Increase in tips and suite perks

belkin

It's also a neat trick to make a statement and come back to explain it away when you're called out on it. But I'll take your word for it. And to quote Jimbo we can move on.

No neat tricks on my part so there's nothing to be called on. Go back and look at what I posted and please point out what I said wrong by agreeing with the poster I quoted. Or in any other post I made? And we can move on whenever you're ready.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If my math was correct I figure that with the $12.95 tip rate the room steward is getting around $4.15 per room per day. At 20 rooms that's about $83 a day for some seriously long hours. Would you do it? Probably not. Be grateful that they do.

How did you arrive at $4.15? At 35 rooms at double occupancy per da that would be around $290 per day, which for a 12 hour day would be around $20 per hour once you adjust for the overtime premium.

How many threads are you going to post this on?

Seems about the same amount of threads you fanatically back anything related to Carnival. You MUST be a shareholder to defend this cruiseline as if were your own family. I've just sailed in a suite for my last 2 Carnival cruises and it's a complete joke to label anything as "suite perks" in relation to what other lines offer.

And yes, in regard to what many are writing here recently, Carnival's prices HAVE been sneaking up to the same price range as the other lines. With far less entertainment options offered. I'll still sail Carnival, but I'll never be so blindly dedicated to the, that I'll confront anyone who has an opposing view. Sheesh.

That's per person, per room and they now claim to be doing about 35 rooms a day. That number is probably closer to $350-$400 per day, without actually breaking out my calculator. At that rate, even if they split the tips in half with a helper, that's $6000 a month apiece.

For you math whizzes, I based that on 3 to a cabin. ;)

Don't forget that at the end of the cruise most of the cabins will give them something extra. We normally give them an extra $20-$40 depending on service.

If my math was correct I figure that with the $12.95 tip rate the room steward is getting around $4.15 per room per day. At 20 rooms that's about $83 a day for some seriously long hours. Would you do it? Probably not. Be grateful that they do.

Amen.

Amen.

Each room holds 2-4 people--so at even $4 per day per person with 20 cabins--that's on the low end $160 and $320 on the high end. That's if they have 20 cabins--if more, add more. Plus so many say they leave an additional $20 to $100 per cabin at the end of a cruise.

So at 20 cabins for a week...that is low end $1120 and $2240 on the high end--plus lets say $500 in cash from said cabins for the week.

Each room holds 2-4 people--so at even $4 per day per person with 20 cabins--that's on the low end $160 and $320 on the high end. That's if they have 20 cabins--if more, add more. Plus so many say they leave an additional $20 to $100 per cabin at the end of a cruise.

So at 20 cabins for a week...that is low end $1120 and $2240 on the high end--plus lets say $500 in cash from said cabins for the week.

Last time I checked I only stay in one at a time. Your assumption also assumes nobody stiffs them the tip, and he or she pays an assistant.

Edited by jimbo5544

Don't forget though... there is usually at least one assistant, sometimes two. According to Carnival . com, capacity is just over 3,000 and it looks like there are about 1440 cabins - that's an average of just over 2 per cabin. So if a team of two had 30 cabins - that would be about 63 passengers. Tips would be about $260/day for both. An even split would be $130/day. Sure, some tip extra... but others remove the tips and tip nothing. I have no idea if more tip extra or if more remove tips. I know that a good waitress in a decent restaurant can make that in tips in one quick dinner service.

Last time I checked I only stay in one at a time. Your assumption also assumes nobody stiffs them the tip, and he or she pays an assistant.

That's correct. I wonder how many don't pay. And that allowed amount is split between them with the Head Room Steward getting more than their Assistant.

It's not up to me determine, nor do I care, how much they make. As far as I'm concerned, they could be taking in $70k a year and I would still think that's fair. With all the hours they work while being away from their home and families for 6-9 months at a time. No whole days off, and having to deal with many rude, sloppy, and downright nasty people on a daily basis, it's well deserved. They are better than I.

Bottom line is this - as long as they take care of my cabin, I am happy and glad to pay them the recommended amount. If they're super, they get more.

Edited by firemanbobswife

In any case, these stewards are not poor, destitute savages. They're making decent money, in spite of working long hours and not having days off. They know all that when they sign on.

No issue with, working 7 days a week 16 hours a day for 4 to 6 months. They earn what they get.

That's correct. I wonder how many don't pay. And that allowed amount is split between them with the Head Room Steward getting more than their Assistant.

It's not up to me determine, nor do I care, how much they make. As far as I'm concerned, they could be taking in $70k a year and I would still think that's fair. With all the hours they work while being away from their home and families for 6-9 months at a time. No whole days off, and having to deal with many rude, sloppy, and downright nasty people on a daily basis, it's well deserved. They are better than I.

Bottom line is this - as long as they take care of my cabin, I am happy and glad to pay them the recommended amount. If they're super, they get more.

You said it much better than me.

I agree, you don't want to have to pay tax on gratuities. I am very much against adding gratuities into the price. I don't even like that they add them automatically. I wish they would go back to putting envelopes in your cabins and personally giving crew members that have served you a tip that is appropriate based on the service received.

I agree with this. Gratuities, or tips, are supposed to be voluntary, not mandatory. If they're going to be mandatory, and of a specified amount, then stop calling them gratuities. Call them what they are really are. A non-negotiable service charge. If Carnival wants to cut back cabin service to once a day, then why should we pay more money for less service? It's not our fault if Carnival cuts back their staff and then puts more responsibilities on fewer people.

No issue with, working 7 days a week 16 hours a day for 4 to 6 months. They earn what they get.

I have no issue with how much stewards make. I am interested in the math of $3.70 (more with the increase) X number of people in the room X number of rooms serviced plus extra tips minus guests who remove tips ONLY because I want to know if it's realistic that the stewards and their assistances are actually receiving all that money.

I have no issue with how much stewards make. I am interested in the math of $3.70 (more with the increase) X number of people in the room X number of rooms serviced plus extra tips minus guests who remove tips ONLY because I want to know if it's realistic that the stewards and their assistances are actually receiving all that money.

That question haven asked and answered many times. They get it all.

It's good to be Arnold and Christine. ;)

Check post 96. Since nothing would change your mind we can move on.

I don't believe everything that I read. Especially chatter on Cruise Critic. There's too much room for abuse in their tip pool model such as "alternate services". WTH is that? $2 for you, $1 for me. :p

I don't believe everything that I read. Especially chatter on Cruise Critic. There's too much room for abuse in their tip pool model such as "alternate services". WTH is that? $2 for you, $1 for me. :p

We can move on.