Gratuities up $12.95 / 13.95 suites

LMaxwell

That's just it. They don't want to for a multitude of reasons, started with your advertised fare. In fact, I bet they'd love to tell you you can cruise free, and not tell you your sail and sign account would be $1200.

The slippery slope started when they took a $1 from you daily per person. Said it was for <this>. Then it went to $2 and then it was for <that>. No expect it next to be $5, and then keep going up. Odd, when all they could have done was add it to the fare. But when you have people, their customer, sending my defending that practice, that will keep inching along.

Kinda like a state like NJ, that pumps gas. Add a nickel per gallon to pay those attendants, and then having the customer saying sure, they deserve it, even though they already get a salary. <---hypothetical scenario for illustration.

New Jersey gas is the cheapest by far in the area, so you kind of lost me on that. Just for another iteration, their tips are still cheaper than their competition.

Actually they were significantly lower than the competition before the increase and even still a little under. What fare increases are you talking about, I have seen stability not increases for the most part.

Many of Carnival's sailings have had an increase in fares. That is why we went with Royal Caribbean for our May cruise. Royal was $400 less and came with a $200 OBC. So, Carnival is definitely going up.

Many of Carnival's sailings have had an increase in fares. That is why we went with Royal Caribbean for our May cruise. Royal was $400 less and came with a $200 OBC. So, Carnival is definitely going up.

So you found a lower price on one cruise and that is the basis of carnival def going up. Got it.

Edited by jimbo5544

The increase is no problem but the next step will be to make the tips mandatory. A step that I would support since I consider it apart of the cruise fare.

I would not support tips being mandatory. I don't even support it being automatic. Tips used to be earned, now everyone feels like it is expected.

I wish they would go back to putting envelopes in guests cabins on the last day. Then, the guest could personally deliver a tip to those crew members that deserve it. The guest could also control the amount given.

So you found a lower price on one cruise and that is the basis of carnival def going up. Got it.

Did you read that I said "Many Carnival sailings have gone up"? I look frequently and Carnival is going up compared to some other cruise lines.

Edited by cruiser fanatic

I don't understand people being upset by this increase. Carnival's daily service charge is still lower than most other lines, yet IMO, Carnival crew gives excellent service. If it is about the once a day cabin service, then I still don't understand because you still have the option of choosing both. It is less than a dollar a day! I am more than happy to pay for it. Those who don't want to pay, can either adjust it (which I find silly for the sake of 1.00 a day), or they can choose a different company, or vacation.

That's Carnivals conundrum. raise the price too much and price comparison people will simply switch to a full service line. It's like grocery shopping. If the private label it is priced too close to the national brand, many would just select the national brand.

Did you read that I said "Many Carnival sailings have gone up"? I look frequently and Carnival is going up compared to some other cruise lines.

I check them all the time as well. Guess what, that is why I questioned you because what you claim is as far from what I see (and it's my job) all the time.

I have a GS booked for this June....so I wanna know! I didn't get an email stating about gratuities like others have.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Starts in September so it does not effect you

If you book your cruises at the right times, there have been no increases in fares. I am still getting balcony cabins on Conquest and Dream class ships for between $750 and $950.00 pp every time I book. AND, this has been going on for at least 5 years. Do those prices go up as the ships get more passengers booked for a cruise? Absolutely, just like airlines and theme parks. Is the Vista more expensive? Yes it is because it is the new kid on the block. I have 5 cruises booked right now and the most expensive is $909.00 pp for a balcony. Your claim of prices going up is just a bunch of hot air, or maybe brown air.

If you book your cruises at the right times, there have been no increases in fares. I am still getting balcony cabins on Conquest and Dream class ships for between $750 and $950.00 pp every time I book. AND, this has been going on for at least 5 years. Do those prices go up as the ships get more passengers booked for a cruise? Absolutely, just like airlines and theme parks. Is the Vista more expensive? Yes it is because it is the new kid on the block. I have 5 cruises booked right now and the most expensive is $909.00 pp for a balcony. Your claim of prices going up is just a bunch of hot air, or maybe brown air.

