Upsell criteria

jcann4444

I would be curious as to what the Upsell Department looks at when they offer one.

Do they look at booking date, comped cruise cert(CAS) etc., what cabin you booked, Latitudes Level.

It would be helpful to have a list of the criteria used and offers made.

I doubt they care all that much.....its about filling the more expensive rooms. Criteria is going to be all about how many cabins are available and how far away from sailing they are. If 1 cabin available for upsell, they may be fairly strict as to who they make that offer to. If 20 cabins available, they'll probably take all comers.

I recently upsold on Escape from a BX to an H6. I have 1 cruise under my belt with NCL, and called 33 days out (someone on our roll call posted about receiving an email from Upsell, so I knew they had "released" rooms). I made an offer, they countered, and I accepted. I would have paid the original price, but I saved myself $300 by just asking. I've seen posts from others sailing Getaway & Breakaway at the same time who were told they had to be minisuite or above to do an upsell. I didn't look but I assume there were more Haven cabins already sold on those two ships.

On my first Getaway cruise, I received an email and took an upsell from a guarantee inside...just to de-bunk that "mini-suite and above" rumor. Maybe it's changed, I don't know...

Edited by zackarykeef

On my first Getaway cruise, I received an email and took an upsell from a guarantee inside...just to de-bunk that "mini-suite and above" rumor. Maybe it's changed, I don't know...

Do you remember how close you were to the sailing when you did the upsell?

We booked in a balcony on the DAWN, about 30 days out we did an upsell to a family suite with balcony, then one week out we did another upsell to a DOS.

I mentioned on our roll call that a family suite with balcony was available and someone from our call called and did an upsell to the suite that we had given up.

Nope, it hasn't changed. I just got an upsell from a studio into a Haven Spa Suite. I was 31 days out.

We are first time cruisers with no special status cruising the Dawn 5/8-5/18.

We originally booked an inside gty cabin for 4 (booked early February).

I called the upsell dept more than 30 days in advance and was told nothing was available.

I never received an upsell e-mail.

I called again this past Monday morning (7 days out from sail date and the day after they took the option to book this cruise off of the website), was given multiple upsell offers and ended up taking an offer to move from inside gty to mini suite w/ balcony for $200/pp, $400 total.

At the time I took the offer, there were 7 mini suite w/ balcony cabins available. I read later that day (or the next) in my roll call that there were no mini suites left (who knows if that was true or not, but it is what NCL was saying).

How much did this cost you if you don't mind me asking?

1200 PP , since I'm coming out of a studio single supplement applies so 2400 total. I also had to pay another 200 to. up my insurance. Not cheap but still about half price against what I would have paid at full asking price. Note that I called them, they didn't call me, for whatever that's worth.[emoji6]

I would be curious as to what the Upsell Department looks at when they offer one.

Do they look at booking date, comped cruise cert(CAS) etc., what cabin you booked, Latitudes Level.

It would be helpful to have a list of the criteria used and offers made.

Hi,

A close friend of mine is actually a NCL "insider" and he told me that they (NCL) upsell department start to look at low volume bookings 6 months out and monitor the inventory with a eagles eye...NCL gives offers to booked guests with last names starting with A through M and then after 60 days whatever is left will be offered to N through Z.

its a pretty old school system...i know....also my "insider" said that he in particular search out guests with unique last names which does not follow the alphabet criteria...so if your last name is unique...your in...but again ...this is all coming from an NCL "insider" so you know its true.

Best,

Mark

Hi,

A close friend of mine is actually a NCL "insider" and he told me that they (NCL) upsell department start to look at low volume bookings 6 months out and monitor the inventory with a eagles eye...NCL gives offers to booked guests with last names starting with A through M and then after 60 days whatever is left will be offered to N through Z.

its a pretty old school system...i know....also my "insider" said that he in particular search out guests with unique last names which does not follow the alphabet criteria...so if your last name is unique...your in...but again ...this is all coming from an NCL "insider" so you know its true.

Best,

Mark

Very interesting information, thank you. Unfortunately my last name is near the end... but it is very unique. So I have that going for me. :p

It seems upsells come to those who book with NCL. Has anyone called after booking with their own TA and could do an upsell after final payment?

I booked with a TA and called and got an upsell

Hi,

Best,

Mark

That is interesting.... We have gotten 3 upsells in the last several years. We are an unusual G name. Things that make you go hmmmm. :D

Hi,

Best,

Mark

Because I posted earlier stating that I received my upsell email only 3 or 4 days before sailing, just thought that I would throw out there that our last names start with A and M, so...that doesn't fit this. Also, I've never heard of anyone getting an upsell >60 days before? That seems early to me...who knows.