recommendations you've provided. Definitely can't wait to go now

I just booked my mom and I into a spa junior suite in September. Were you happy with the room? It looks amazing, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should have gone with the Grand Suite. I figured with a 5 night, this cabin would be great though. Thanks for the review and all the recommendations you've provided. Definitely can't wait to go now

I LOVED the room! Now, this was my first taste of a suite so I can't compare it to any others, but I thought it was absolutely perfect for a 5-nighter. Anything larger with more bells and whistles may be wasted on a 5-night cruise because there's already so much to do and see on the ship that you won't feel you have enough time to properly enjoy that suite! That said, I loved the bathroom, which to me was the big difference between the SJS and a standard balcony room. The capsule rain shower and separate soaking tub, the finishes (faux marble and nickel) and the frosted glass window to let in natural light were all really nice touches. Pictures really don't do the bathroom justice haha :p

Hope this helps!

The menu is different for lunch too right? I noticed that it is open day 1 and thought it would be a good way to get away from the crowds who tend to go to Windjammers

Thanks! Large (29") ones? or just the medium size. Just trying to figure out what to bring for our 9night cruise.. and I'd like to be able to hide them under the bed, out of the way. We have 4 of us staying in the stateroom.

I had a large, hard-shell suitcase.... I believe it is 28".

The menu is different for lunch too right? I noticed that it is open day 1 and thought it would be a good way to get away from the crowds who tend to go to Windjammers

To be honest I am not sure about lunch vs. dinner menus for Coastal Kitchen. Since only Grand Suite and up are allowed to dine at CK for breakfast and lunch we did not get the chance to check that out.

Ck is indeed open on Embarkation day.

To be honest I am not sure about lunch vs. dinner menus for Coastal Kitchen. Since only Grand Suite and up are allowed to dine at CK for breakfast and lunch we did not get the chance to check that out.

CK has only 2 menus for lunch and 7 menus for dinner. On night 8, they will rotate back to the dinner menu for night 1 and so on.

Great pictures and great review! Thanks for the hard work.

Are you still planning to post your photos of the on-board art work?

Have a great holiday weekend.

Alan

Yes I will and thank you for the reminder! Life has been a bit hectic lately :o

Kyle, I understand how quickly life can get hectic. I was scheduled tomorrow to do a wrap-up panel at an all-day event at Stevens Institute of Technology (helping out a friend who teaches there.) Easy work. Listen to the presentations, then try to pull it all together (with 2 other panelists) at the end of the day. But 30 minutes ago, I got an email telling me that the person doing the last session (75 minutes) just cancelled, and they need me to do that session, too. So I have this afternoon to generate an hour-long presentation that will cover some of what the person who dropped-out would have covered (and I'm guessing at that) and have a PowerPoint ready. So what should have been a relatively peaceful day finalizing my testimony for a Department of Labor security presentation next week, suddenly became very pressured!

Glad you'll post the artwork photos.

Thanks for all the hard work on your postings!

Alan

Thoroughly enjoying your review - we went to Bermuda on the Breakaway two years ago (loved it!) and have been wanting to go back ever since. We really liked the Breakaway, but I prefer trying new ships so long as the itinerary is something we like, with the biggest added bonus of course.. sailing from home. Only wish Anthem was a two-day overnight like the Breakaway, but I suppose we'll make do ;)

We always travel with a big family group ranging ages 25-50 something year olds. One of the things we really enjoyed a lot on Breakaway was the nightly themed dance parties on the aft upper deck. Does Anthem have a similar 'outdoor' nightlife?

Edited by VickiD59

Thoroughly enjoying your review - we went to Bermuda on the Breakaway two years ago (loved it!) and have been wanting to go back ever since. We really liked the Breakaway, but I prefer trying new ships so long as the itinerary is something we like, with the biggest added bonus of course.. sailing from home. Only wish Anthem was a two-day overnight like the Breakaway, but I suppose we'll make do ;)

We always travel with a big family group ranging ages 25-50 something year olds. One of the things we really enjoyed a lot on Breakaway was the nightly themed dance parties on the aft upper deck. Does Anthem have a similar 'outdoor' nightlife?

