Increase in tips and suite perks

belkin

You do realize that that comes across as very dismissive and arrogant, right? LOL. But we'll move along.

Actually not meant that way. Nothing left to discuss, sometimes discussions get out of hand. Try to keep it friendly, that's all.

You do realize that that comes across as very dismissive and arrogant, right? LOL. But we'll move along.

How else it should be worded? Hearing the same conspiracy theory when it comes to gratuities does get old especially when it has been addressed time and time again by Carnival that what you allege is simply not true. The most recent being today by JH via FB.

There is no mass deception by the big, bad Corporation as some keep choosing to believe. Therefore, it shouldn't even need to be discussed. You can continue down the path of pessimism and skepticism if you wish. Maybe you could write Carnival a letter asking them to explain the portion of gratuities that you question. Anyway, I think it is time to put this to bed and continue on.

With that I leave you with this post from JH again for the second time today. Happy cruising, everyone!

014be9757bf6a96191f760201ac4314c.jpg

Been reported so many times in print if it were not it would have come out. You can either believe or not.

There IS gossip online about cruiselines (NOT just Carnival) and gratuities. I certainly don't want to believe it, and I am not using any doubts I may have as an excuse not to tip. I enjoy tipping.

But, if it is true that stewards are now servicing 35 cabins with an average of three guests, it seems unlikely that a steward and an assistant receive $2,700 a week in tips, or about $3,000 after the upcoming tip increase. (Presuming that extra tips just make up for tip-removers.) I am interested in the math, so that I can make sense of this. Do they really have 35 cabins now? How is the money divided with assistants? Does part of the money pay other workers who provide cabin-related services, like laundry or maintenance? Does it pay for insurance and benefits? If you have all that information, please share. :)

How else it should be worded? Hearing the same conspiracy theory when it comes to gratuities does get old especially when it has been addressed time and time again by Carnival that what you allege is simply not true. The most recent being today by JH via FB.

There is no mass deception by the big, bad Corporation as some keep choosing to believe. Therefore, it shouldn't even need to be discussed. You can continue down the path of pessimism and skepticism if you wish. Maybe you could write Carnival a letter asking them to explain the portion of gratuities that you question. Anyway, I think it is time to put this to bed and continue on.

With that I leave you with this post from JH again for the second time today. Happy cruising, everyone!

014be9757bf6a96191f760201ac4314c.jpg

Well said. Better sometimes to just leave things alone. Facts don't matter in this thread.

I'm fine with the increased gratuity. And have every confidence that it goes to the right people. They deserve what they get plus some.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Well said. Better sometimes to just leave things alone. Facts don't matter in this thread.

I'm fine with the increased gratuity. And have every confidence that it goes to the right people. They deserve what they get plus some.

Facts do matter. That's why believing everything that the company spokesperson says is like asking the serial killer if he did it. JH is paid good money to parrot the official company line. Would you expect anything else from him?

Believe me most of us have confidence it goes to the right people. There's always a few nut cases here that are just trying to stir the pot. Guess it's ok to let them have their fun no matter how foolish they look doing it.

Facts do matter. That's why believing everything that the company spokesperson says is like asking the serial killer if he did it. JH is paid good money to parrot the official company line. Would you expect anything else from him?

Innocent until proven guilty. Until facts prove otherwise, it's all here say and speculation. If Carnival was guilty of embezzling gratuities, you can bet your butt it would have gotten out. And if not convicted in a court of law, they would most certainly be in the court of personal opinion and they would be sunk. Please come back when you have irrefutable, concrete evidence. Case dismissed.

Innocent until proven guilty. Until facts prove otherwise, it's all here say and speculation. If Carnival was guilty of embezzling gratuities, you can bet your butt it would have gotten out. And if not convicted in a court of law, they would most certainly be in the court of personal opinion and they would be sunk. Please come back when you have irrefutable, concrete evidence. Case dismissed.

That was a very impressive ruling, fireman Bob's wife. Thank you.

That was a very impressive ruling, fireman Bob's wife. Thank you.

You're very welcome. As a fellow CC member, I will wave your court fees this time. However, if I see you again for the same thing, I'm going to charge double and you will be ordered to prepay all your gratuities from here on out. [emoji6]

I don't think the cruiselines are embezzling and I don't mean to stir the pot. The discussions of tip math just made me curious about exactly where it all goes, because the numbers being thrown around suggested stewards are rolling in cash, which I don't think is true. I don't think it would be "embezzling" to use the tips for employees performing related services, to pay for insurance/benefits/etc., or to take a small administrative fee for collecting, managing, and dividing the tips. Everything I've seen from the cruiselines is pretty vague about the details, so I don't feel guests are being lied to. I don't believe the worst rumors and gossip. I was just hoping someone might know all the details. :confused:

Edited by KatieCharlotte

I don't think the cruiselines are embezzling and I don't mean to stir the pot. The discussions of tip math just made me curious about exactly where it all goes, because the numbers being thrown around suggested stewards are rolling in cash, which I don't think is true. I don't think it would be "embezzling" to use the tips for employees performing related services, to pay for insurance/benefits/etc., or to take a small administrative fee for collecting, managing, and dividing the tips. Everything I've seen from the cruiselines is pretty vague about the details, so I don't feel guests are being lied to. I don't believe the worst rumors and gossip. I was just hoping someone might know all the details. :confused:

I'm like you. I just see a lot of creative math and black science. LOL.

