Blackout drapes on Mariner?

JennAngel9

Drapes worked almost too well for us - we actually left them open a crack as it helped to have a bit of light if necessary to get up during the night. You might consider a sleep mask if you are very light-sensitive.

Thanks, this is super helpful!

I'm actually wearing a sleep mask at night at home while we wait for our black out drapes to be installed, but on our trip we will have our toddler in tow and I don't think I can get her to wear an eye mask. ;)

Depending on your suite set-up and if child is in a crib or pack-n-play' you could arrange a sheet around the crib to block out some light. Lots of suggestions on the Family boards here @ CC. Or just start gradually increasing the light exposure so the little one gets used to sleeping when it's light. Start with a very low watt nightlight and bump up the wattage over the coming weeks.

JennAngel9...

In several of the Mariner Suites, there is not only the set of curtains on the sliding doors to the deck, but also a set of curtains that separate the sleeping area from the "living room" area....so you really have 2 sets of curtains keeping the light out.

I also have to have things dark, and have not had a problem on the Mariner.

If you look at the suite photos on the Regent site, you can see the curtains.

Bill

Edited by BBfromCA

Kwaj girl-- our baby has always woken with the sun and she simply sleeps much less at night as the days get longer unless we black out the room. It's possible we could eventually break her of this with the strategy you suggest, but there are some health studies indicating that sleeping in the dark and melatonin regulation are important for long term health, plus with only a few weeks to go I don't want to rock the boat before we leave.

RachelG- our daughter isn't quite talking in sentences yet, but that's definitely the look she gives us "what? it's light out, it's play time!"

BB from CA- thanks for the input. I think we'd prefer to have her on the opposite side of the drapes from us but if we get desperate a second layer can't hurt! I've actually set up the travel crib in closets and bathrooms before when they are big enough and we generally travel with a roll of aluminum foil and tape for emergency window blackout jobs-- but obviously that won't work on balcony doors very well. ;)

The outer black drape and covering fabric close in the center with velcro. If the ship has not had it refit by the time you sail, take some masking tape with you so that you can be sure to get them closed and light tight. There will still be some light at the bottom and you can use a few towels to block that out too.

j

A tip that I have used for years is to use the skirt/pant hangers to keep the room dark. It has made a big difference in many hotel rooms.

Old fashion cloth line clips work as well.

41KqG61bU7L._SY355_.jpg

Thanks JMariner! Good to know that we may need to use a little extra creativity to get the drapes all the way closed.

Ron&Sue, we have done the same thing in the past as long as there is enough extra fabric!