I am not going to keep debating on whether prices are going up or not. I know that they are going up. Yes, the Dream and Vista class are going to be more expensive and I understand that because they are the bigger and newer ships. But even the cruises on the Fantasy and Conquest class have been going up.

I have a GS booked for this June....so I wanna know! I didn't get an email stating about gratuities like others have.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am still yet to receive an email as well. I found a copy of it.

“Effective for all cruises departing on or after September 1, 2016, the recommended gratuities amount will increase from $12.00 to $12.95 per person per day for guests sailing in standard staterooms and to $13.95 per person per day for guests booked in suites. In tandem with this change, in addition to priority embarkation and debarkation in all ports as well as confirmed main dining room preference, suite guests will now receive priority tender service, complimentary in-suite bottled water and one complimentary bag of laundry per voyage as well as an enhanced turndown service. Guests who pre-paid their gratuities by May 9 will not be affected by the increase.

While gratuities are automatically added to guests’ shipboard accounts, the amount can be adjusted up or down by visiting the Guest Services desk once the gratuities have been posted.

Our shipboard team members work hard to provide exceptional service so we hope our guests will agree that this minor increase is well deserved. “

Carnival has def gone up. Carnival used to be priced well below the competition, and now they are pretty close to it. My upcoming NCL Escape cruise was just a $100pp more for a brand new, state of the art ship compared to a Carnival ship thats been sailing 10+ yrs. No brainer which one to pick for me...

I am still yet to receive an email as well. I found a copy of it.

“Effective for all cruises departing on or after September 1, 2016, the recommended gratuities amount will increase from $12.00 to $12.95 per person per day for guests sailing in standard staterooms and to $13.95 per person per day for guests booked in suites. In tandem with this change, in addition to priority embarkation and debarkation in all ports as well as confirmed main dining room preference, suite guests will now receive priority tender service, complimentary in-suite bottled water and one complimentary bag of laundry per voyage as well as an enhanced turndown service. Guests who pre-paid their gratuities by May 9 will not be affected by the increase.

While gratuities are automatically added to guests’ shipboard accounts, the amount can be adjusted up or down by visiting the Guest Services desk once the gratuities have been posted.

Our shipboard team members work hard to provide exceptional service so we hope our guests will agree that this minor increase is well deserved. “

What kind of offering is that to justify a $1 increase per person per day for a suite? That borders on insulting. As well as perks that used to come with the suite, except the water, which can be bought for $4 a case. Or one better, the downgrade from a free cocktail to a free water instead, cause that's what they say the customer wants.

Carnival has def gone up. Carnival used to be priced well below the competition, and now they are pretty close to it. My upcoming NCL Escape cruise was just a $100pp more for a brand new, state of the art ship compared to a Carnival ship thats been sailing 10+ yrs. No brainer which one to pick for me...

So we agree that they are cheaper than the competition, good. And I did not know that all Carnival ships are ten years old...huh. As I recall, you sail other lines all the time. When did you last sail on Carnival?

What kind of offering is that to justify a $1 increase per person per day for a suite? That borders on insulting. As well as perks that used to come with the suite, except the water, which can be bought for $4 a case. Or one better, the downgrade from a free cocktail to a free water instead, cause that's what they say the customer wants.

Exactly. Other cruise lines offer way more suite perks then Carnival including these new perks.

Edited by cruiser fanatic

That's a very generic statement:rolleyes: How about some examples:D

There is not a doubt that other cruise lines offer more perks, some meaningful, others not so much. What is also true, is there no comparison on the cost, 2 or 3 times more expensive (and more in some cases). The real question is what value you would pay for these "perks" in comparison to the price.

Tom of Tom-n-Cheryl has posted a very good comparison of cruise line suites and perks associated with these rooms. We have stayed in every suite offering on Carnival (except a junior suite on Fantasy class which is clearly the least attractive option for a suite anyways), and we are OK with amenities.

Edited by jimbo5544

My problem is I will accept the price increase because Carnival is my line of choice but stop announcing we need to tip over and above on the PA.

John Heald and every CD "encourage" passengers to tip tip tip. Why? I have already paid mine. I refuse to pay additional service charges when the service I receive is already paid for through cruise fare and the required Service Charge every cruise line requires.