Hair salon

Real girly question here!!! Anyone know prices for hair salon - thinking blow dry - can't see them online. Assume you have to v real quick as well to make appointments or can you do online? Thanks

Very expensive, with lots of hard sell. A couple of years ago it cost me £57 for a cut and blow dry. Price they quoted on a list was probably just for the scissors as everything they asked if I wanted I said no, and it still cost the above. Came out of OBS ,but I would not go in there again. They are not employed by the ship by the way.

Don't think you can do on line. They can be busy on formal nights doing updos, otherwise I have never seen them very busy.

A friend of mine paid a mint to have just a blow dry and was very disappointed. She did it herself the next time and it looked much better. Don't get too excited about it, Whitechapel in case you are also disappointed. And she had no problems getting an appointment. Lots of hard sell too.

Edited by Scriv

I've booked online for Oceana Italian cruise. For a formal night, £30 for wash and style/blow dry. Not too bad a price but haven't had it done yet so can't feedback till then.

Main thing is when you come back let us know how much you ended up being charged. I think I was quoted £30 to start with and ended up paying double...

I have only been once - on Arcadia - never again

I asked for a price for a cut and blow dry and was given one - I can't remember the amounts

On the day when I went to pay it was a lot more. I was told this was because they had quoted me for chin length hair and mine was closer to shoulder length

There was also a sizable gratuity added in such a way that it would have been awkward to take it off

I had gel nails done once and they were fairly hopeless. I also had individual eyelashes put on that are supposed to last weeks, hilariously they were all over my pillow the next morning and I thought I'd slept on a spider [emoji102]

On Celebrity Eclipse last year we sat next to a couple in their late 30s with a young daughter one night

We got chatting and the wife was lovely - really friendly and bubbly

She told me that she had gone for a facial that afternoon as a holiday treat.

She had a terrible time as the beautician kept going on at how bad her skin was ( it wasn't - it was normal) and how she needed a few hundred dollars worth of products just to make it look ok. Needless to say she didn't buy these products but the facial was ruined and she didn't get the treat she wanted

Why oh why don't the cruise lines have affordable salons without the hard sell

Real girly question here!!! Anyone know prices for hair salon - thinking blow dry - can't see them online. Assume you have to v real quick as well to make appointments or can you do online? Thanks

Shampoo & blow-dry costs £41 + 10% tip -

My daughter, 22, is a hairdresser and was thinking about doing cruise salon work - but not now. What an awful environment to work in where it's all about sales pressure and not customer satisfaction. I'm sure some of the spa staff are excellent and take a pride in their work, but it makes you wonder... P&O sound like they've missed a real opportunity to create a quality service with good products, no hard sell (soft sell works much better if you like and trust your stylist/beautician) and at competitive prices. Surely it's better to have a busy salon full of happy cruisers paying a fair price than a half empty one? Threads like this have done them no favours in getting people to book appointments - I certainly won't in future, and was looking forward to using up a bit of our OBC in June. I'd rather spend it in the shops now...

My daughter, 22, is a hairdresser and was thinking about doing cruise salon work - but not now. What an awful environment to work in where it's all about sales pressure and not customer satisfaction. I'm sure some of the spa staff are excellent and take a pride in their work, but it makes you wonder... P&O sound like they've missed a real opportunity to create a quality service with good products, no hard sell (soft sell works much better if you like and trust your stylist/beautician) and at competitive prices. Surely it's better to have a busy salon full of happy cruisers paying a fair price than a half empty one? Threads like this have done them no favours in getting people to book appointments - I certainly won't in future, and was looking forward to using up a bit of our OBC in June. I'd rather spend it in the shops now...

All the onboard Spa services (hair, beauty etc ) are run by Steiner, not P & O. And that is the case for loads of cruise lines - Carnival, P & O, Cunard, Princess, RCI, Silversea, NCL..and more.

Another cheeky question - I colour my hair at home and am very happy with the results. I like my brand and know I am not allergic to it. Has anyone tried to have the salon colour their hair but supplied their own product? On a world cruise it will need doing at least once if not twice and I am not sure how easy it will be in my cabin.

Another cheeky question - I colour my hair at home and am very happy with the results. I like my brand and know I am not allergic to it. Has anyone tried to have the salon colour their hair but supplied their own product? On a world cruise it will need doing at least once if not twice and I am not sure how easy it will be in my cabin.