This is from Carnival's website. Hopefully it helps answer some of your questions.

SERVICE GRATUITIES (TIPS)

It is customary to extend gratuities (tips) to the shipboard staff for their services. How much to tip is a personal matter and completely up to our guests.

Our recommended guideline to what is appropriate is $12.00 USD per person, per day (for cruises departing through and including August 31, 2016). The majority of the tipping amount goes to employees such as the stateroom steward, assistant steward, dining room waiter and assistant waiter. A small portion goes to a mix of other personnel who are in guest-facing customer service positions within areas such as culinary and hotel services, along with certain key positions in entertainment and guest services.

Please note, effective for all cruises departing on or after September 1, 2016, the recommended gratuities amount will increase from $12.00 USD to $12.95 USD per person, per day for guests in standard stateroom accommodations and to $13.95 USD per person, per day for guests booked in suites. If your gratuities are pre-paid by May 9, 2016, you will not be subject to the increased amount.

For your information, tipping applies regardless of the dining options selected, such as eating at the casual dining restaurant or open seating dining.

For beverage purchases, an automatic15% gratuity will be added to the bill and the charges will be applied directly to the guest's Sail & Sign account.. An automatic 15% gratuity will be added to the cover charge of the Chef’s Table and the charges will be applied directly to the guest’s Sail & Sign account. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered.

I am not thrilled with the prospect of tipping more if service is going to be cut back to once a day. Couple that fact with on a couple of our last few cruises I have tipped very little to room stewards at the end. I've waited tables and bartended back in the day. I know the long hours and customers service...so I am a tipper. HOWEVER in any job where tipping is expected the person who is expecting a tip should 1. Introduce themselves 2. ask what can I get you/do you have any requests? 3. complete in a timely manner 4. don't roll your eyes/ complain about your work/customers/life or that you don't have enough time

We've been given many excuses for why a room steward wasn't doing his/her job. One cruise we finally saw the steward on Day 2 and on another cruise it was Day 3. We've had them not answer the phone when you call for the cabin steward.

Don't forget though... there is usually at least one assistant, sometimes two. According to Carnival . com, capacity is just over 3,000 and it looks like there are about 1440 cabins - that's an average of just over 2 per cabin. So if a team of two had 30 cabins - that would be about 63 passengers. Tips would be about $260/day for both. An even split would be $130/day. Sure, some tip extra... but others remove the tips and tip nothing. I have no idea if more tip extra or if more remove tips. I know that a good waitress in a decent restaurant can make that in tips in one quick dinner service.

We cruise four to a cabin. Our tips for an upcoming 8 day, of which we have saved for three years to take, will be over $400. We settled for an OV, and likely will be driving from the Midwest to save $. (That's a 24hour drive for us.) My husband works seven days a week cutting and boxing sandpaper for a major US company and doesn't make anywhere the amount that stewards would make based on numbers being thrown around here. If I took a trip to any other vacation place, say that certain ears place, we wouldn't tip $50 ...... money comes so hard nowadays. I get that the stewards are busy and work long/hard hours -- so does my husband. I think stewards are being compensated much better than we are led to believe. Do the higher-ups really get part of the tips??

You also must remember that employees do not work all 12 months of the year per their contracts, and often have very low-paying jobs back at home. This job provides the majority of their income.

We went to a Q & A on the cruise we just got home from this weekend. We learned that the base pay for most of these non-salaried employees is $150 per month, so tips are practically their entire income.

We have done 3 cruises now, and have never not been greeted by our steward almost immediately after getting on the ship.

I have decided that some cruisers are always on the lookout for something to be displeased about.

We always tip our steward when we get on the boat and again at the end if he (or she) has done a good job, and we have always received excellent service.

It amazes me that some of the people who get most upset about a 95 cent per day increase in tips will pay $$ for FTTF.

If they added them into the fare, you'd have to pay tax on it. You really don't want that. And your sentiments are exactly what enables them to keep raising rates and making cuts. They'll keep jacking up prices and making cuts until they get some pushback. Then they'll know that they've reached the threshold of what their market will bear, and stop.

Why would you have to pay tax on it, and what tax are you referring to?

The cruiseline would have to pay additional money to travel agents for commission unless they figured out a way to add the cost of the tips/service charge into the non commission side of the ledger.

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

wow, that is a lot of kvetching!

I already booked my cruise but it isn't until next year. Can I add the gratuities online or do I have to call to do that?

Should I have a PVP? I just book online so nobody is personally helping me.

Thanks!

Shellsd - here is the scoop. Do it before May 9 if you want to save the 95 cents a person per day more.

Gratuities are pre-arranged and can be added at the time of booking or anytime up to the sail date. If already booked, guests can contact their Travel Professional to add prepaid gratuities; if booked directly with Carnival, contact us at 800 764-7419.

Edited by Jillbu

Royal Caribbean just raised theirs too a few weeks ago. Im sure its the one does it then they all follow suit way. 7 bucks a week isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Everything else goes up , not that i like it tho

If they added them into the fare, you'd have to pay tax on it. You really don't want that. And your sentiments are exactly what enables them to keep raising rates and making cuts. They'll keep jacking up prices and making cuts until they get some pushback. Then they'll know that they've reached the threshold of what their market will bear, and stop.

OMG tax on $6! oh the humanity! Seriously is this really a big deal? If you can't pay an extra $6 on a weeklong cruise...stay home!

Edited by skidawg79