Gratuity Nights or Days

• 4 months later...
It's by the number of nights you spend on the ship.

Is this new? I sailed with Carnival a few years back and don't remember a separate nightly mandatory gratuity charge........:mad: Just saw it in the fine print on my SetSail package.........I mean $189 extra isn't going to break the bank but I was a tad surprised when I saw it.

Is this new? I sailed with Carnival a few years back and don't remember a separate nightly mandatory gratuity charge........:mad: Just saw it in the fine print on my SetSail package.........I mean $189 extra isn't going to break the bank but I was a tad surprised when I saw it.

Its not mandatory. Carnival along with Royal Caribbean and most all other mass market cruise lines have been doing it for years or at least since Ive been cruising anyway. None of them are "mandatory" though. Although I would never think of doing it, you are welcome to go to Guest Services and have those charges removed.

Edited by ryano

Its not mandatory. Carnival along with Royal Caribbean and most all other mass market cruise lines have been doing it for years or at least since Ive been cruising anyway. None of them are "mandatory" though. Although I would never think of doing it, you are welcome to go to Guest Services and have those charges removed.

I guess I am showing my age. My cruises were mainly in 90s and early 2000s....We just gave housekeepers $100 each and tipped stewards nightly. I guess this is the new way! #progress :D

I see you are from the UK. Those little tip envelopes are now only available at Guest Services to add extra or to give to someone who went out of their way, like a bartender who made you happy, etc.

Now the tips are done automatically for your convenience. Most of us in the USA would not even think about removing them unless you never had fresh towels or your waiter never gave you a menu. This actually happened on Hal once. DH sat through dinner several times watching our table eat. Asking for a menu many times did not help. That was the only time the dining staff did not get a tip. He had to go to the buffet after dinner 3 times on a 10 day cruise. Talking to the Maitre,D did not help.

Other then that, the crew work very hard and the tipping is well deserved.

I see you are from the UK. Those little tip envelopes are now only available at Guest Services to add extra or to give to someone who went out of their way, like a bartender who made you happy, etc.

Now the tips are done automatically for your convenience. Most of us in the USA would not even think about removing them unless you never had fresh towels or your waiter never gave you a menu. This actually happened on Hal once. DH sat through dinner several times watching our table eat. Asking for a menu many times did not help. That was the only time the dining staff did not get a tip. He had to go to the buffet after dinner 3 times on a 10 day cruise. Talking to the Maitre,D did not help.

Other then that, the crew work very hard and the tipping is well deserved.

I'm an expatriate. Originally from Florida. 😀