Yes I have done that a few times and it was not a problem for them to do that for me - whether their bosses knew or not, I do not know:)

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't very clear and should have mentioned Steiner running the salons. My thinking was (and I know little pigs are flying...) if cruise lines brought hair and beauty 'in house' under their management (so had a handle on quality control, products used, pricing, training, career progression etc) rather than privatised to Steiner, then perhaps cruisers wouldn't feel quite so ripped off or dissatisfied. Just a thought...pipe dreams have to start somewhere...!

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't very clear and should have mentioned Steiner running the salons. My thinking was (and I know little pigs are flying...) if cruise lines brought hair and beauty 'in house' under their management (so had a handle on quality control, products used, pricing, training, career progression etc) rather than privatised to Steiner, then perhaps cruisers wouldn't feel quite so ripped off or dissatisfied. Just a thought...pipe dreams have to start somewhere...!

I suspect (although dont know!) that that may well have been the case many years ago. But in business these days so many things are "outsourced" that you never know who is actually running certain aspects. It is the same for the shops on board.....nothing to do with P &O - all run by Harding Bros. Think "hospital cleaning" - most is contracted out to Cleaning firms nowadays and the hospitals don't have any real hands on control.....just a contract and service level agreement....ho hum!

On our first cruise many years ago my husband booked in for a massage £57 lots of money then believe me. Ok he was on holiday.On returning to the cabin after the massage he was carrying a Hugh big bag of Products ,when I asked him what was in the bag he stated that was the products that the girl had used on him, she asked him would he like to take away the products she had used on him,of course he sad yes. Very nice of her to give him the remaining products to take away. Or so he thought............. being a bit suspicious and after browsing thru the bag I found a receipt for £150. Yes it was for the products that the girl had used on him,however😱, she omitted to say that he had to pay for the additional products and that it was not the remainder of the products she had used on him. You may ask how do I remember how much the massage cost all those years ago.? The reason that I remember is because the only way we could afford a cruise then was because my husband worked for Cunard and we cruised two for the price of one and the one fare was £200. Could have had another cruise for the price of his massage and additional products 😂

Tears of laughing now thinking about it but believe me the only tears then was how are we going to pay for it when we got home. No OBC in those days.

As you have guessed NO he has not been allowed back again on his own for a massage. 😂😂😂

I have had a couple of manicures while on board - a nice thing to do on a sea day. However, the first time she was so late starting (with no explanation or apology) that I was late for the Captain's cocktail party.

Last year the girl was not people friendly at all - I'm used to having a good chat when having this sort of thing. It was hard work and not a pleasant experience. And then they push for the hard sell (which I resisted as I was aware from the last time) BUT they stick a gratutity on top as well!! And I'm too soft to ask for it to be removed.

I decided they don't have to build up a client base on a ship like they do on land so obviously don't really care. I won't be booking one onboard again.

On our first cruise many years ago my husband booked in for a massage £57 lots of money then believe me. Ok he was on holiday.On returning to the cabin after the massage he was carrying a Hugh big bag of Products ,when I asked him what was in the bag he stated that was the products that the girl had used on him, she asked him would he like to take away the products she had used on him,of course he sad yes. Very nice of her to give him the remaining products to take away. Or so he thought............. being a bit suspicious and after browsing thru the bag I found a receipt for £150. Yes it was for the products that the girl had used on him,however[emoji33], she omitted to say that he had to pay for the additional products and that it was not the remainder of the products she had used on him. You may ask how do I remember how much the massage cost all those years ago.? The reason that I remember is because the only way we could afford a cruise then was because my husband worked for Cunard and we cruised two for the price of one and the one fare was £200. Could have had another cruise for the price of his massage and additional products [emoji23]

Tears of laughing now thinking about it but believe me the only tears then was how are we going to pay for it when we got home. No OBC in those days.

As you have guessed NO he has not been allowed back again on his own for a massage. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Wow lol I would have taken the lot back and demanded a refund [emoji23]

Yes I have done that a few times and it was not a problem for them to do that for me - whether their bosses knew or not, I do not know:)

Thanks - I may give it a try then.

Whitechapel girl, I think I am on the same cruise as you and I have already booked and paid for my wash and blow dry for formal nights.

I did it through cruise personaliser, I think it was under the spa section then there was a sub category for hair appointments.

I have short hair and it cost me £30 but it does say to pop in on day one so they can check the length as long hair does cost more.