Wait List - what are our chances of success ?

machotspur

Hello there !

My wife and I are on the Wait List for a PH Suite on Sirena, sailing from Rome on 29th August 2016.

Our agent tells us that we are No’s 2/3/1 on the waitlist for PH1/PH2/PH3 respectively.

The period where heavy cancellation penalties start to kick in, is in approximately 4 weeks time. I’m therefore going on the assumption that if anyone is going to cancel other than for enforced reasons (e.g. medical, family emergency etc) then they are likely to do so in the next 4 weeks.

Does anyone out there have any experience of being on a wait list, and can guide us on the likelihood of us benefiting from a cancellation in the next 4 weeks ?

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Hello there !

My wife and I are on the Wait List for a PH Suite on Sirena, sailing from Rome on 29th August 2016.

Our agent tells us that we are No’s 2/3/1 on the waitlist for PH1/PH2/PH3 respectively.

The period where heavy cancellation penalties start to kick in, is in approximately 4 weeks time. I’m therefore going on the assumption that if anyone is going to cancel other than for enforced reasons (e.g. medical, family emergency etc) then they are likely to do so in the next 4 weeks.

Does anyone out there have any experience of being on a wait list, and can guide us on the likelihood of us benefiting from a cancellation in the next 4 weeks ?

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Keep in mind that you're reaching a primarily North American audience when posting on this Forum and the rules are slightly different here; but on this side of the pond, they tell us that being on a wait list with a deposit secures first crack at any cabins (or in this case, Penthouses) which may open up.

If you have made a deposit, so much the better, if not, I think that you may fairly assume that those who already have will get in first.

Even then, it may not be too late, why not call in and check if deposits are still being accepted?

(Note) Refusal to accept deposits for a specific room category (at least in the USA) is an indication that the cruise line believes, based on historical data, that cancellations will not cover the wait list.

Keep in mind that you're reaching a primarily North American audience when posting on this Forum and the rules are slightly different here; but on this side of the pond, they tell us that being on a wait list with a deposit secures first crack at any cabins (or in this case, Penthouses) which may open up.

If you have made a deposit, so much the better, if not, I think that you may fairly assume that those who already have will get in first.

Even then, it may not be too late, why not call in and check if deposits are still being accepted?

(Note) Refusal to accept deposits for a specific room category (at least in the USA) is an indication that the cruise line believes, based on historical data, that cancellations will not cover the wait list.

Thank you for your response.

Yes - I have paid a refundable Wait List deposit - £500 I think. I too have been told that I receive preferential position on the Wait List and I understand that those above me (on the PH1/2 Wait List) have also paid the deposit.

It sounds like you're in a good position for success -- but then again, you can never predict how many cancellations will occur. A friend was #1 on the waitlist for a Vista on Marina but didn't get it. That WAS a well-sold cruise, however.

Good luck.

Mura

We've been on Wait Lists 4 times. Were successful 3 of them. And you're correct, Oceania essentially has 2 Wait Lists, one for those who have money down (1st priority), and one for those who don't (2nd priority). Glad you have money down. And I'd agree that nearing final payment date is a good time to ascend up the wait list, as people decide "am I going to pony up the balance and go on the cruise or not!" You're pretty close on the lists; I think you'll be successful. Good luck!