Why did the Sun not leave San Francisco?

Straight Flush

Great shots, thanks!!!!!

I don't know what they were doing today around 5:15 but it was fairly noisy. Usually it's very quiet down there.

It's more like 6 piers :confused:

SF piers are even numbered south of the Ferry Building and odd numbered north.

Where'd Pier 25 go? :eek: J/K. But Pier 5 sticks out like 2 feet. That doesn't count. My buddy runs a high end furniture building business at the the very end of Pier 33; pretty awesome to hang out down there - amazing views.

I'm glad you know that the Ferry building is the dividing spot. Most people in San Francisco say it's the Bay Bridge, which is when I point out that Pier 14 is North of the bridge. The I LOL at the look on their faces.

Edited by gcvt

I'm glad you know that the Ferry building is the dividing spot. Most people in San Francisco say it's the Bay Bridge, which is when I point out that Pier 14 is North of the bridge. The I LOL at the look on their faces.

Makes perfect sense to me that the Ferry Building would be the border between North and South piers vs. the Bay Bridge. As you probably know, the old Southern Pacific Railroad building at 1 Market Street (directly across from the Ferry Building) was the border between north and south on the railroad with regard to divisions and milepost numbers. Even today's Amtrak Coast Starlight is referred to by railroad dispatchers as Train 11 north of SF and Train 12 south of SF. Just like the piers....odd numbers north, even numbers south! ;)

When the STAR did DD at Vigor Portland OR there were a few photo opt

points to see what was being done.

The STAR did not have a good result of DD at Vigor having to be ferried to

Freeport in the Bahamas to finish the work on the Azipods (engines).

So this may explain why the DD is not being done at Portland or simply put

change in schedule to have it done somewhere else (SFO) ?

Wonder if the DD at SFO has any points to see what is being done to the

hull ? Obviously can't see what is being done inside the ship ?

What pier is the DD near ? - Don't know if there is any satellite imaging

on the internet to see it ?

Unfortunately, the pics I posted above are about as good as it gets. That's down near a little fishing pier, picnic area, jogging trail, etc. There's not really any tall hills on that side of town that would give you a better vantage point. There's some bus yards down there right off the bow, but they're highly restricted. I tried to get in again today but couldn't pull it off. Would have liked to get a pic of her from the front.

Edited by gcvt

Makes perfect sense to me that the Ferry Building would be the border between North and South piers vs. the Bay Bridge. As you probably know, the old Southern Pacific Railroad building at 1 Market Street (directly across from the Ferry Building) was the border between north and south on the railroad with regard to divisions and milepost numbers. Even today's Amtrak Coast Starlight is referred to by railroad dispatchers as Train 11 north of SF and Train 12 south of SF. Just like the piers....odd numbers north, even numbers south! ;)

Ya nailed it BEAV :) Wish more people knew the history of this city but they don't care. Sad.

Edited by gcvt

Swung down there today to have a look...

7992-albums737-picture30723.jpg

These pics just reminded me of one of the problems encountered with cruise ships in BAE SF. That crane on the near (starboard) wing wall isn't really tall enough to reach the funnel area and top decks on that side, so it requires some logistical planning to get things done. When we reflagged the Sky to the Pride of Aloha, the crane couldn't reach high enough on this side to raise the new logo for the funnel. They were actually considering using a helicopter to lower it into position until I told the pilot he would be hovering in the exhaust gas coming from the running generator. We finally had to rig up hoists and drag the darned thing up a couple of decks and then repair the handrails we bashed doing it.

The Sun was originally going to dry dock in Portland, but it was later changed to San Francisco when the amount of time in dry dock time was shortened. Some of the info on the Port of SF website was not updated and still listed the ship as departing for Portland yesterday. But as chengkp75 posted she is at BAE systems dry dock in SF.

Well the RCCL Anthem of the Seas is in PDX now.

GCVT- Thank you for the pics!

Unlike Vigor's DD at Portland where there are a multitude of observation/photo ops

it appears that BAE's at SFO presents a limited starboard side viewing from land

unless you out on the water and would be better with viewing point high

enough to peer down into the bottom of the DD.

Thanks again for satisfying (photos) the curiosity of the cat.

When we reflagged the Sky to the Pride of Aloha, the crane couldn't reach high enough on this side to raise the new logo for the funnel. They were actually considering using a helicopter to lower it into position until I told the pilot he would be hovering in the exhaust gas coming from the running generator. We finally had to rig up hoists and drag the darned thing up a couple of decks and then repair the handrails we bashed doing it.

All that work only for that new logo to get trashed at Freeport in July 2008 :(

I'm always amazed by your Sky/Aloha anecdotes. NCL America is definitely a cruise industry tale for the ages.

Occasionally the workers will post pics on Facebook, the following are the 2 that I checked often during POA drydock in Feb/March. I see just a few pics of the Sun.....:)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bae-Systems-Ship-Yard/170228426342390

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pier-70-San-Francisco/203093049735992?fref=ts&rf=136135793108668

Feel free to do more sleuthing... love shipyard pictures and seeing a ship getting re-done. Sometimes I watch the ones getting scrapped (those are some sad times... :()!

Thanks again for sharing! :)

Here is a screenshot of a question I asked directly to a current Ncl Sun crew member

d744e1c2dfc56673526f5e0d1841b7c5.jpg

I crossed out her face and screen name so she won't get in trouble.

Occasionally the workers will post pics on Facebook, the following are the 2 that I checked often during POA drydock in Feb/March. I see just a few pics of the Sun.....:)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bae-Systems-Ship-Yard/170228426342390

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pier-70-San-Francisco/203093049735992?fref=ts&rf=136135793108668

Will have to check these out when I get in. Work bans FB. I can't imagine why?! :rolleyes:;) Thanks for the links! :)