Anthem of the Seas has parties virtually every night, but they are mainly in the Music Hall or other inside venues like the Sea Plex or the Solarium. Here are copies of the 5 Day Bermuda Cruise Compass detailing all of the entertainment and events onboard.

Anthem of the Seas has parties virtually every night, but they are mainly in the Music Hall or other inside venues like the Sea Plex or the Solarium. Here are copies of the 5 Day Bermuda Cruise Compass detailing all of the entertainment and events onboard.

Thank you for replying on my behalf RCI_Fan, I haven't checked the thread in awhile. I can back up what you said, there are parties every night although I would say some are more successful than others. The parties in Music Hall always seemed to last longer and burn brighter, so to speak. The night they had what I think was the glow party in SeaPlex, it was dead and we left within minutes. What I was hoping to see, that they did on Oasis when I sailed her in 2014, was turn the Solarium into a big nightclub for one night. Perhaps they do this on Anthem as well on longer cruises? Not sure. No outdoor parties to speak of, unfortunately, as there is limited outdoor space on this class of ship to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...
What is your opinion on the 5 night. I have one booked for next year. Was 5 nights enough for you on this ship to experience all the features it has to offer?

All things considered, I thought 5 nights was suitable and I would do it again. I would have preferred more, but I did not feel as if I was cheated out of an experience by not having enough time. I was able to experience all of the shows, and to spend at least some time in the areas of the ship I really liked (North Star, Solarium, Two70, Music Hall, SeaPlex, Esplanade...)

One area where 5 nights is definitively not enough time is for dining, especially if you have access to Coastal Kitchen. If you are interested in sampling the menus of all of the "main dining rooms" that's 4 nights right there, leaving you only one night left to try either Coastal Kitchen, Wonderland, Jaime's Italian, Chops, etc... We had to fit Jaime's, Michael's Genuine Pub and Izumi in for lunch just to make sure we got to try them. That's not even considering Solarium Bistro, Chef's Table or a night at the Windjammer for dinner. Add the fact that the main dining rooms rotate menus at least once per cruise and you really start to feel like you're missing out!

All things considered, I thought 5 nights was suitable and I would do it again. I would have preferred more, but I did not feel as if I was cheated out of an experience by not having enough time. I was able to experience all of the shows, and to spend at least some time in the areas of the ship I really liked (North Star, Solarium, Two70, Music Hall, SeaPlex, Esplanade...)

One area where 5 nights is definitively not enough time is for dining, especially if you have access to Coastal Kitchen. If you are interested in sampling the menus of all of the "main dining rooms" that's 4 nights right there, leaving you only one night left to try either Coastal Kitchen, Wonderland, Jaime's Italian, Chops, etc... We had to fit Jaime's, Michael's Genuine Pub and Izumi in for lunch just to make sure we got to try them. That's not even considering Solarium Bistro, Chef's Table or a night at the Windjammer for dinner. Add the fact that the main dining rooms rotate menus at least once per cruise and you really start to feel like you're missing out!

Thanks Kyle

I have a question regarding the dining schedule. We are doing the Dynamic Classic for which I know we'll receive a rotation schedule of restaurants. Will that full schedule be given to us Day 1, or do we find out each day where we'll be eating? Rather than repeat a restaurant, we'd like to reserve another place for dinner, but I am afraid I will not have ample time to do so.

Thanks in advance! :)

I have a question regarding the dining schedule. We are doing the Dynamic Classic for which I know we'll receive a rotation schedule of restaurants. Will that full schedule be given to us Day 1, or do we find out each day where we'll be eating? Rather than repeat a restaurant, we'd like to reserve another place for dinner, but I am afraid I will not have ample time to do so.

Thanks in advance! :)

You receive your full schedule on day 1.