Increase in tips and suite perks

belkin

Im booked in a suite on the Splendor in 3 weeks. I sure wish I knew the details of all this. We have FTTF booked for 2 rooms and we have several cases of water being delivered. It sure would be nice to know what we need and what we dont need. I enjoy Carnival, but their communication leaves alot to be desired. (Yes, I received the same email about 5 min ago and immediately came here to get the scoop. How sad is that?)

Jaimee

If they added them into the fare, you'd have to pay tax on it. You really don't want that. And your sentiments are exactly what enables them to keep raising rates and making cuts. They'll keep jacking up prices and making cuts until they get some pushback. Then they'll know that they've reached the threshold of what their market will bear, and stop.

I agree, you don't want to have to pay tax on gratuities. I am very much against adding gratuities into the price. I don't even like that they add them automatically. I wish they would go back to putting envelopes in your cabins and personally giving crew members that have served you a tip that is appropriate based on the service received.

I got the notice today. I normally tip my room steward well because they work hard and deserve it. Just like on land, if someone deserves a nice tip, they will get one from me. In addition to keeping my cooler iced all week, they have historically done a great job with keeping the room clean every time we leave and return and they are always very friendly - and personable with the whole family. These small things go a long way in a service oriented business so they will keep getting their standard tip plus more from us.

18 months ago they increased the tips by 50 cents, now it is 95 cents more, so $1.45 raise in less than 2 years. Or a $2.45 increase for suite guests. Considering that suite perks are not all that on Carnival as they are on other lines that have a butler, etc, that is a big increase.

I will be disappointed if they go to cabin service once a day especially after raising the tips again. But probably won't effect me much after Dec. since not looking to book with Carnival in the future.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

But that same steward now collects the tips from 20 rooms when they were previously only tipped for 10.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Unless you are saying in all 20 rooms why do you care?

18 months ago they increased the tips by 50 cents, now it is 95 cents more, so $1.45 raise in less than 2 years. Or a $2.45 increase for suite guests. Considering that suite perks are not all that on Carnival as they are on other lines that have a butler, etc, that is a big increase.

I will be disappointed if they go to cabin service once a day especially after raising the tips again. But probably won't effect me much after Dec. since not looking to book with Carnival in the future.

Well there you go, another great reason to leave. Might want to check what the daily tips are on your next cruise line .....

If they added them into the fare, you'd have to pay tax on it. You really don't want that. And your sentiments are exactly what enables them to keep raising rates and making cuts. They'll keep jacking up prices and making cuts until they get some pushback. Then they'll know that they've reached the threshold of what their market will bear, and stop.

You do realize this is the principle every business uses when adjusting their pricing?

It's basic economics and is no way unique to Carnival. But nice try again in this newest incarnation.

For the record, I'd gladly pay the tax if gratuities were rolled into the base fare and therefore not able to be rescinded by passengers who simply don't want to provide a gratuity. I'd settle for a policy change that made the daily service charge non-discretionary without a major unresolved service issue, so that's what I will continue to tell every cruiseline I sail with. One line hgas already modified their policy... others will follow.

Edited by StolidCruiser

Well there you go, another great reason to leave. Might want to check what the daily tips are on your next cruise line .....

:confused:I never said I was leaving Carnival because of the tips..where did I post that?

I said it would not effect me after Dec. because I am not looking to book with Carnival in the future. It has to do with the lack of entertainment if you need to know. There are too many cruise lines out there so why would I stay with a cruise line I am disappointed with. Easy, let my wallet do the walking.

:confused:I never said I was leaving Carnival because of the tips..where did I post that?

I said it would not effect me after Dec. because I am not looking to book with Carnival in the future. It has to do with the lack of entertainment if you need to know. There are too many cruise lines out there so why would I stay with a cruise line I am disappointed with. Easy, let my wallet do the walking.

There you go, you just said it again. Why mention it if it he nothing to do with your leaving? Enjoy your other cruises.

What jacking up in prices have they done? Are they more than their competition they are no different than their competition, but your right, it's about what the market will bear.

I would like to know the breakdown. I know a lot of folks don't agree with me on this, but I prefer my tips to go to non-salaried employees... like the dining room, cabin stewards, and such. I really have no interest into them going to entertainment or the guest service desk, which from what i was told, a portion of our tips go there. They make much more money than our cabin stewards and dining teams. I left my automatic tips on the last time I cruised. But I prefer tipping in person. No, I don't diss them. I enjoy the personal touch, and making sure they get the tips i want to go to them.

:D

Knew it was coming as NCL and RCCL increased a couple of months ago. I was on a cruise with the new turn down service. No issues got morning and night as I requested. It is what it is in my opinion they earn there tips never had a reason to remove or cut there tips. Was everything perfect no but nothing is ever perfect.

Leave it to Carnival. This is disturbing.

At a time where they are trying to fool its customer into once a day service ( which I hope has lost steam since it was exposed) to try and raise tips.

And of course wondering if the increase encompasses only those individuals assigned to pamper us. Last increase, they got screwed. The biggest portion of that last increase went to Carnival payroll, as opposed to the dining staff and room stewards.

Leave it to Carnival. This is disturbing.

At a time where they are trying to fool its customer into once a day service ( which I hope has lost steam since it was exposed) to try and raise tips.

And of course wondering if the increase encompasses only those individuals assigned to pamper us. Last increase, they got screwed. The biggest portion of that last increase went to Carnival payroll, as opposed to the dining staff and room stewards.

Which part is disturbing to you? That they are the last major line to raise tips. Any facts to backup the payroll stuff?

You should book elsewhere if you are unhappy. For whatever reason. Instead of booking with Carnival then complaining. Common sense.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You should book elsewhere if you are unhappy. For whatever reason. Instead of booking with Carnival then complaining. Common sense.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Our business, if someone is unhappy, we want to know about it. We may even modify how we operate. We don't just want our other customers to tell them to go somewhere else because they are unhappy.

Our business, if someone is unhappy, we want to know about it. We may even modify how we operate. We don't just want our other customers to tell them to go somewhere else because they are unhappy.

Which cruise line do you own?